Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV Updates

Those that know can't say - employees can't discuss future plans before they are officially announced and beta testers have a non disclosure agreement to sign.

I too would like some additional options to play with, but there hasn't been anything new software wise for years.

I'd like to see something added that would give the modeled guitars the same clarity and volume of the mag pickups on the JTV89F.

​Yeah, I know they "modeled" the 89F mags already and made that available too. But even those are nowhere near the volume of the actual pickup.

​I can't even really use any of the modeled guitars because they are so low in volume that they don't hit the amp with enough power to get the sound right.
​The mag pickups on the other hand are tremendous. Powerful, full of clarity...

​And yeah, I've tried editing the modeled pickups for more volume. But even when you jack them up to +6db they all sound wimpy compared to the mags on the JTBV89f

-Robbie

• Upvote 1

I've just purchased a JTV69 and am working my way through the forum to see what's what.  I found this page through KVR for some patches, but don't know if they'll work with the JTV models or older... http://www.instituteofnoise.com/L6/filesearch.asp

Hopefully Line6 will continue with updates and offer more features and models for us guys.

Robbie, can't you use a pedal in-front of the amp or look at the POD HD or Helix to add further control and lock the controls (volume, tone) on the Variax?  I think that's what most are doing these days, but again I'm a newbie catching up and checking all the videos on Youtube.  I wish there were more videos to be honest with guys showing their custom models and further what this guitar can do.

Cheers

I've tried everything to get the modeled guitars to sound as good as the magnetic pickups. It's a no-go.

​The JTV 89F is a great guitar though. Plays awesome, and the mags sound really good.

​The only thing I use the modeling for is to play a couple of songs that have acoustic guitar in them. Other than that...none of the models sound as good as the mags. :(

These guitars only have so much memory on them, and I think the current firmware is already pretty brimming to the max capacity of the memory on the guitars.

Sadly because of this, additional models is probably not going to happen.

I've just purchased a JTV69 and am working my way through the forum to see what's what.  I found this page through KVR for some patches, but don't know if they'll work with the JTV models or older.

look at top of the page

Share And Download 2.0+ H D Models

http://line6.com/support/topic/2163-share-and-download-20-h-d-models/

for all Variax users who seek user to user created Variax Workbench / Tyler Variax Workbench HD  patches,  I host them at vguitarforums here

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=138.0

1446136986_866062114_VGF_Variax1.PNG

I've had that VGuitar page with the JTV settings bookmarked.

​But it's not "new" modeled guitars. It's just combinations of existing model pickups and bodies trying to replicate popular pickups correct?

Yes, but I think that's probably the best we can do right now.

I wanted a Fender Jaguar model so I used trial and error to A/B compare with a dry Jaguar recording. I got pretty damn close with strat single coils on a les paul.

• Upvote 1

I've tried everything to get the modeled guitars to sound as good as the magnetic pickups. It's a no-go.

​The JTV 89F is a great guitar though. Plays awesome, and the mags sound really good.

​The only thing I use the modeling for is to play a couple of songs that have acoustic guitar in them. Other than that...none of the models sound as good as the mags. :(

Maybe try lowering your mag pickups, you upped the output of the models ,so lowering your mags might help to meet halfway.

I have my single coil models on +4db and humbucker models on +3db and they output at roughly the same volume as my mags

I think the models are great but yes getting them the same volume is half the battle , otherwise they will always sound wimpy in comparison

Maybe try lowering your mag pickups, you upped the output of the models ,so lowering your mags might help to meet halfway.

I have my single coil models on +4db and humbucker models on +3db and they output at roughly the same volume as my mags

I think the models are great but yes getting them the same volume is half the battle , otherwise they will always sound wimpy in comparison

Thing is... the mags sound GREAT right where they are. And they aren't set very close to the strings. I have 'em in that "sweet spot" where they aren't too close to have the magnets affect the string vibration.

​If I lower them any then I lose the great tone I'm getting with them. 

​What I'd really like is for the modeled pickups to have that same great tone for their respective sounds. I know we all bought these guitars looking for an arsenal of "Holy Grail" guitar tones at our fingertips. That ain't what we got. :(

You can combine any types of pick-ups, and pot and cap variations to give all sorts of possibilities as well as simple volume increases.

Have you tried stacking pick-ups? For example place a 89 Bridge in middle location directly on top of another 89 Bridge in the bridge location with a neutral body?

Of course if the limitation is the maximum volume of the amplifier to the 1/4 jack or the way that it reacts with your amplifier then this won't help.

Well everybody's "holy grail" is going to be different I guess , but I bought the guitar mainly for the tuning variations and I expected I'd use the telecaster model as I'd demoed that on a friends variax and it sounded very close to my own telecaster, but once I had it all set up working the way I wanted I quickly realised that I love a lot of the other models too, and I use about half a dozen of the models at gigs

+1 on this. I found on my JTV59 that the mag pickups were very hot compared to the other guitars I use regularly. It took some experimentation, but by dialing the mags back a bit, and then boosting the volume a bit on the models, I found a happy medium with the volume levels between models and mags, and also the levels with my other guitars.

To get back to the OP, I totally understand why L6 would not give any detailed info about forthcoming updates to their product line. However, given that the last major update for JTV Variax (the 2.0 HD update) was in mid-2013 (nearly 3 years ago!), it would be nice to hear something from L6 about the state of Variax development. Even a "yes we're working on something cool and will release it when it's ready" would give some hope to our faithful user base. I still feel like the JTV line has a lot of untapped potential so it would be a shame if what we've got now is basically the end of the line.

• Upvote 1