Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any sightings of the official bag yet?

mykejb

I've got about three weeks till my Helix appears so I'm busy looking for all the other bits I need.

Obviously a case is one thing - has the official backpack case been released into the wild yet?   I see it on a lot of sites with "available to order", but no-one seems to actually have one

Mike

Yep, they're out there. I think the first batch was bought up rather quickly, though. I have one, and I really like it. When I first got the Helix, I was thinking I was going to put on pedalboard - a Pedaltrain 2, to be exact - with a hard case. After using the backpack, though, I'm not really tempted to go that route. It's nice being able to carry it on my back. One thing I will say, and it's not necessarily a negative thing, but just a fact. With both the Helix and  two Mission Engineering pedals in the bag, it isn't necessarily light. It's still a substantial piece of luggage to carry around.

Sweetwater has them now.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HelixBP

That's where I got mine about 3-4 weeks ago.  I love it, but have 2 very minor gripes:  a) you have to slide the Helix in from one of the ends and it can be a tight fit getting the cover zipped up over the end of it.  I think this will relax over time and use though, we'll see; b) the main front pouch where I put cables, capos, etc has a zipper around 3 of the 4 sides of the covering flap, so when you unzip it enough to get things out of it and forget to zip it back up, then you grab the handle on the end of the backpack to move it somewhere, everything in the pouch falls out.  I was used to my old HD500 Gator bag that had the pouch zipper only on the top edge of the flap so it never did this.  I've had to remember to zip it back up before picking up the backpack.  See what I mean?  Very minor!!!

What I like about it - super sturdy and rugged, well padded, looks cool, shoulder straps for backpacking (comes in handy!), 2 handles for carrying either in vertical or horizontal orientation, plenty of room for extra stuff.

Just a thought but if, like me, you are vertically challenged, the actual Helix bag may be awkward to carry unless you use the backpack straps. For folks like us, a horizontal bag works better.

It has two handles and can be carried either horizontal or vertical.

I'm really impressed by the quality and the little touches like including a bunch of Velcro "cable ties" that not only allow you to wrap your cords neatly, but also to stick them to the material inside the pocket to hold them in place.

I've had mine for awhile. I agree that it's made with quality, but I still think it's overpriced. The zipper inside the main section always catches and prevents the zipper from sliding smoothly. One of the top corners on the Helix always seems to be sitting outside of the surrounding padding. And lastly the straps feel like a drop in quality. It looks really nice and it's great to have protection...I just think it's a sub $100 purchase.

I ordered my backpack I think the first day SW had it for preorder, I think at the end of November. I got it just after the first of the year. Love the thing. Yeah, noticed the side internal zipper can catch the external zipper, but has been getting less so as time goes on. Partially because I have gotten into the habit of pulling the external zipper a bit away from the body of the bag when I get in that area, but also I think because the bag is relaxing a touch as time goes by, and the fit of the Helix inside does not feel as tight as it was initially. Fitting more like a glove as time goes by. I always set it vertically when putting the Helix in -- goes in nicely, then I lay it down to put my cables etc. in the compartment that I fully unzip.

I do like the Velcro straps they included for the cables, and also use 2 to secure my needle nose pliers and wire cutters for string changes together and Velcro in place at the bottom of that compartment. Very handy. I put extra stuff that I don't use as much, like odd key harmonicas, spare cords, etc., in the zippered pouch on top of that big compartment. The little zippered pouch at the top of the bag is where I put my normal harmonica, music light, and mic stand pick holder. Still haven't quite figured out the "ammo belt" loops, yet. What's anybody using those for? Just curious on the concept of those. Kind of look like pen holders?

Dave

Yep - great bag!  I'd add that I like the way it's like a Mono bag, where you stand it up and drop in, instead of having to flay open a bag or a case and lay the board in.    With some pedalboard bags, it  effectively takes 2 hands to get the job half done, and it takes up so much stage space -  3 times the area of your pedal board with the bag spread open before you pick your board up to put it in the bag.  With the Helix and its bag, it's a quick 2 handed operation to bag or unbag, one hand on the helix, one on the bag. And it only takes up a minimal amount of space to do the job.  Happy!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I do mostly fly dates and have to adhere to the airline specs if I wanted to take the Helix on board as a carry on. Of course the other option is a flight case but I'm trying to minimize things.

The airlines say:

"The most important factor when choosing a carry on backpack is its size. Each airline sets its own guidelines on the maximum allowable size for carry on luggage. Most airlines allow bags up to 45 linear inches (length + width + depth) or 22" long, 14" wide, and 9" deep."

It appears that the Helix is 3.5" too long. 

Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks,

Bill Warner

You've Got a Friend

the music of Carole King & James Taylor

P.O. Box 167

Nashville, TN 37138

bill@warnerworks.net

http://youvegotafriendmusic.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case anyone's interested, I went for a flight case for mine - it's the Helix specific one from Thomann:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_effect_case_for_line_6_helix.htm?ref=search_rslt_thon+helix_375295_0

Seems great so far - time will tell if it's really well made or not.  Also, the adhesives they've used in construction smell quite a bit...