Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x into l3m.. question on stage volume

swolfp

Hi,

I'm using an HD500x into an L3m (via the L6 connector) for my stage monitor, and send a feed to FOH from the 'mix out' xlr on the back of the L3m.

I setup with levels around 50% on main volume from HD500, and soundcheck etc,  but once we're live I don't really want to touch my output volume for fear of getting a smack from our soundie!

If I need more (or very occasionally less) stage volume I use the volume knob on the back of the speaker, which is near impossible to get to while playing, and even between songs is a right bugger to get access, plus then I've lost my reference volume anyway and it's a bit of guesswork on the knob.

So I'm thinking maybe it's better to give the FOH a send direct from the HD500 and not the speaker (although the signal is much hotter from the L3m), and then put a volume foot pedal between the HD500 and the L3m... but not sure if I can do this because it carries digital info as well.

Has anyone else come across this? What do you guys do?

Thanks

Simon

I go direct XLR out to the soundboard and 1/4" out to the monitor.  I normalize the volume on all of my patches to be a consistent volume output so that I only set my master volume once at sound checks.  As long as everyone in the band sets (and maintains) their volumes at sound check and stays there (which they should), I never have to touch my master volume after sound checks.  If I start getting buried by someone else getting into a volume war, we have a much bigger problem that can only be fixed by some professionalism and stage discipline.

I go direct XLR out to the soundboard and 1/4" out to the monitor.  I normalize the volume on all of my patches to be a consistent volume output so that I only set my master volume once at sound checks.  As long as everyone in the band sets (and maintains) their volumes at sound check and stays there (which they should), I never have to touch my master volume after sound checks.  If I start getting buried by someone else getting into a volume war, we have a much bigger problem that can only be fixed by some professionalism and stage discipline.

Thanks - but it's not so much a volume war, the band is generally pretty good at not doing that. Sometimes it's the venue acoustics that change drastically as it fills up, and the soundie can compensate FOH, and sometimes it's a mixture of just getting it wrong / ear fatigue etc, but if our original stage volumes aren't cutting it then a nudge may be required to fuel my mojo! That doesn't affect the others too much with my L3m as a floor wedge, but it's not easy as explained in my post. Hoping that someone can share ideas how to make it easier!

I go direct XLR out to the soundboard and 1/4" out to the monitor, too. Of cause, I had normalized the volume on all of my patches to be a consistent volume output and crank my master to max if playing at rehearsal or stage.

Also I put my Yamaha DBR12 monitor to a high output-level, which offers some headroom for minor adjustments while playing a gig.

To do this, I have a passive volume-pedal between my 1/4" and my monitor, which I calibrate within the soundcheck to a volume that fits into the overall sound. Works pretty nice and you can adjust just your own volume very quickly and at your own will.

I go direct XLR out to the soundboard and 1/4" out to the monitor, too. Of cause, I had normalized the volume on all of my patches to be a consistent volume output and crank my master to max if playing at rehearsal or stage.

Also I put my Yamaha DBR12 monitor to a high output-level, which offers some headroom for minor adjustments while playing a gig.

To do this, I have a passive volume-pedal between my 1/4" and my monitor, which I calibrate within the soundcheck to a volume that fits into the overall sound. Works pretty nice and you can adjust just your own volume very quickly and at your own will.

Thanks.. I think that will have to be the answer... i.e. pod xlr to FOH and pod 1/4" to the L3m with a volume pedal between ... shame because the output over the L6 link is considerably higher gain. The loss of digital signal over L6 to change speaker modes won't matter as they are all set to reference / PA mode anyway, still would love to have had a volume control on the front of the speaker where I could get to it!

You say that you only very occasionally need to turn down, in that case I would just allow for a little more volume than you need at soundcheck

As you say, when the room fills up, all of a sudden your guitar isn't quite loud enough on stage , I experience that a lot too , I simply get the volume to where I want it at soundcheck and just add a bit more for good measure.

Thanks.. I think that will have to be the answer... i.e. pod xlr to FOH and pod 1/4" to the L3m with a volume pedal between ... shame because the output over the L6 link is considerably higher gain. The loss of digital signal over L6 to change speaker modes won't matter as they are all set to reference / PA mode anyway, still would love to have had a volume control on the front of the speaker where I could get to it!

And please search for a passive pedal like this one to avoid further cables (sells for something around 15 USD here in Germany :o )

https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Bespeco-VM12-mono-Volume-Pedal-mit-I-O-Buchsen/art-KEY0003231-000