Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can Helix work with just a Boogie 2:90 per amp and 2 2x12 cabs?

dougott

Hey folks! I'm a long time Line 6 user and I've been looking at buying the Helix but I want to know if I can use it with my Boogie stereo 2:90 power amp and 2 2X12 cabs? I have a Triaxis but I'm wanting to sell it and use the Helix as the preamp. I've seen multiple reviews and tutorials on the Helix on YouTube but not one was using just a power amp and 2 cabs.

So,

A. Can it be used as a preamp and integrate into the scenario I've laid out?

B. How would it need to be set up to work best if it's possible?

All comments, thoughts and help is most appreciated!

Hoping to buy the Helix next week.

Thanks!

Hell yes it will work great like that and sound like a million bucks.

​If it were me, I'd simply come out of the 1/4 jacks to the Boogie power amp. Nice and easy. And it will sound a thousand times better than people running a solid state FRFR set up.

​I use mine with my DT 50 tube head basically working as a power amp into a 4x12 cab.  And it really brings the Helix to life. :)

I have hooked my Helix up to my Mesa 2:90 and my Recto 2x12 and it sounds awesome! I think it sounds best with Helix preamp only, no cab or amp modelling. You can even use the Helix Ext Amp jack to control two of the three amp voicings, Deep, 1/2 drive, and Modern.

I have a Triaxis 2.0 fat mod with the recto board and a really want to take some time to integrate it 4CM (maybe more for stereo) as Helix doesn't have Mark models yet.

I was reading through the Mesa Triaxis MIDI implementation and Helix docs. In addition to Triaxis MIDI program change / preset switching with Helix, I think you can map and CC control just about any of the Trixis parameters with Helix, maybe the 4 Triaxis switches too. There are MIDI based computer editors for the Triaxis, so I think it's possible. It would be cool to map the Tri gain and inversely CC the master with a single expression pedal. It would also be cool to have a Triaxis editing patch on the Helix with Triaxis MIDI CC commands mapped to the Helix knobs. That would be a solid weekend in the mad scientist lab though ;)

• Upvote 1

Ha, I did diverge from your original question with Triaxis ramblings. Like robbieb61 said, 1/4" cables straight from the Helix L & R outs to the 2:90 A & B channels (set to line). I'd do a stereo cable from the Helix Ext Amp to a 1/4" Y adapter to plug into Deep and Modern switch jacks on the 2:90. You'll find that the presence knobs on the 2:90 are your friends.

Initially I thought the preamps only sounded better. After some experimenting I realised I was losing a lot of character compared to the full amp without cab. The Mandarin lost a lot of gain and the Divided Duo was incredibly quiet. Other wide fluctuations between preamps. I don't think you adversely affect tone having the power amp SIM into your boogie, just have more shaping options. Maybe worthwhile to keep trying both.

Always a personal taste of course. I definitely agree that there is a greater volume and gain difference between preamps that you have to adjust/compensate for, and you likely do lose the signature power amp characteristics of the models by going preamp only.

Maybe darker power amps are a Mesa thing, because my Mark V also sounds dark and muddy unless I go preamp only on the Helix.

I'm not saying you can't get cool sounds from the Helix full amp models, and even cab models through a tube power amp. But when setting up patches on Helix to have same same feel, cut, and texture as the Mark V native preamp on other patches, Helix preamp only settings sounded more in the same universe as the Mark V physical preamps.

I went back and plugged Helix back into my 2:90 and thought it was night and day. I was originally bummed out when I tried Helix into 2:90 the first time, even turning off cabs. I think the 2:90 and Mark V power amps sound somewhat similar, with different voicing options.

Again, just personal preference both jamming at home and with the band live.

I will say that I cannot easily match Helix through headphones, my JBL Eon 515xt, and the Mesa tube amps and V30 cabs They are all different animals with different tonality and feel. I just find Helix preamp through the Mesa tube power/cabs the most gratifying and inspiring, despite the likely deviation from the sound of the original digitally modeled amplifiers

True and fair enough, what ever you plug into can make a vast difference. I've tried returns on my MK3 boogie combo, Peavey classic 50, and my favourite an Orange OR15 with Marshall cab. All different results. Haven't tried with my H+K or Cornford yet, but i did get the Helix more for using a minimal size gigging rig. Currently using EV ETX 12P for FRFR

As I said I did initially prefer the purity of the preamp only option. Maybe I was a bit quick to switch opinion, you've inspired me to give preamps only another go.

Hey folks! I'm a long time Line 6 user and I've been looking at buying the Helix but I want to know if I can use it with my Boobie stereo 2:90 power amp and 2 2X12 cabs? I have a Triaxis but I'm wanting to sell it and use the Helix as the preamp. I've seen multiple reviews and tutorials on the Helix on YouTube but not one was using just a power amp and 2 cabs.

So,

Thanks!

Not one person bit on the typo? . Leave it to the 54 year old to be childish!!!!! Ha ha ha.

Op the helix will sound great with that set up.

I've tried mosfet powered speakers and monitors kinda blah but my engl 2x50 sounds amazing.

When played into a tube power amp the Helix really responds and sounds like a real tube amp, rotflmfao. No seriously it will sound good.

I'm guessing that using pre-amp modelling only will give good results, with high-gain tones, with the power amp being driven pretty hard (must be loud bands you guys are in :ph34r: ).

Generally speaking, I play relatively quietly (No Helix yet, but HD500 into Sherlock 5050 power amp (stereo 50 watts per channel very similar to Fryette), into my latest aquisition, which is 2 x DT25 12" cabs with power amp volumes at around 3-4 (each channel), and this needs full modelling on to sound decent, particularly with cleaner tones - e.g Fenders, Divided by 13 etc. When you think of it, if the power valves aren't cooking, you're not really getting much in the way of "colour" from them.

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), is these power amps when they started coming out in the 90's were for big headroom, i.e. not for adding too much in the way of tone.

I use the 2:90 with the Helix straight in, to two Bogner 1x12 cabs.  Low to medium volume is great, haven't had a chance to try it with band members yet at volume.  I've switched back and forth between amp and preamp models.  Preamp models are way quieter, so you need to make volume adjustments either in the model itself or on the master volume knob, or the power amp.  If you do that, I find that some of the amp character that is modeled is lost a little bit 'cuz I guess as they built the models, it was intended to use the combination of the preamp, power section, and selected cab to reflect the "real" world.  But, the preamp models do stay true to the amps they modeled, with some slight differences and a few less controls.  Original question?  Helix straight into MB 2:90 works just fine!  I've also got a Triaxis, and a JMP-1, and finding that the Cali model sounds like a relative of the Triaxis, and the Marshall 2204 is likewise related to the JMP-1 - whether you use the preamp only, or the amp model.  Try it, crank it. take the cab IR's out for comparison (you may like those, don't rule them out).  People sometimes say the factory presets suck, but I think they were written with a purpose by someone who didn't think they suck because they didn't use our guitar/speaks/room, but theirs - and of course my tone is awesome, and most other people...

Thanks so much guys! I appreciate your thoughts and input! Looking forward to trying it out and seeing what it sounds like. I'm in a progressive rock band and I've been using Boogie for years for recording and live but I've always used Line 6 for my cover gigs. Looking forward to integrating the two and hearing the results!

Hey folks! I'm a long time Line 6 user and I've been looking at buying the Helix but I want to know if I can use it with my Boogie stereo 2:90 power amp and 2 2X12 cabs? I have a Triaxis but I'm wanting to sell it and use the Helix as the preamp. I've seen multiple reviews and tutorials on the Helix on YouTube but not one was using just a power amp and 2 cabs.

So,

Thanks!

Slightly OT, but i'll be finding ways to incorporate my triaxis and 2:90 with the helix as well, and will be interested in what you find,  but sometime try triaxis>soundcard>redwirez cab of choice....Instant gratification :) ....*saliva runs down face*

Slightly OT, but i'll be finding ways to incorporate my triaxis and 2:90 with the helix as well, and will be interested in what you find,  but sometime try triaxis>soundcard>redwirez cab of choice....Instant gratification :) ....*saliva runs down face*

Good suggestion.  I really need to try some IR's.  I've been out of the modelling game for a few years since I gave up on my Pod HD500/DT/JTV setup to get back to to my Mesa tube amps.  Helix is my "soundcard", but have been using Amplitube 4's Cab Room.  I'm not sure how that compares to these standalone IR's from Redwires and Ownhammer, but I don't think there is a way to configure and export IR's from Amplitube.  Thanks for the inspiration, I do want to try the Triaxis to Cab Room through the Helix.  I also have a Marshall JMP-1 and an old Jackson JX-3 tube preamp.  I think Amplitube alows you to run power amp only models too.  Not sure if Helix does.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/22/2016 at 11:43 PM, roscoe5 said:

Ha, I did diverge from your original question with Triaxis ramblings. Like robbieb61 said, 1/4" cables straight from the Helix L & R outs to the 2:90 A & B channels (set to line). I'd do a stereo cable from the Helix Ext Amp to a 1/4" Y adapter to plug into Deep and Modern switch jacks on the 2:90. You'll find that the presence knobs on the 2:90 are your friends.

You´re not rambling :) I own a 50/50+Triaxis, sold my pedals and bought an HelixLT, but now I'm having some issues to make the best of the two worlds sounding good to my ears :D. Now I don't know what to use...if 4CM, only power amp (the presence on the 50/50 only work's past 8') or the simple one, just a small amp  like a Baby Bomb :D

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2021 at 10:54 AM, cigano said:

You´re not rambling :) I own a 50/50+Triaxis, sold my pedals and bought an HelixLT, but now I'm having some issues to make the best of the two worlds sounding good to my ears :D. Now I don't know what to use...if 4CM, only power amp (the presence on the 50/50 only work's past 8') or the simple one, just a small amp  like a Baby Bomb :D

If you are looking for a great amp to go with Helix and want to keep a traditional guitar cab, I highly recommend a Fryette Powerstation or one of the Matrix class A/B (not digital) amps, like the VB800 (my current rig) or GT800FX.  If you need stereo, consider the Fryette LXii, Synergy SYN5050, or GT800FX.  The Mesa 50/50 and 2:90 stereo amps are great too, they just are not flat and color the sound a bit (not always a bad thing) and a bit heavy. 

All of the small digital amp solutions were harsh sounding to me. Heck, my old Marshall Valvestate 8080 or Peavey CS200 (about $150 on eBay) 1u SS rack amps sound better than the digital power amps to me.

The Fryette Powerstation + Helix and your favorite guitar cabs will keep you closest to Triaxis + 2:90 sound and feel though.  IMO I think I can get better sounds now with Helix + Fryette PS than Triaxis + 2:90 now that I know how to work Helix.  Plus there is a lot of value in keeping it simple.  Can't beat a single 1/4" cable from Helix to Fryette PS.

I really love my Triaxis + 2:90, and spent tons of $ on it.  I could not let it go and was bound and determined to integrate it with Helix...with a 10 cable method if I had too (exaggerating).

Anyway, good luck