Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What should I do to make sure my Helix does nothing to my Variax besides powering it?

victorcastro1

I got used to not using the VDI cable, but I like the idea of not having to worry about running out of juice in the middle of a gig. I've tried setting everything on "don't force" and the settings are set to "global", but when I change patches Helix will turn off the Variax and get to the magnetic pickups. If I'm doing something wrong I can't see it. Anyone? 

If it was set to the magnetic the variax models just would not work. Can anyone check it? I read the manual, everything looks right, the manual states "Selects the Variax model and pickup position setting. When set to "Don't Force," Helix respects the Variax's current setting", but it doesn't seem to be working properly. If I set the Variax to the Tele model for example, if I change the preset, Helix will turn it off, even if I set the correct setting to "don't force". Is it a bug or something? Can anyone check on their own stuff? 

I know, what I meant was that, if I had it set to the Variax magnetics on the input, I would not be able to access the Variax models, so I'm sure the input is set correct. So, the input is set at Variax, not the Variax magnetics. On the settings tab, the setting that the manual states it will make Helix respect the current state of the Variax is set the correct way, it's set to "Don't Force" - and the settings are set to global. What happens is that, if I have the Variax modeling on, when I change to another preset on Helix, it will turn the Variax modeling off and go to the magnetics, but I can still turn on the modeling. 

I suggest you upgrade to the latest beta editor and firmware. They are now publicly available in the Downloads area of this website. Check the 'beta' box to make them appear in the list.

Let us know if the problem persists.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Try pushing the model knob so the models are off and then save the preset. When you recall that preset, the Variax will be recalled with the pickups on. I use my JTV's with the pickups on (models off) in nearly all my Helix presets. It recalls the state of the guitar at the last save of the preset. Also set the Helix to "per preset".

I suggest you upgrade to the latest beta editor and firmware. They are now publicly available in the Downloads area of this website. Check the 'beta' box to make them appear in the list.

Let us know if the problem persists.

What versions do you see at the beta area?

Unless something else is going on, this is not a bug, but expected behavior.

If you save the patch with the JTV model ON, it will recall the model ON when you choose that patch the next time. If you save it with the models OFF (the pickups ON), it will recall the patch with the models OFF / PU's ON.

I use this all the time. The Helix does this, the POD HD500(X) does this, and I recall correctly, my X3Live did this. I use the PU's a lot with a handful of models for acoustic patches and key-shifted patches. When I choose those, the models are on, when I choose another that I've saved with the PU's on, the PU's come on.

To me it's a valuable feature, you're not stuck with ALL models or ALL PU's on your patches. Just gotta keep your head on when you're saving the patches is all...

Dave

I had similar issues until I realized that setting the mode to "Don't Force" does not mean that the Variax on/off setting changes. I found that if I set the Variax to On or Off as desired via push on the model knob and *then* saving the patch did work.

So now, on patches where I want to use the mags, I push the model knob and make sure the light is off and then save the patch; if I want the Variax to use modelling, then I push down the model knob until it is lit and then save the patch like that.

You will need to have the Variax mode set to "Per Patch" for this to work. I'm not home to check, but I think it was on the Input block settings, as opposed to the Global Settings, which seemed "odd" to me, as this is a global setting. Once you have it set up as I mentioned here, you can turn Variax modelling on and off as desired per patch.

Variax 300-700 do not work the same as JTV Variax's that's a real issue with HELIX that and not linking the Work bench is a real pain. I am sure Line 6 are working to fix this.

If however they have no plans to fix then they should be open and advise future buyers that HELIX is not the same as the Pod hd series in the way it recognise ALL Variax models.