Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual Processors and Helix Paths - Question

gkinder

Sure this has been covered so please excuse the question again....and hope this isn't a bonehead question.

I was building a patch on the A pathway the other evening with a Dr Z Rte 66 amp, a room reverb, with dual cabs (silver and blue bell) then throwing five distortion pedals in front of the amp to do some tone sampling of the drives...when I went to add the fifth drive option in the block selector, things were all graying out which I believe is Helix's way of saying you are going to run out of processing power.  Haven't used the second path option so figured out how to push path A into path B and the models started lighting up again....so am guessing that each path uses one of the two processors for its processing?  Is this correct?  I then started playing with the basic three models above playing them on a single path together with one drive, then pushing only the reverb and cab model down to the second path with the pushed A to B routing....the later configuration seemed to really open up the tone of the Helix, i.e. it just sounded better when running the four models into the two pathways routed together....thought I was hearing things so asked my wife to listen and she agreed that it sounded fuller and more detailed with the paths together....is this an accurate observation in the increased horse power producing more articulate tone?   Thanks in advance!!

No, it should sound the same I believe. It is possible you are doing the same or similar as I did  http://line6.com/support/topic/19035-cool-mistaketip/

The input to B. should be set as none, in theory, if set to All extra DI guitar will be added to the chain post amp.

I do still like to split the blocks between the DSPs. Can leave more spaces for future additions and I feel the preset has a slightly faster loading time if they are sharing the work. Apparently some of DSP A also handles further operating system functions so I weight block balance to DSP B. Not confirmed.

• Upvote 1

No, it should sound the same I believe. It is possible you are doing the same or similar as I did  http://line6.com/support/topic/19035-cool-mistaketip/

The input to B. should be set as none, in theory, if set to All extra DI guitar will be added to the chain post amp.

I do still like to split the blocks between the DSPs. Can leave more spaces for future additions and I feel the preset has a slightly faster loading time if they are sharing the work. Apparently some of DSP A also handles further operating system functions so I weight block balance to DSP B. Not confirmed.

Thanks mucho!!  I just read your other thread.  I'll have to check what the settings are, saved them, but may need to pick everyone's brains again as I'm just starting to explore using the multiple paths....if it's the same as what you found in your thread, I kind of like the results....thanks again!!!!

Thanks mucho!!  I just read your other thread.  I'll have to check what the settings are, saved them, but may need to pick everyone's brains again as I'm just starting to explore using the multiple paths....if it's the same as what you found in your thread, I kind of like the results....thanks again!!!!

Cool...if it's the reason. I assume horse power won't determine sound quality, there's either enough power to crunch the math a block needs or not. You have got me wondering though in terms of processor headroom, latency and whether that could affect quality.

Cool...if it's the reason. I assume horse power won't determine sound quality, there's either enough power to crunch the math a block needs or not. You have got me wondering though in terms of processor headroom, latency and whether that could affect quality.

Those were what I was wondering about too....know it's a lot about how much you can throw at processors to crunch, but would think you would also have to consider the I/O in and out of the CPU's and other system components as well....it should be like any other network, I/O speed is often more important than processing speed when it comes to smooth/optimum performance....