Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line6 sound samples realistic?

I'm curious how realistic these are for JTV owners.  In my case, if I buy a jtv59 it would be running through a POD hd500x into an Alto powered speaker at home and direct via PA mixer at gigs.

Variax Modeling Sound Samples

Two of the sounds I'm most interested in is the:
Chime

Based on* 1966 Rickenbacker® 370-12

and:
R-Billy

Based on* 1959 Gretsch® 6120

This is my favorite unanswerable question. Sound clips and advertising demos are a terrible way to judge anything, because you have no idea what actually went into producing the sounds you're hearing...regardless of whatever claims are made.

They're nice guitars. Buy it. Experiment with it. The odds of being able to reproduce a given tone that you heard based on someone else's settings, is essentially zero. You have to do it yourself.

• Upvote 1

I use that rickenbacker model on a cover we do of "Friday i'm in love" by the cure

It sounds great, I have no idea how authentic it is though as I've never owned a rickenbacker , however I can vouch for the fact that it's a very usable model

• Upvote 1

I own a '66 Ricki 370-12, and so I use that as part of my testing

when I work on JTV's. Very, very good match-up.

Used to crew for a band with a vintage Les Paul player, so I use that

when I test JTV's, very, very good match-up,.... along with several other

models of guitars I know or own.

As a result, I own four JTV's as well.

• Upvote 2

This is my favorite unanswerable question. Sound clips and advertising demos are a terrible way to judge anything, because you have no idea what actually went into producing the sounds you're hearing...regardless of whatever claims are made.

They're nice guitars. Buy it. Experiment with it. The odds of being able to reproduce a given tone that you heard based on someone else's settings, is essentially zero. You have to do it yourself.

I think the cool thing about the Variax though is that you can kind of do that. That's the whole beauty of it. If the certain guitar model doesn't sound right, try another, you know?

There were times when people posted a tone example for amp software, I replicate it and it doesn't sound right even though I have humbuckers too, well because there's more variables than that to what gets that tone from the guitar, and with the Variax, that opens up getting that tone down even better.

I'd play my SG for the longest time, and it sounds nice for what it is, but it won't nail all the sounds I want. For the longest time I wanted that thick layered honky/droning attack sound from In Flames Colony/Clayman and I can finally get that with the Les Paul models on my Variax, but not my SG because it doesn't have the same attack sound.

You know what I mean?

• 4 weeks later...

As already said, there are many variables... I was struggling to get a nice acoustic sounds, I was using different valve and transistor amps, out of which my home stereo system performed the best by far. Now I have purchases an Alto TS212 and WOW! What a difference! Just amazing sound quality. The small tweekes made on the Vintage Pre EQ are so much noticeable that can completely transform the guitar models. Now I can clearly hear the changes when dialing the Tone pot, the body acoustics is much more noticeable.

I have to try the rest of the model tomorrow.

I think that choosing the right amp for a particular guitar model is key in getting the maggiority of the "authenticity", whatever that might mean to you.

The JTV is a versatile guitar... Not the best from my collection but it is my main guitar, in fact I haven't used the rest for months now.