Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Disappointed with the JTV 89F

Sadly, I just returned the 89F after only a couple days. I was really excited to have gotten it, but I had some issues that just didn't justify the price tag. The guitar itself was great, it played really well and the stock pickups sounded really good. It was the modeling that disappointed. The G string had little to no volume compared to the rest of the strings, making chords sound off. I tried tweaking the strings with Workbench but no matter what volume I set the rest of the strings, the G string was still lower. The overall modeling sound had a slight metallic tone to them which I couldn't get out, even with EQ through my HD500x. The acoustics did sound really good, however. I don't know if I just got a defective guitar or not, but it had to go back. I'm not up for going back and forth trying to diagnose issues, for $1100, the guitar should be perfect right out of the box. Bummer....

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree with you - I have just spent some time fixing a similar issue with mine - except that in my case the G string was too loud, and the answer turned out to be to use edit->global string volume and make sure the 'lock' icon was not selected, to allow individual strings to be changed.

Sorry for your bad experience bro

I also had to adjust string volumes individually, I think most owners probably have. It took me a few attempts to get it right but it all sounds great now

I haven't experienced the metallic sound you describe but I have the 59 model not the 89

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it does sound like a bad piezo, which sucks.  I have had my 89F since they were introduced and have been very happy with it.  Just finished up the guitar parts on a second album with it, and was only recording the modeling on this last one and using the Les Paul, Telecaster, Spank and acoustic models.  1st album used an HD500 with a JTV 59, 2nd JTV 89F with HD500X and the last album JTV 89F with a Helix.

...1st album used an HD500 with a JTV 59, 2nd JTV 89F with HD500X and the last album JTV 89F with a Helix....

can u post a brief "guitarist-point-of-view-comparison" btwn the three rigs (hd500+jtv, hd500x+jtv, helix+jtv) ?

any sound differences in the recordings?

Jandrio,

once the 3rd album is mastered I will post clips from it.  The first album used at JTV59 exclusively while the 2nd and 3rd use the 89F.  comparing clips from the first 2 albums would more of a comparison of the subtle differences between the 59 and 89F than improvements between the HD500 and HD500X.  The patches were imported to the HD500X from the HD500 and only some addition in effects or dual amp modeling were changed due to the increased DSP which I think would be too subtle to pick up in the recordings between the 2 albums especially with the rest of the band.  My keyboard player does our recording and mastering and he could tell the difference immediately between the Helix and HD series.  From his point of view the Helix required little to no post recording "corrections"

• Upvote 1

Jandrio,

If you want a jump on this go to http://www.elephantsofscotland.com/there are 3 Videos posted there and all of these were recorded with the HD500 or 500x.  Swing the gavel was recorded just before the Helix was released and you are actually hearing VAC700 on it.  The distorted guitar was using one of the new HD amps.  The live clip is a straight to mixing board at ROSFEST 2014.

Jandrio,

If you want a jump on this go to http://www.elephantsofscotland.com/there are 3 Videos posted there and all of these were recorded with the HD500 or 500x.  Swing the gavel was recorded just before the Helix was released and you are actually hearing VAC700 on it.  The distorted guitar was using one of the new HD amps.  The live clip is a straight to mixing board at ROSFEST 2014.

Very Nice!