Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

1st month impression

pilottes

Only one month! Well it's a lot of ground to cover. I have been using a GT-10 for a few years now with my JVM. Nice rig but there always better and more versatile.

Got DeLaune patches. Got me started but I needed to work it out for my JVM as well. Not the best of friends since teh MIDI implementation in HELIX cripples what I could achieve but I digress,

I created my own simple setup end experimented with the amps, speakers and effects. Yes it is all good but... you still need to take the time get what you really get turned on by. I've just stached the surface so far but found a few decent sounds to cover a lot of territory, mostly rock, hard-rock and more. Sometime I got the feeling it's not quite there but in the mix over a backing track, I'm amazed! Can't stop playing now. It's that good for me. For the stuff I play, Helix is worth it already. 

Being a OCD type for sound and all guitar related tech I had to investigate the IRs. The free ones from Ownhammer and Redwirez at least. That cover V30 and 1960. I also bought the Diezel G12K100 from  cabir.eu. They sounds OK but its a lot of comparaison and decision to make and in the end I did like a combination of speakers I liked for a DUAL CAB in Helix (2x12 Silver Bell-4038 and 4x12 GreenBack20 121). I guess the final call depends on the type of response you need ie-djent, blues, rock.

I used the Helix twice live and I modified my programming since. It's getting there. I am planning to use the Helix amp for Clean, tweed and rhytm rock feed to JVM power amp and a 4-th channel to crunch-red JVM for lead through FX-loop. All this in a single preset. No latency !!!

Here my first contribution to the custom tone library. 3-amps single preset. I really like it.

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/1930788/

After a month. I feel much better about the Helix. Althought I'm ready for an other update to fix as much as possible the little things. I also feel that the effects are a bit on the limited side. I woul even prefer fewer but more flexible. What I'm after is good sounding equipment. I don't care much for reproduction of such and such vintage pedals.

OK enough  typing. Got to go back playing that thing.

Great group! And the Helix is only begining. Fantastic!

• Upvote 1

Out of interest which loop are you using on the JVM?  Are you using the serial/parallel effects loop or the pre/power amp loop?

Also, what's the problem you see with the MIDI?

Curious as I'm probably going to get a Helix ordered tomorrow and I'll be running it through a JVM205c

Mike

I use the 4CM serial FX loop on JVM. The way I'm gonna ue it next time is JVM preamp set on CRUCH-channel Red-mode. FX-1 on Helix is turn on by a switch that also activate a delay specific for lead. 

The JVM-410H has 4channels with 3 mode each. There is a jump in volume when you go from a green to yellow to red on each channel. The only way to control the jump is by reducing the signal within the Helix by controling levels, activating a gain pedal or a simple EQ at some negative levels, you get the idea, Those changes have to remain active for all the time you using that given channel. The switch has to be in latching mode. When you deselect the switch the selected JVM channel-mode remains selected. (I did not mentionned that I had 12 patches setup preassign on the JVM first corresponding to MIDI PC 1, 2, 3 ... 12 each corresponding to a unique channel-mode ch-1-4 and G-Y-R modes. I first thought I would set a footswitch to send a PC MIDI message to select the perfect JVM channel for the job but you end up having to tap dance a lot and I ran into situation live where you get lost in which status the JVM is in???? Anyhow, I tried with a combination of latching footswitch and momentary but it les than perfect. It would be so easy to fix by adding the possibility of sending a different MIDI PC message when you lit and you unlit like that config for the CC# messages in the global settings.

I created an entry in ideascape for it. Please do vote. Thanks

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/On-sending-MIDI-PC-commands/810763-23508