Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench HD won't recognize my Variax

Use Line-6 Monkey to update the JTV Firmware.

If the JTV firmware is lower than 2.00, then use original  Workbench app 

the more recent "Workbench HD" app requires Tyler Variax have  firmware 2.0 (or higher) installed.   

• 4 months later...

I have a JTV Variax.  I cannot get the Workbench HD to recognize the instrument.  I have read past posts on this problem and have tried to utilize other suggested fixes, without success.

Monkey says everything is up to date.  Here is my installed software:

USB firmware 1.03

Workbench HD 2.12

Line 6 Monkey 1.72

I have the JTV hooked up to the Variax USB hub which is connected to USB on my computer which is running Windows 10.  I have tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 and neither works with the Line 6 connection, although they work fine with other devices.  

There is a ¼ jack in the instrument, and the volume is turned up. The battery is fully charged and everything works fine when played through an amplifier.  I do not have any guitar models or tunings engaged. I have checked each one of the connections, have disconnected and reconnected them several times. Each time I do, the flashing red light briefly turns green, then goes back to flashing red.  When I start the Workbench HD 2.12 it says “Not connected†and getting it to rescan does not help. 

Any suggestions much appreciated. 

• 9 months later...

I have a JTV Variax.  I cannot get the Workbench HD to recognize the instrument.  I have read past posts on this problem and have tried to utilize other suggested fixes, without success.

Monkey says everything is up to date.  Here is my installed software:

USB firmware 1.03

Workbench HD 2.12

Line 6 Monkey 1.72

I have the JTV hooked up to the Variax USB hub which is connected to USB on my computer which is running Windows 10.  I have tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 and neither works with the Line 6 connection, although they work fine with other devices.  

There is a ¼ jack in the instrument, and the volume is turned up. The battery is fully charged and everything works fine when played through an amplifier.  I do not have any guitar models or tunings engaged. I have checked each one of the connections, have disconnected and reconnected them several times. Each time I do, the flashing red light briefly turns green, then goes back to flashing red.  When I start the Workbench HD 2.12 it says “Not connected†and getting it to rescan does not help. 

Any suggestions much appreciated. 

Thank you for your post ... I am having the exact same issue and am totally frustrated.  No manual to indicate what a blinking red light means.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, adamaudio said:

Two things.

Make sure you have clicked in the knob on the guitar till you see a light appear. Now the brain is engaged and ready to party.

Also, have you tried turning off and on again.

Ancient thread man... if they haven't figured it out by now, they ain't gonna.  ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with the RED light on the USB adapter. I've tried unplugging, installing earlier versions which connected the driver for the USB adapter without any problems using monkey 6, and after this It didn't work.  I've unplugged, restarted, stood on my head, slapped my mother, and it still didn't work. So, I updated to the earliest version of everything and the Red Light on the USB adapter still turns RED.

During all this Monkey shows everything with a Green Check!

At first plug in of the 1/4" line it is green for about 2 seconds, then it turns RED.  

I"ll be calling in tomorrow, as I called in FRIDAY to make sure I had the proper files set to download and install. Which I did, minutes after Line6 closes on Friday. I had guitarists of the last 40 years coming over to show them my NEW Line6 technology.  I'm sure you can imagine my, and their, disappointment. I followed instructions and it didn't work.  So, . .. Fix It!!

John G

The section on Workbench interface,...

Workbench Interface

Q: How do I get the Variax Workbench interface to recognize the James Tyler Variax guitar?
A: First, ensure that you have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for the Workbench interface from the Line 6 Downloads page. Then, ensure that the battery of the James Tyler Variax is charged and inserted into the guitar. Connect the Variax Workbench interface to the computer via USB, and also connect the James Tyler Variax guitar to the Workbench interface via the included VDI/Network cable. Lastly, connect a 1/4" cable into the guitar's output jack to power on the guitar (as the Workbench interface DOES NOT provide power to the guitar, this 'dummy' plug is necessary for the interface to recognize the JTV). The other end of the 1/4" cable does not need to be plugged into anything. You should see 2 green lights on the Workbench interface when everything is connected and being recognized properly.

• 4 months later...

"You should see 2 green lights on the Workbench interface when everything is connected and being recognized properly."

All I see is a red light on the USB end.

I am running an iMac with High Sierra, all Line 6 software has been updated. Plugged in 1/4" jack, and nothing but the red light. No lights on the RJ-45 end. Could really use some help.

16 hours ago, Steed353 said:

"You should see 2 green lights on the Workbench interface when everything is connected and being recognized properly."

All I see is a red light on the USB end.

I am running an iMac with High Sierra, all Line 6 software has been updated. Plugged in 1/4" jack, and nothing but the red light. No lights on the RJ-45 end. Could really use some help.

Hello Steed353 - is the guitar battery charged - do the models engage - can you hear audio output from 1/4" guitar jack?  That's pretty much what supreme mod/tech psarkissian outlined.  The guitar essentially needs to be ON for the RJ-45 to USB interface to function.  

If you tick those boxes and no LED that side of box there's problem with data and/or connection from guitar to interface.  

I checked one of my JTV interface running macbook Yosemite and when NOT connected to guitar but plugged into computer USB there's solid green LED USB.  RJ45 ether port flashes red.  

This is with no guitar connected so it would appear you have something acting differently.  Possibly unrelated to guitar?

That's what I think too. I tried multiple USB ports on my iMac and then directly into my Mac Pro tower and a powered USB hub. Now I am running High Sierra but it was listed on the compatible software for Line Monkey. Could be I got a bum VDI USB interface.
We'll see what solution I get from my support ticket. Fingers crossed.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:07 PM, psarkissian said:

Do not use a USB hub, go direct with the Variax interface device.

Refer to the user manual and Knowledge Base (here in the Forum) about that.

'As I stated in my previous post, I tried plugging it into two different Mac computers, and also a hub. None worked. I am still awaiting a resolution.

Ok, just got off the phone with customer service. As I suspected, I have a defective VDI interface unit. Guitar was recognized when I connected to my POD XT Live with the RJ-45 and a USB from my Mac to the POD XT. They are sending a new one to me.