Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to determine the manufacture date of your JTV?

"first four number tell you the year and month of manufacture. YYMM...So 1202 is Feb 2012"---

Close,... good guess,... actually 1202 would be January 2012.

Yes,... "W" is for World Music in Korea. I own four JTV's with "W" numbers,... love 'em all.....

So the formula is YY/(MM-1)?   No,... not quite.

• Upvote 2

Bigger number == newer.  Year is nice to know.  When I bought mine from Sweetwater, you could tell the newer ones by the Serial Number.  Sweetwater has pictures posted of the actual guitars.  That is better than sight unseen.  I could see subtle differences in them from the pix.  Some were two years older and some had string alignment problems.

• Upvote 1

Ha, We I guess that's going to have to be good enough! We all have to take what I can get right, thanks all for the info  ;)

If you have no problem with your guitar, then don't mind it. It doesn't inherently make it a problem guitar, it just was produced during a time when there were errors based around that design.

If you have no problem with your guitar, then don't mind it. It doesn't inherently make it a problem guitar, it just was produced during a time when there were errors based around that design.

No problems with the guitar at all I just wanted to know how to ID the year so if and when I sell it I can let people know what year it was made! I just sold my 59 and bought a 69, both were made the same year, 2011. 

• 1 month later...

I just purchased a "brand new" Variax JTV69s guitar with a serial number starting with "W1306". I am assuming this means it was produced in June, 2013. Why would I receive a new Variax with such an old production date?  Is this typical? Has anyone purchased a Variax lately and gotten a more recent production date? Should I be concerned about the age of the battery and its shelf life?

I just purchased a "brand new" Variax JTV69s guitar with a serial number starting with "W1306". I am assuming this means it was produced in June, 2013. Why would I receive a new Variax with such an old production date?  Is this typical? Has anyone purchased a Variax lately and gotten a more recent production date? Should I be concerned about the age of the battery and its shelf life?

It's not quite that simple.  Yours was produced in 2013 but the rest is some kind of code that remains a mystery.  They're new until they're sold.  Sweetwater has a few of the various JTV's in stock, some made in 2014 and even one that's a 2012 model.

The battery should be fine.  I haven't seen any posts about any that were sub-par.

The "W-Year-Week" (W1506xxxx) thing versus "W-Year-Month" format should be easily testable.... If the supposed 3rd & 4th numbers are found greater than 12, up to 52, then "week" might be the parameter. I took a look at the ones at Sweetwater that had pictures and listed serial numbers, and in that (granted) relatively small sample, none had the second 2 digits greater than 12 or less than 01, so I would believe that 1 of 2 possibilities exist -- 1) It is the "week format", and they don't manufacture any past the 12th week of the year, so that would be, what, March of any year, or 2) The second set of digits is the month.... The assertion that W1202xxx was Jan 2012, is a bit odd, (Month-1), unless we see one with a W1200xxxxx serial - don't think we'll see that....

My JTV-59 has a serial W1012xxxxx, I ordered in Oct 2010, didn't receive until May 2011. It's serial has 5 digits after the "month" or "Week", which is a bit odd, as any later JTV's have 4 digits after the date code. They didn't announce the JTV's even as a concept until I got an email in the late spring or into the summer of 2010, so I'm doubting mine had a serial number from March 2010.

My JTV-69S has a serial W1208xxxx, they just announced the 69S - 3-single coil version in late September 2012, and I ordered and got mine in October, so the assumed August (08) manufacture date seems more likely than week four in February....

Yeah, like jandrio said above, I'd like to see if we get any serial numbers with a number greater than 12 in the 3rd & fourth position of their serial number digits....

Just a thought...

Dave

• Upvote 1