Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix S/PDIF Out Loses Sync Too Often

monkeymanx

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to frustrate you more, but I assume you're sure it's the same dropout issue?  Prior to the fix, 100% of the time if I played 2 hours the dropout happened at least once.  Since the fix I have played 2-3 hours quite a few times without a single dropout.

Sometimes drops would be sudden and total, sometimes the dropouts would start with staticky in-n-out, then total silence. The latter is what happened this time. What's worrying is that I'd thought that it was fixed, as it hadn't happened since the update. I've also been having a (not new) problem with random static and pops, seemingly just on the 1/4" outs. So I'm back to using XLR to my interface/mixer. Not that I can hear all that much difference between analog and digital outs, but I want what I paid for, d##  it!

OH CRAP! It's worse than that! Now it's dropping out WITHOUT a digital suspect! I thought, "well maybe it's my G10?", so I swapped to a cable, no joy!

Seems like the whole unit is dying! 

Can't say I've ever had one with staticky-in-and-out. I do get an occasional, but very rare, occurrence where the sound cuts out for no apparent reason and stays silent until I unplug the spdif cable and plug it back in. Other than that I haven't had any of the quick split second ones since updating to 2.54.

About the only thing I can think of doing would be a global reset, or possibly trying the device on a different circuit entirely.

• 2 months later...

If you're having a ground loop issue, it can present kind of like that, USB is a notorious cause of this. I can't run my H9s direct on USB or I get a big loop with the Helix, H9s, computers, DAW, so I always hook up the H9s on bluetooth for configuring and control... 

A total lack of ground so there is excessive RFI getting in the digital can also corrupt unbalanced digital audio (SPdif) like that. I've even had properly grounded and shielded AES balanced audio quit in a high static environment doing audio for MNF...  Static Guard became my friend. If you are in a situation where you get static zaps quite a bit, it can raise hell with digital audio streams.

Not saying you have any of these, just offer the ideas to consider...

Sorry I never got back on this! I wanted to wait a while to see if it was all good.

I wound up sending the unit to L6. They apparently had to replace a number of boards.

I've had it back for a while now and all is good!

Round trip one week. Great service!

• 4 years later...

Sorry for necrobumping this, but I had the issue with SPDIF loosing sync as well, today. It turned out that it happened whenever I moved in my chair. It isn't the first office chair I had that sends out EMI. Anyway, my RME interface offers the luxury of an AES port. Connecting the Helix to that fixed the issue. Seems like a symmetric digital connection is less prone to EMI.