Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix S/PDIF Out Loses Sync Too Often

monkeymanx

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to frustrate you more, but I assume you're sure it's the same dropout issue?  Prior to the fix, 100% of the time if I played 2 hours the dropout happened at least once.  Since the fix I have played 2-3 hours quite a few times without a single dropout.

Sometimes drops would be sudden and total, sometimes the dropouts would start with staticky in-n-out, then total silence. The latter is what happened this time. What's worrying is that I'd thought that it was fixed, as it hadn't happened since the update. I've also been having a (not new) problem with random static and pops, seemingly just on the 1/4" outs. So I'm back to using XLR to my interface/mixer. Not that I can hear all that much difference between analog and digital outs, but I want what I paid for, d##  it!

OH CRAP! It's worse than that! Now it's dropping out WITHOUT a digital suspect! I thought, "well maybe it's my G10?", so I swapped to a cable, no joy!

Seems like the whole unit is dying! 

Can't say I've ever had one with staticky-in-and-out. I do get an occasional, but very rare, occurrence where the sound cuts out for no apparent reason and stays silent until I unplug the spdif cable and plug it back in. Other than that I haven't had any of the quick split second ones since updating to 2.54.

About the only thing I can think of doing would be a global reset, or possibly trying the device on a different circuit entirely.

• 2 months later...

If you're having a ground loop issue, it can present kind of like that, USB is a notorious cause of this. I can't run my H9s direct on USB or I get a big loop with the Helix, H9s, computers, DAW, so I always hook up the H9s on bluetooth for configuring and control... 

A total lack of ground so there is excessive RFI getting in the digital can also corrupt unbalanced digital audio (SPdif) like that. I've even had properly grounded and shielded AES balanced audio quit in a high static environment doing audio for MNF...  Static Guard became my friend. If you are in a situation where you get static zaps quite a bit, it can raise hell with digital audio streams.

Not saying you have any of these, just offer the ideas to consider...

Sorry I never got back on this! I wanted to wait a while to see if it was all good.

I wound up sending the unit to L6. They apparently had to replace a number of boards.

I've had it back for a while now and all is good!

Round trip one week. Great service!

• 4 years later...

Sorry for necrobumping this, but I had the issue with SPDIF loosing sync as well, today. It turned out that it happened whenever I moved in my chair. It isn't the first office chair I had that sends out EMI. Anyway, my RME interface offers the luxury of an AES port. Connecting the Helix to that fixed the issue. Seems like a symmetric digital connection is less prone to EMI.

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2017 at 2:47 PM, nigelhardwick said:

I went back and tried the AES connection to see if there was any difference. There was a difference. Instead of a total dropout of audio, it crackled and popped. I raised a ticket with Line 6 and they again re-iterated that it was a problem they are aware of and as yet there is no timeframe for a fix, with no workaround. I was contacted shortly after, to be told to try firmware 2.30, which was released yesterday. Well, I've downloaded 2.30 and installed it. Unfortunately it made no difference.

I didn't buy the Helix specifically to use the SPDIF or AES connections, I bought it because I needed to get excited and inspired about playing guitar again and the HD500X wasn't doing that for me. I'm a composer more than a player so as long as I have a decent signal into my DAW for recording, I am happy. I don't really want to disconnect my audio interface and use the USB on the Helix so I guess my only alternative now is to use the line out connections. This is where I wish I had a patchbay but I can manage. This doesn't detract from the fact that my unit is faulty straight out of the box, firmware issue or not.

I'm upset and frustrated because from a non-professional standpoint (although I am trying to become professional), I have made a huge investment in Line 6 equipment (huge for someone who isn't making a living yet). First, I purchased a brand new JTV-89 that was virtually unplayable (suffered from fret buzz at various places on the board) until I paid extra to have it professionally setup and the model actuater switch still doesn't work because the shaft is too short (yes I saw the mod where you add a piece of folded paper into the know but come on, line 6 is a professional company); an HD500X, which to be fair spent more of it's time off than on only because it didn't inspire me tonally for recording; and now after taking a loan and spending more money than I ever have on a piece of equipment that everyone is raving about and to get 200$ now, to find that it doesn't work the way it was intended straight out of the box, well. My next purchase was to be an L2T or L2M, but how can I trust that this is the best option for me now? Getting inspired isn't just about the tone, it's about the after service too. The wasted hours when you first find there is a problem and search for a solution is kinda soul destroying. If you feel a company has let you down, does that not deflate you somewhat? Line 6 have been in the business for quite a few years now so you would think they would have a little more professionalism by now, especially as Yamaha are part of the picture.

Taking it back to previous comments where someone said they use the SPDIF and they don't have an issue with dropout; another said they got a replacement and haven't had an issue with the new unit, that suggests that not all the units are affected by this problem. So how then can it be a firmware issue? If there is no timeframe for a fix, that says to me that it isn't a priority. That could be because not enough people have raised it as an issue, maybe because they don't use it so don't really care or are unaware. It could also be that they are concentrating on getting things ready for another launch with shows coming up in the new year. Numbers would tell the real story but people only report what is broken and if they don't use that connection (or they do and it is fine), then we won't have a true indication as to how many units are affected by this issue. I'm still yet to be convinced that this is a firmware issue.

It sounds like you've been through a frustrating experience with your Line 6 Helix setup. It's disappointing when a piece of equipment doesn't work as expected, especially when you've invested time and money into it. It's understandable that you're upset and questioning the reliability of Line 6 products, especially given your previous issues with the JTV-89 and HD500X.

The lack of a clear solution or timeframe for fixing the problem with the AES connection adds to the frustration. It's concerning that Line 6 hasn't addressed this issue promptly, especially considering their reputation in the industry. The fact that some users report no issues with their units while others experience problems suggests that there may be more to the issue than just a firmware issue.

Ultimately, trust in a company's products and support is crucial, especially when you're relying on them to fuel your creativity as a composer and musician. Hopefully, Line 6 will address these concerns and provide a satisfactory resolution for you and other affected users.

On 4/20/2024 at 5:06 PM, BerniceBerger said:

It sounds like you've been through a frustrating experience with your Line 6 Helix setup. It's disappointing when a piece of equipment doesn't work as expected, especially when you've invested time and money into it. It's understandable that you're upset and questioning the reliability of Line 6 products, especially given your previous issues with the JTV-89 and HD500X.

The lack of a clear solution or timeframe for fixing the problem with the AES connection adds to the frustration. It's concerning that Line 6 hasn't addressed this issue promptly, especially considering their reputation in the industry. The fact that some users report no issues with their units while others experience problems suggests that there may be more to the issue than just a firmware issue.

Ultimately, trust in a company's products and support is crucial, especially when you're relying on them to fuel your creativity as a composer and musician. Hopefully, Line 6 will address these concerns and provide a satisfactory resolution for you and other affected users.

You realize that this is an 8-year-old thread and the person you're replying to hasn't been back in 7 years?

I'm thinking their problem was solved, and they never got around to reporting back.

FWIW - after they replaced some boards on mine 6 years ago, the digital I/O (AES and SPDIF) have worked fine.

I see you're a new member so WELCOME and BEWARE of ZOMBIE THREADS!

They'll eat your brain! ;-)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1