Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD input settings when you have a JTV

Most recommend Input 1=guitar and input 2=variax  when you DON'T use a variax.   Lately that is being debated again, with both inputs set to guitar or guitar and same resurfacing.

Be that as it may, if you have a variax you use  input1=variax, input2= ?

As far as I can tell there are 3 criteria to consider when you select (or deselect) 'Same' on input 2:

• If you need the same input signal on both A and B and path A and B are totally separated till mixer "Same" (or explicitly setting a type that includes the used input for input1) is your only choice to get the same input signal on both paths.
  • If you use a combined path before path A/B split and use a mono effect before the split or an amp at the splitting point your signal level will get a 6dB boost at the first mono effect or amp in split position (hope to rember all those details right - I stay away from those setups). There are 2 things to consider for this case:
    • There have been reports that combining input1 and input2 in this fashion may cause phasing and thus will have have a sound impact (I have not personally experienced that effect, but I believe meambobo and others reported it)
    • If you boost your guitar input signal by 6dB you may push your signal level into a range where various effect and amp models start to compress and/or soft clip 'independent' of the modelled device and its model parameter settings (I am confident they do - but why they do is obviously my personal opinion). As a consequence you may not want to use the 6dB boost (via Same) if you have hot PUs or a high output JTV model selected. For example, my JTV-69 with a Lester-1 guitar model while playing rythm will generate signal levels that cause compression unless I dial volume on the guitar back, i.e., I certainly do not want to boost that signal another 6dB unless I am looking for compression and have no other option to get it.

In practice I find it far more useful to put a Studio EQ or a Mid Focus EQ with neutral setting in the signal path to boost the signal much more precisely to a healthy level whenever the guitar input is weak or if the selected Drive of an Amp combined with 100% Channel Volume still does not get me a healthy signal level.

My take on healthy is Peak not to exceed -12dBFS for clean and -9dBFS for dirty and RMS around -30dBFS (use USB and a DAW or other metering SW to check). These are not hard recommendations; once you are in the ballpark use your ears to balance and trade off between peak and RMS targets while getting volume leveled tones.

Input 1= Gutiar & Variax

Input 2= Aux (nothing plugged in).

Couple of things. 

1. I don't use multiple paths in my setups. Just one preamps, couple of pedals over L6 Link to my DT25.

2. My normal guitars are only actually plugged into the POD when used. Unplugged after the song. On those tunes, I just turn the Variax volume all the way down.