Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV gig bags

I purchased a JTV-59 a few years ago and a 69 a year later.  So both are a few years old.  My issue is BOTH gig bags have become basically unusable as the handles have torn off on both of them.  Both of them have working shoulder straps, but each of them are showing similar strain that I expect at some point to give way as well.  

I'm not putting rocks in the pocket or any other excessive weight.  I play for my church, so the thing leaves home once or twice per week at most. 

I guess if it were only one of them, I would've written it off as "I guess I've been hard on it or I got a bad case."  But both?  

Any others run into this?

I hope I don't offend OP by hijacking his post..... but could anyone confirm the gig bag that came with their Variax. I have just bought a JTV59 (2014) and was fully expecting the grey double pouch version, but it came with in black with a single exterior pouch. No big deal as I plan on getting a SKB56 hardcase to lug around (I personally don't fancy risking damaging a 900€ guitar in a 30€ gig bag), but just curious. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

I have both the 59 and 69S, and both came in the grey gig bag with the double pouch. My 59 is from late 2010, and my 69S is from 2012. I use a Gator rectangular universal ABS hard-shell for my 69S case, and an SKB ABS LP-style hard-shell case for my 59, though.

I use my L6 gig bags to store other guitars. Dunno if they changed gig bags, hadn't heard anything about that. I do know the Standard comes with no gig bag, and was kind of surprised by that, though when I bought my Variax 300 in 2005, I did not get a bag with that (bought it in a small town music store), and that's when I got the Gator case. My 300 is now in one of my L6 gig bags. 

Mine are in good shape, but they've not been out of my house. They're nice gig bags, but I'm not a gig bag fan in general....

Dave

• 1 month later...

I hope I don't offend OP by hijacking his post..... but could anyone confirm the gig bag that came with their Variax. I have just bought a JTV59 (2014) and was fully expecting the grey double pouch version, but it came with in black with a single exterior pouch. No big deal as I plan on getting a SKB56 hardcase to lug around (I personally don't fancy risking damaging a 900€ guitar in a 30€ gig bag), but just curious. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes.

I have the grey double-pouch Line 6 Variax that came with my Variax 700 Electric, the model just prior to the JTV modeling guitars.  I also have the brown double-pouch Variax 700 Acoustic gig bag which is sllightly shorter.  Neither have been used, and neither have any scratches or marks on them.  If you're interested in either or both of these, please zip-off a reply to this note. 

The hard cases I bought for the 700s are pretty heavy and cumbersome and if I were still playing out I would prefer the the gig bags because I'm not one who throws their gulitars around.  People who throw instruments around without thinking about it aren't in my inner circle.  Gig cases are a boon to roadies and singer-songwriters due to their lightweight construction and they're made for the occasional bump like when you are going up and down stairways or narrow places when traveling.    If you travel by car or truck, use the hard cases.  And they make airline cases for those who fly with their axes  Talk about heavy!!!!

I purchased a JTV-59 a few years ago and a 69 a year later.  So both are a few years old.  My issue is BOTH gig bags have become basically unusable as the handles have torn off on both of them.  Both of them have working shoulder straps, but each of them are showing similar strain that I expect at some point to give way as well.  

I'm not putting rocks in the pocket or any other excessive weight.  I play for my church, so the thing leaves home once or twice per week at most. 

I guess if it were only one of them, I would've written it off as "I guess I've been hard on it or I got a bad case."  But both?  

Any others run into this?

Yes I have had one handle come off the 69 gig bag that I use twice a week - with care. The stitching came loose and continued use worked it further until one end of a handle separated from the side.

That was after 5 years of use, which isn't really that bad for a soft gig bag. My solution? I got out a needle and thread (doubled up) and sewed it back on again - it really isn't that difficult a job.

• 5 months later...

I can definitively say  that the newer JTV (one pocket) cases were quite a bit less rugged and not as durable. I own 4 59's (one, a 59p) and a 69. The 59p and 69 have inferior cases. Having said that. one of my early 59 cases had both handles come apart. 

As other have posted, if you're a working musician, get a better case.

The best gig bag I've gotten came with one of my Carvin guitars. It's kind of a soft gig bag with semi firm padded sides, so it holds it's shape. It's the best of both worlds. It doesn't take up too much space, is light and easy to haul around, but gives more protection that a standard soft gig bag.