Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Media Player Needs Some More Usable Features!?!?!?!?!

With as awesome as the m20d is it lacks surprisingly in the media player department, not in sound quality by any means but in functionality, there should be a bar with an indicator that can be used to advance through or quickly rewind to any part of the song and a "whats playing now" box or area to display whats playing now and  whats up next. I've noticed that when trying to scroll though the playlist sometimes the song would start playing when my finger touched it. So maybe a scroll bar would be helpful as well. Also an automatic playlist option so the m20d could scan the media used (USB/SD) to find the songs on it much quicker than me adding from 1 folder at a time. I think a firmware update could fix this quite easily.

any thoughts or suggestions? and what do you think with your experience?  

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I think theres alot of other stuff that needs improvement before they spend time on the mediaplayer. I mean, its a mixer, not an Ipod. :)

Dont get me wrong, the medieplayer could really need an overhaul, but that part of my mixer has really low priority for me, and im kinda hoping that the line6 guys feels the same.

If i really need the cool features of a medieplayer, i plug in my ipod, use airplay or something of that kind. :)

I was holding back from making a comment because I feel like jeanpicasso. The media feature is great to have, but really, it is a "nicety". However, if it is there, it could be easily made a little more user friendly and act a bit more like the media players we have come to know. (I say easily, but I am not a programmer!).

I imagine it is low. I also use and external media player (my Mac mini which is doing lights anyway). I do use the media player for the one backing track we use. It is awesome I can kick it in and stop it with a foot pedal. The band loves it because now we can throw that song in anywhere. Before, I had to turn to the computer and click "play". Bt, if we had more than one, I would have to be careful.

I don't think this thread was intended as asking line 6 to put all the stuff everyone else wants on hold while they fix the media player. But it is a feature on this mixer, and some people may have been hoping it could be used for backing tracks live and need a little more flexibility to make that work for them. For me personally, its getting the job done but it is pretty basic. In some of the clubs i play, they love that i can provide thumping dance music in between sets, most clubs don't have anything that sounds even close to my dreamscape system. So there's a few good reasons to improve it even if every user isn't using it.

Sure there are other things that we'd all like to see, but I think it's fine to express anything you'd like improved. Line 6 will address what they can in the order they see fit.

• Upvote 1

when I posted this "there should be a bar with an indicator that can be used to advance through or quickly rewind to any part of the song" I had not used the recorder and didn't know that there "IS" that feature on the GUI for the recorder and works great when playing back your performance.... so if it is there it should definitely be on the media player as well and not much trouble to add.

In some of the clubs i play, they love that i can provide thumping dance music in between sets, most clubs don't have anything that sounds even close to my dreamscape system.

I like to get the speakers set up and have some tunes play wile I get everything else plugged in and tuned up and wile tearing down.

On another note:

I need to try that foot switch thing too, it would be nice to come up with a "intro" kinda mahogany rush live style...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqEyMql2yRA   here is the Intro.

Hi all, I was very excited about using the media player with a foot switch to play our backing tracks but unfortunately this is just not possible in a live situation. We need a single track play setting. Whilst you can advance the playlist to the next song with the footswitch and stop start a track, without single track playback this is not practical. Hopefully a firmware update will fix this!!

I don't think this thread was intended as asking line 6 to put all the stuff everyone else wants on hold while they fix the media player. But it is a feature on this mixer, and some people may have been hoping it could be used for backing tracks live and need a little more flexibility to make that work for them. For me personally, its getting the job done but it is pretty basic. In some of the clubs i play, they love that i can provide thumping dance music in between sets, most clubs don't have anything that sounds even close to my dreamscape system. So there's a few good reasons to improve it even if every user isn't using it.

Sure there are other things that we'd all like to see, but I think it's fine to express anything you'd like improved. Line 6 will address what they can in the order they see fit.

when this many exclamation marks are used : "More Usable Features!?!?!?!?!" ,  it sends a message that this i really really important and urgent. That is really why I choose to answer the post, since i dont see the urgency. :)

of course everyone should voice their oppinions and wishes for future updates. I wouldnt have it any other way, as I too should be able to express that i dont agree...right? ;)  :P

when this many exclamation marks are used : "More Usable Features!?!?!?!?!" , it sends a message that this i really really important and urgent. That is really why I choose to answer the post, since i dont see the urgency. :)

of course everyone should voice their oppinions and wishes for future updates. I wouldnt have it any other way, as I too should be able to express that i dont agree...right? ;) :P

Go right ahead brother, Feel free to talk about your dog if that's what you want to do?!?!?!?!? LOL , I guess I was a little frustrated with the M20D being so awesome of a unit but then seemingly this media player has been like an afterthought or something.

Go right ahead brother, Feel free to talk about your dog if that's what you want to do?!?!?!?!? LOL , I guess I was a little frustrated with the M20D being so awesome of a unit but then seemingly this media player has been like an afterthought or something.

yea, i guess frustration tends to do that to ones posts  ;). you might be right about the mediaplayer being an afterthought tho. :)  

I had this awesome dog. It was sooo well behaved and.... ..  hehe.. :P

I agree with everything you all have said above. Line 6 in my opinion has put out a great easy to use mixer for any beginner/amateur/semi pro band to get the best sound out of without having to spend thousands on all the other gear. (talking about all the cool DSP, Wifi and recording functions here)

I agree that if you put in a media player then at least make it function to what I would class as the minimum to make it worthwhile. With simple issues such as Fast Forward & Rewind and the ease of selecting a track becoming issues (as stated above) then Line 6 really do need to be careful about putting out sofware extra's that just aren't ready. If you are going to do a job get it right first time. Im sure they have an excellant programmer on there staff who can sort the issues out.

But like JeanPicasso stated, try not to winge too much about this added extra, I spent the £1600 on a mixer not a media player. The mixer software and issues should be top priority. My iPhone/iPad/Laptop all do a great job of doing my media mixing for me, and the M20D will never be able to function better as a media player than my laptops software and 17" screen.

• 2 months later...

I know it does, but that is an extra device you have to carry and install, and it's a rather not tough enough for heavy use outside. We play backing tracks from the mixer and one feature I would like to see implemented and requested that from the start is to have it start playback instantly when pressed play(or pushed pedal). That would make breaks, stops, syncrostart and many more things doable, but at this moment there is a delay of about 3 seconds between pressing play and actual start of the track. Thus unusable in anything else than simply build the backing tracks as a full song, then start the song. I could do many more things with my band if there was such a instant playback start implemented.