Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Strap locks?

Pretty sure the JTV comes without strap locks and just standard strap buttons, as to suggestions It really boils down to preference. Dunlop, Schaller, Hennessey etc. I prefer Dunlop as they have a larger button that can be used as a strap button in the event you have a different strap or forget the one with the locks on it. All have their merits and just like anything else that has a mechanical connection that system does require the occasional drop of machine oil to keep it from squeaking.

I have been using them for as long as I can remember and have not had an issue. I have also tried the Schaller version and they work well also but I liked the larger button of the Dunlop better so I have stuck with them. 

My 89f did not come with Strap locks. I put a set of Dunlops one it. I have one LP style guitar and have Schallers on it. As C-note said, I think both are really good. I prefer the Dunlops because of they use a clip to on the strap side. The Schallers have nut and that nut backed off on me once. A bit of tread locker on it solved that though.

Dunlops and Schallers, yeah, I've seen both come across my bench.

They work well.

Just be careful to not use too long of a screw. Seen too many times

where the screw went through into the cavity, shorting to the 3-Way Toggle

switch assembly on a JTV-59, and blowing all the electronics as a result.  

• Upvote 1

In the past I've used metal strap locks but since I got a black jtv 59 I didn't want to risk catching the paintwork with the end of the strap when I'm putting it on and taking it off so I got these,

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=252324249364&alt=web

They are really secure , fit in seconds, cheap.

A really simple idea to a simple problem.

The only drawback is you don't want to be taking them on and off all the time, so I just leave my strap attached at all times, it still fits in my gator case fine

I think fender make some like these too

Mine didn't come with strap locks, but I put Schaller's on all my guitars, and can interchange my straps from guitar to guitar. The screw heads on the stock strap buttons are too large for the Schaller buttons, so you do have to the Schaller screws. On my 69S, the tail button kept coming loose. Tried a longer screw, but it entered the mother board cavity. I ended up using a machine bolt, washer, and locking nut on that one. Found a small enough set at a local hardware store. Solid as a rock, now.

Didn't have any issues with installation on my 59.

Dave

• Upvote 1

Not sure whether to trust the local guitar center with the strap lock install.

It's a pair of screws. I'll say that again, because I think it bears repeating...a pair of screws...You could complete the "install" without help if you were missing an arm. "Trusting" anyone with it is comically unnecessary.

I'm hoping if I get the Dunlop strap locks I can re-use the screws already on the JTV 59 ( either with some soap, wax or maybe a tiny bit of toothpick and wood glue.  Assuming the existing screws may be larger than the new ones with the strap locks.

I really don't want to be doing any drilling or trying to use new screws if they're any longer than the originals.

I'm hoping if I get the Dunlop strap locks I can re-use the screws already on the JTV 59 ( either with some soap, wax or maybe a tiny bit of toothpick and wood glue. Assuming the existing screws may be larger than the new ones with the strap locks.

I really don't want to be doing any drilling or trying to use new screws if they're any longer than the originals.

I can't believe the degree of mental gymnastics that you're devoting to a set of strap locks. Why "assume" that the existing screws won't be compatible? Just buy the damn things. It will take all of 4.7 seconds to find out if they fit...then you can worry about drill bits, wood glue and toothpicks...IF you need to.

FWIW, the Dunlops worked just fine with the OEM screws on my 69. In all likelihood, it's a non-issue.

• Upvote 1

I can't believe the degree of mental gymnastics that you're devoting to a set of strap locks. Why "assume" that the existing screws won't be compatible? Just buy the damn things. It will take all of 4.7 seconds to find out if they fit...then you can worry about drill bits, wood glue and toothpicks...IF you need to.

FWIW, the Dunlops worked just fine with the OEM screws on my 69. In all likelihood, it's a non-issue.

I know, gotta do something while I wait for the guitar to arrive.  I'll shut up now   :-)