Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mulit-function to a single footswitch?

gbakerjr

My apologies if this is covered in another thread.  I did a quick search and didn't find anything.  Additionally, I have the XT Live, HD500, and HD500x, and it appears the Helix programming is a bit different (specifically the blocks) than what I'm used to on those units.

Is is possible to assign multiple functions to the same footswitch simultaneously?  So, if I have the unit in stomp mode, can I have FS2 set up to toggle both a boost and a delay at the same time (say for a lead patch)?  In reading the manual, it seems like that's possible, but reading the manual by itself, and having the unit in front of you are two different things.  If so, is there a limit (within reason obviously) to how many functions can be assigned to the same footswitch simultaneously?

Thanks folks!

Gary

You can do this. If I remember right, the limit is 8 functions per switch (block on/off toggle and/or parameter min/max toggle), and 64 per patch. Never ran into the limit which is why it's difficult to remember off the top of my head.

Great!  Thanks for the quick reply.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, I could basically swap out one block of Fx for another with a single press of a footswitch?  For instance, if I have my pre-amp and cabinet structure, but want to use a chorus and short delay for rhythm patch, but then wanted a flange or different chorus and longer delay for my lead patch, I can set up two different Fx blocks, and assign the entire swap to one footswitch?  Sorry if that's a dumb question.  No one local to me stocks a Helix, so I don't have the luxury of playing around with one before I buy it.

Gary

Great!  Thanks for the quick reply.

So, if I'm understanding correctly, I could basically swap out one block of Fx for another with a single press of a footswitch?  For instance, if I have my pre-amp and cabinet structure, but want to use a chorus and short delay for rhythm patch, but then wanted a flange or different chorus and longer delay for my lead patch, I can set up two different Fx blocks, and assign the entire swap to one footswitch?  Sorry if that's a dumb question.  No one local to me stocks a Helix, so I don't have the luxury of playing around with one before I buy it.

Gary

Yes. This sort of thing is really easy. And once you actually have the unit and do this, it's only a matter of seconds to program it.

To assign block on/off to a footswitch in three seconds:

• Use the joystick to select the desired block.
  • Touch (but don't press) the desired footswitch for two seconds and press Knob 6 (OK).
To assign a model parameter to a footswitch in three seconds:
  • Press and hold the parameter's knob. Helix jumps to the Controller Assign page for that parameter.
  • Press Knob 6 (Learn Controller) and then press the desired footswitch.
  • OPTIONAL: Move Knob 4 (Min Value) and Knob 5 (Max Value) to restrict the parameter range and press HOME to exit.
To assign a Command Center command (MIDI, Amp Control, CV, CV Toggle) to a footswitch:
  • Press MENU (three lines icon) and then Knob 3 (Command Center).
  • Use the joystick to select the desired footswitch.
  • Turn Knob 1 (Command) to select the type of command Knobs 2-5 to set the command's values.
Up to 8 of the above items (any combination) can be assigned to a single footswitch. If you want two blocks to toggle back and forth, select one and press BYPASS.

Repeatedly touching a footswitch will cycle through all assignments. This is the reason we limited footswitch assignments to 8 items—cycling through any more than 8 would be annoying. In this case, we artificially restricted functionality for UX's sake.

The 64 controller assignments per preset is a technical limitation, however.

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2016 at 10:59 AM, Digital_Igloo said:

To assign block on/off to a footswitch in three seconds:

• Use the joystick to select the desired block.
  • Touch (but don't press) the desired footswitch for two seconds and press Knob 6 (OK).

To assign a model parameter to a footswitch in three seconds:

• Press and hold the parameter's knob. Helix jumps to the Controller Assign page for that parameter.
  • Press Knob 6 (Learn Controller) and then press the desired footswitch.
  • OPTIONAL: Move Knob 4 (Min Value) and Knob 5 (Max Value) to restrict the parameter range and press HOME to exit.

To assign a Command Center command (MIDI, Amp Control, CV, CV Toggle) to a footswitch:

• Press MENU (three lines icon) and then Knob 3 (Command Center).
  • Use the joystick to select the desired footswitch.
  • Turn Knob 1 (Command) to select the type of command Knobs 2-5 to set the command's values.

Up to 8 of the above items (any combination) can be assigned to a single footswitch. If you want two blocks to toggle back and forth, select one and press BYPASS.

Repeatedly touching a footswitch will cycle through all assignments. This is the reason we limited footswitch assignments to 8 items—cycling through any more than 8 would be annoying. In this case, we artificially restricted functionality for UX's sake.

The 64 controller assignments per preset is a technical limitation, however.

Howdy!  I'm just making sure I didn't miss anything, but is there a way to assign more than one MIDI command to a footswitch in stomp mode?  So far I haven't figured it out...  I know that instant commands are possible per preset or snapshot (which I haven't played around much with yet), but I was just checking in to see about multiple MIDI commands getting assigned to a single stomp mode footswitch.  Thanks in advance for any direction :-)

• 3 years later...
10 hours ago, kaleidoskope said:

Ok, I have e new version of the above question:

- How do I make one switch (switch 11, for example) make the split before a dual amp setup, cycle 3 options: Amp A, Amp B and both amps

I guess what you need is “stackable snapshots”. See the video below, in which Steve Sterlacci is using a HX Stomp, but the technique is the same for all units.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, datacommando said:

I guess what you need is “stackable snapshots”. See the video below, in which Steve Sterlacci is using a HX Stomp, but the technique is the same for all units.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Thank you Guru! Yeah, it makes perfect sense and I had already checked that possibility :)
It works fine, but I stumbled into another problem: snapshot "real estate". :P
My normal setup with the Helix is 4/5 snapshots (clean, crunch, heavy, solo snapshots) in the bottom switches and 4/5 pedals on/off on the top row. If I want to make those 3 amp options happen using snapshots, I'd need at least 12 snapshots, right?

- Clean: amp A, amp B, both amps = 3 snapshots

- Crunch: amp A, amp B, both amps = 3 snapshots

- Heavy: amp A, amp B, both amps = 3 snapshots

- Solo: amp A, amp B, both amps = 3 snapshots

Am I missing or misunderstanding something?

Once again, thank you for the help! :)