Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

expression pedal calibration keeps changing

floyd99

hi all

i've put an ernie ball volume pedal as an expression pedal, to do volume control.  Into EXP2,  using just the pedal's output jack as i'm supposed to.

it works perfectly fine.. however, the calibration keeps changing.

it'll work for a short while, 0 to 100 all good as expected... but if i do a few sweeps in quick succession over and over a couple of times, the pedal works fine, but the maximum value (toe down) will start to alter.  In other words, it'll change from being 100% at toe down to 95% and then maybe as low as 85% at full toe down.  Then the only way to rectify it is to unplug from EXP2 and plug it back in.  And without changing anything else, the values will go back to 100% at toe down.  Therefore i know it's not the pedal's pot.

It's as if the auto calibration is getting mucked up ?

i've had to resort to plugging it in as a real volume pedal in an FX loop instead of a non-audio expression for the time being.

And before anyone asks, yes I know the internal pedal does volume.. but as I sit down in an orchestra pit a lot, I don't like the raised height off the floor of the internal pedal. It's not comfortable for having my foot on full time when seated, the angle is just a bit off.

cheers

dave

Dave,

I don't have the answer, but I am having a similar issue with my EB Volume pedal, except reverse of yours.

Had it plugged into Exp 2 as a volume pedal and the "off" (heel-down) value fluctuates from 0% - 8%. Which means I get some signal bleed when I really want it off.

I looked at the pedal closely and can see it has a bit of play which I think it causing the problem for me.

I've swapped it out for now and am using a Mission pedal instead, but I like the feel and the throw on the EB better.

hi all

i've put an ernie ball volume pedal as an expression pedal, to do volume control.  Into EXP2,  using just the pedal's output jack as i'm supposed to.

it works perfectly fine.. however, the calibration keeps changing.

it'll work for a short while, 0 to 100 all good as expected... but if i do a few sweeps in quick succession over and over a couple of times, the pedal works fine, but the maximum value (toe down) will start to alter.  In other words, it'll change from being 100% at toe down to 95% and then maybe as low as 85% at full toe down.  Then the only way to rectify it is to unplug from EXP2 and plug it back in.  And without changing anything else, the values will go back to 100% at toe down.  Therefore i know it's not the pedal's pot.

It's as if the auto calibration is getting mucked up ?

i've had to resort to plugging it in as a real volume pedal in an FX loop instead of a non-audio expression for the time being.

And before anyone asks, yes I know the internal pedal does volume.. but as I sit down in an orchestra pit a lot, I don't like the raised height off the floor of the internal pedal. It's not comfortable for having my foot on full time when seated, the angle is just a bit off.

cheers

dave

I would suggest opening up a ticket with customer support to further explore this issue. 

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

I would suggest opening up a ticket with customer support to further explore this issue. 

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

Later firmware updates are way better in this regard in my experience. Make sure you are updated to the latest, but if you are, I'd open a ticket, because of all the pedals I've used with my Helix Rack, the VP Jr. has been the most consistent. 

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I've also seen this issue with the Helix's own expression pedal - glad it's not just me!

Only seems to be an issue since the latest FW update.

Kind of annoying, as I have it set that 99% is the wah engage point, so when it randomly dips under this, the wah comes on randomly.... seen it vary from 96% down to 82%, and then fluctuate.

Yeah, I've also seen this issue with the Helix's own expression pedal - glad it's not just me!

Only seems to be an issue since the latest FW update.

Kind of annoying, as I have it set that 99% is the wah engage point, so when it randomly dips under this, the wah comes on randomly.... seen it vary from 96% down to 82%, and then fluctuate.

Same issue here. Built in expression pedal calibration wanders from 100% down to 97% at end of sweep. I can reset it by cycling power but it always goes out again eventually.