Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Digital clock on Helix?!

shawncooke1

Ive had the Helix for about a week now, and have so many times wondered what time it was in a dark room with just the lights of the pedal.  I then have to turn the light on, or fumble for my phone to see.  As awesome as the Helix is, I think it would be great if they could incorporate a way of having a digital clock in the top right corner.  Nothing seems to be using that real-estate on the main screen.  It would help while playing live for too..when to end the set, when the club closes, etc..  I am still new to the forum and the way things work, but would like to recommend it to line 6.  How do I do that?  Thanks in advance.

If you go to post an idea on there add a countdown timer I think that would be useful as well as to how much stage time you have left a lot of times we play with other bands at events and we only have a certain amount of time... So a countdown timer would come in very handy.

Ive had the Helix for about a week now, and have so many times wondered what time it was in a dark room with just the lights of the pedal.  I then have to turn the light on, or fumble for my phone to see.  As awesome as the Helix is, I think it would be great if they could incorporate a way of having a digital clock in the top right corner.  Nothing seems to be using that real-estate on the main screen.  It would help while playing live for too..when to end the set, when the club closes, etc..  I am still new to the forum and the way things work, but would like to recommend it to line 6.  How do I do that?  Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, that would require a battery inside the Helix to keep the clock working when the Helix is off. All the preset information is probably stored on eeprom memory that needs no power to retain its data from one use to the next. So if they could come up with some digital clock on the screen, you'd have to set it each time you turn on your Helix, can't wait to hear the complaints about that in the forums....

A watch, phone, iPad, or some standalone solution seems better to me. NASA spent years and probably millions of $$ to create an ink pen that works in zero G. A pencil works fine....

Just saying...

Dave

• Upvote 1

Here's an amazing highly portable product that meets both needs, and then some, at a very reasonable price!

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Mens-W756-1AVCR-Sport-Watch/dp/B0013M6BRA

That looks like some kind a newfangled digital thingy I'm not sure if I would understand how to work it and maybe I can velcro it right to the front of the Helix and put a light on it so I could see the numbers.

Huh.  I guess it was a horrible idea, or maybe a few of you are just A-HOLES.  Give me some time to figure it out and I'll get back with you.  I don't wear a watch, nor do I plan to. Maybe you can see if Amazon has one big enough to fit around your neck, and have a friend see how tight he can get it.   Thank you davidb7170 for being the intelligent one here and letting me know "why" my idea wouldn't work.  That makes sense about the battery and eprom.  

Huh.  I guess it was a horrible idea, or maybe a few of you are just A-HOLES.  Give me some time to figure it out and I'll get back with you.  I don't wear a watch, nor do I plan to. Maybe you can see if Amazon has one big enough to fit around your neck, and have a friend see how tight he can get it.   Thank you davidb7170 for being the intelligent one here and letting me know "why" my idea wouldn't work.  That makes sense about the battery and eprom.  

Yeah, forums are rife with people too eager to ridicule.  I have to be mindful not to fall into that trap myself.  I don't even like the "Down Vote" option at Line 6 IdeaScale.  I think that to not vote for an idea you don't like is sufficient and the down voting thing just seems more like a slap-down to me.  Completely unnecessary and borderline belligerent.

• Upvote 1

Huh.  I guess it was a horrible idea, or maybe a few of you are just A-HOLES.  .......  

OK - guilty as charged. In all seriousness I thought this was a joke thread.

Line 6 should include a digital clock on their products because some people choose not to wear a watch and find it too troublesome to fumble around for their phone? Really?

Sorry for not taking that seriously.

• Upvote 1

It's not a silly idea. Loads of people have little glow clocks on their pedalboards and course it's easier to glance down than fumble around to check your phone. Not sure it would work on the Helix though with no internal battery.

Ive had the Helix for about a week now, and have so many times wondered what time it was in a dark room with just the lights of the pedal.  I then have to turn the light on, or fumble for my phone to see.  As awesome as the Helix is, I think it would be great if they could incorporate a way of having a digital clock in the top right corner.  

Im glad it was time you wanted and not mother nature calling.... Id hate to open the Helix box and find a small urinal inside.  ;)

• Downvote 1

OK - guilty as charged. In all seriousness I thought this was a joke thread.

Line 6 should include a digital clock on their products because some people choose not to wear a watch and find it too troublesome to fumble around for their phone? Really?

Sorry for not taking that seriously.

Except by that logic, we would never have had clocks on phones. "Really, a phone manufacturer should put a clock on their phones so that customers have to take it out of their pocket to read it, instead of just glancing at their watch".

I actually thought is was a sensible idea, but if the hardware isn't there to do it, so be it.

• Upvote 1

Tip from the road (maybe a series?):

If you fly to gigs with a pedalboard and use a clock, remove the clock from your pedalboard before checking it with the airport. When security x-rays your bags and sees a bunch of boxes, wires, and a clock, they get very curious. I opened my bag at a gig with 14 minutes until a very rigid start time (Country Thunder in AZ opening for some big country star of some sort) only to find a PILE of things that USED to be my pedalboard. I had to frantically rebuild it, realize I had bad backline amp, find another backline amp and literally start playing the very second I got my last string in tune. By the time my nerves settled the show was over. Remove the clock, word to the wise.

• Upvote 1

Tip from the road (maybe a series?):

If you fly to gigs with a pedalboard and use a clock, remove the clock from your pedalboard before checking it with the airport. When security x-rays your bags and sees a bunch of boxes, wires, and a clock, they get very curious. I opened my bag at a gig with 14 minutes until a very rigid start time (Country Thunder in AZ opening for some big country star of some sort) only to find a PILE of things that USED to be my pedalboard. I had to frantically rebuild it, realize I had bad backline amp, find another backline amp and literally start playing the very second I got my last string in tune. By the time my nerves settled the show was over. Remove the clock, word to the wise.

I just realized I gave pedalboard advice on a HELIX forum, and ended it with "word to the wise" to boot. Man, I'm a dork!

I like the clock idea—even if it doesn't end up in Helix, it very well could spark an idea that does. Ignore the haters, Shawn. B)

Indeed, no negativity here, I get where you're coming from. I don't wear a watch (that space is reserved for all my poser jewelry), and my phone doesn't come to the stage with me, so I've had a clock until Helix. I will find a cheap, small clock of some sort and Velcro it somewhere, maybe to my FRFR if it doesn't rattle. Every once in a while you may get a gig where time REALLY matters, so you have to be prepared.

• Upvote 1

I like the clock idea—even if it doesn't end up in Helix, it very well could spark an idea that does. Ignore the haters, Shawn. B)

Thank you my friend.  I really thought more people would agree.  Maybe I need to stop worrying about time.  My wife and kids seem to live just fine without it, lol.

There must be 150 clocks in my home. My wife collects them you see. The Chrysler 300 dash was ruined by that stupid looking analog clock in the middle of it. I have be at work every day @ 7 am, on time. Red lights know when I'm coming and time themselves accordingly. So please don't take it the wrong way when I say on my Helix, I'd rather have a tachometer...

WOW this turned ugly really quick......  Dude I was totally serious about a count down timer I think it would be a great Idea and if you had not suggested a clock I would have never thought of it. when the joke was made I just played along and took it as a friendly jab and laughed. even when the point was made about an internal battery was made I still thought, hey the countdown timer will still work. I love the idea but at the same time thought I don't want to sacrifice DSP to get it so a "count down block" would be great if you have enough room left to use it just like the other blocks.

WOW this turned ugly really quick......  Dude I was totally serious about a count down timer I think it would be a great Idea and if you had not suggested a clock I would have never thought of it. when the joke was made I just played along and took it as a friendly jab and laughed. even when the point was made about an internal battery was made I still thought, hey the countdown timer will still work. I love the idea but at the same time thought I don't want to sacrifice DSP to get it so a "count down block" would be great if you have enough room left to use it just like the other blocks.

No harm done. I didn't know it was a joke until i was told. Im all about joking, trust me. It was the new to the forum, getting bashed is what I thought.  When I knew it was in fun, I understood.  I really would like a clock though!  lol  B)

My apologies, again, to Shawn.

I made a joke. At the time I thought I was following along with a joke-in-progress. My mistake. My attempt at humour was perceived as hating, which I deeply regret. Not my intention at all.

Lesson learned (again): humour is easily misinterpreted when expressed in black and white text.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, forums are rife with people too eager to ridicule.  I have to be mindful not to fall into that trap myself.  I don't even like the "Down Vote" option at Line 6 IdeaScale.  I think that to not vote for an idea you don't like is sufficient and the down voting thing just seems more like a slap-down to me.  Completely unnecessary and borderline belligerent.

Couldn't agree with you more. Down voting is unnecessary.

• Upvote 1