Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Great News! Latest Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.4 works with Helix!

jshimkoski

I have great news!

I just did a quick test recording with Logic Pro X on the latest version of Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11.4, which was released today) and FINALLY the glitches are gone!

I totally recommend an upgrade for everyone that has had issues using the Helix as their audio interface.

I cannot wait to start recording directly with it!

• Upvote 2

Hmmm, do I dare move up from Yosemite? Anyone else got it running on the latest El Capitan?

I was thinking the same thing! Although, I have a big gig this weekend so any updates wouldn't be until after but, it sure would be nice to get back to El Cap!

I have a mid 2012 Mac book pro. Will test tomorrow. Works great on an older non-retina Mac book pro.

Me too, but alas, I can't upgrade at this time without buying a bunch of new software. Too much of what I use is not good with newer OS releases. I'm stuck at Mavericks.

On my 2.8GHz MacBook Pro mid 2014 with El Capitan it works at 256 samples, but not 128 which I would use with my RME Babyface. At 128 I get a crackle every 5 seconds or so.

Is the crackle actually being recorded? EVen with my MOTU interface with Logic X at certain levels I hear crackle in the headphones/speakers, but it's not actually being recorded to disc.

Is the crackle actually being recorded? EVen with my MOTU interface with Logic X at certain levels I hear crackle in the headphones/speakers, but it's not actually being recorded to disc.

Peter,

In my case it does not matter, I'm not recording, in the conventional way any way. I use USB 3/4 for sending audio to my MacBook to Ableton Live for looping and effect plugins such as 2CAudio B2 then back out through Helix.

On my mid 2012 Mac Book Pro Retina, I can drive S-Gear with Helix at the lowest buffer setting and get no click or pops, and no USB audio failures with OS X 10.11.4. However, the Helix App still connects only occasionally and has trouble staying connected when plugged into that computer's USB 3 port. A USB2 hub might be a temporary solution. I don't get this problem on my older Mac Book Pro which has USB 2 ports.

But this is great progress. Helix is now useful as a USB audio device on OS X. And it works great as a pedal board into S-Gear. S-Gear provides the amp models and back of the amp effects (modulation, delay and reverb) while Helix provides everything else (compressor, distortion pedals, UniVibe, phasor, etc.). I've been working on a blog posting describing this, but had to wait until the USB audio issue was fixed. Will try to get that done this weekend.

Hey all, just curious as to your position on this thought... Usually I will only do a clean install of a new OS, but it is so time intensive.  Reinstalling NI Komplete, Ableton, all the drivers etc. etc. etc.  Really would love to avoid the hassle and just update to El Capitan.  Thoughts?  Thanks all!

Me too, but alas, I can't upgrade at this time without buying a bunch of new software. Too much of what I use is not good with newer OS releases. I'm stuck at Mavericks.

you know - in so many ways i wish i was back on Mavericks...   My iMac  since El Cap  has this annoying spinning ball wait thing going on... something reported by many people on apple forums too..  grrr 

Interestingly the MacBook Pro i'm writing this on also has El Cap but has had an SSD drive fitted for a few months and thus a clean install ( i think Yosemite then El Cap but forget )  and runs fine.  

the iMac has been upgraded thru many releases - and has all my music AND developer software too.... 

but i hope this fixes the HELIX USB thing for me too...

WHY OH WHY is it that somehow things never get to run FASTER when we get a new OS release ??? 

Hey all, just curious as to your position on this thought... Usually I will only do a clean install of a new OS, but it is so time intensive.  Reinstalling NI Komplete, Ableton, all the drivers etc. etc. etc.  Really would love to avoid the hassle and just update to El Capitan.  Thoughts?  Thanks all!

jut saw your post after I posted mine !  

yes i'm wondering whether to do a clan install of El Cap too... but have SO much software in HD  i'm very reluctant to.. 

Also - bearing in mind the spotlight indexing thing on OSX....  does anyone here know if Spotlight indexes EVERY drive connected ?  can i opt to only have certain drives indexed ?    the indexing daemons on OSX  seem to take control and CPU more and more..... 

WHY OH WHY is it that somehow things never get to run FASTER when we get a new OS release ??? 

Fix one thing break two. Tis the nature of updates on all us beta testers. I won't be using Helix as any kind of DAW like interface. I will be running its audio outs into Apollo's audio inputs. I'll use the USB link on Helix with an iMac for IR's, patch saves, and the editor,  when its released. 

jut saw your post after I posted mine !  

yes i'm wondering whether to do a clan install of El Cap too... but have SO much software in HD  i'm very reluctant to.. 

Also - bearing in mind the spotlight indexing thing on OSX....  does anyone here know if Spotlight indexes EVERY drive connected ?  can i opt to only have certain drives indexed ?    the indexing daemons on OSX  seem to take control and CPU more and more..... 

I did an upgrade installation over Yosemite both on my MacBook Pro and my iMac and both worked without any hassle.

Yes, you can tell Spotlight what and where to Index, you can exclude volumes or even single folders from being indexed.

Make a backup (just in case) and then do an updade instead of a clean install.