Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about the Volume Control

sheehanje

I am using my Helix for a couple things - one is as a modeler for bedroom recording.  Most importantly though, I use it 4 cable method with my Mesa Mark V.  I have an M13 too, but I find the helix has higher quality effects for the most part.

One annoyance, and I'm thinking it's probably something easy I'm overlooking is the volume control on the unit.  Can I fix my volume and not use that knob?  It's just odd to me and seems to easy to knock out, especially in a live gig.   I could've swore it was off before, but after getting my unit back from service (squeaky expression pedal) I noticed my amp was really quiet and found the volume knob was turned down on the Helix.   I don't want the Helix to control my overall volume, I want my amp to do that.

Is there any good readings on 4CM other than the very basics?  The M13 seemed a bit easier (and it should be because it was purpose built for it) - but like I said, I think the Helix is a little higher quality and I also like the built in expression pedal - one of the better ones I've used. M y requirements are pretty simple - noise gate, delay, chorus, occasional wah/volume swell and phaser.   

On page 3 of the Global Settings menu, you can select what outputs you want the large volume to control or not control.

I'm assuming "Global" means for every bank?  Or can I set it different for each patch or setlist?  I usually keep my 4CM banks in a different setlist from my Amp/Cab models.

Thanks,

John

I'm assuming "Global" means for every bank?  Or can I set it different for each patch or setlist?  I usually keep my 4CM banks in a different setlist from my Amp/Cab models.

Thanks,

John

One easy way to do this is program your 4CM "amp" banks so that they don't use the main output at all, only sends and returns. You might not be able to do this if you're using a bunch of FX pedals, but if you can, it's a great solution.

One easy way to do this is program your 4CM "amp" banks so that they don't use the main output at all, only sends and returns. You might not be able to do this if you're using a bunch of FX pedals, but if you can, it's a great solution.

Will give it a try.   The only main output right now is going to the Amp's FX Return.

Helix Guitar Input  <--- Guitar

Helix Send 1 --> Amp Input

Helix Return 1 <--  Amp FX Send

Helix 1/4" Output Left  -->  Amp FX Return

So I assume I just need to move the 1/4" to Helix Send 2?

Oh teach me wise ones!

Will give it a try.   The only main output right now is going to the Amp's FX Return.

Helix Guitar Input  <--- Guitar

Helix Send 1 --> Amp Input

Helix Return 1 <--  Amp FX Send

Helix 1/4" Output Left  -->  Amp FX Return

So I assume I just need to move the 1/4" to Helix Send 2?

Oh teach me wise ones!

yes, that is an easy way to do it in a way that totally bypasses the master volume control.

used mine live with a FRFR for the first time the other day.  

I set the volume control to just control the digital outputs (which includes Line 6 Link, which is what I plugged my foldback into),  which meant the volume control only adjusted my personal foldback and not the FOH send.

Likewise, if you didn't want the volume control to do anything at all, just set it to control an output you're NOT using (such as digital in your case)

it's a quick and easy setting to change on the fly at the start of the night,  depending on the current gig setup.

I do wish there was a more granular setting though.. for example instead of just "all 1/4" outputs or all XLR outputs" to be able to split that into Left and Right.  For example, if I had to use 1/4" left to FOH and 1/4" right to foldback (for whatever reason), I could therefore set the volume control accordingly so that i'm not adjusting the FOH send.