Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

auditioning for a cover band

AlexKenivel

so I've never really done this cover band stuff before (I've played a retirement party with my dad and some guys once), but I've been playing guitar for literally my life and have played in some original bands, toured, Studio sessions, recorded albums.

I turn 30 in a couple months and these guys are 40+. their song list includes some songs that i have never tried to play before but are fairly easy and I'm picking them up fairly fast, and a bunch of Zeppelin Tunes I kind of already know.

I know a lot of the guys here are in cover bands and have been for a while, but what are some tips and advice if you could give? I use a pod hd500x into an Alto TS112a wedge and there's another dedicated guitarist in the band.

Thanks

There are a few ways to approach tone creation for cover bands. I use a combination of all in various situations.

1) Search Customtone for song specific presets. You can expect that most of them may not sound as you expect because of differences in external equipment - guitar, amp, monitors, speakers, etc. But you will often find a tone that is quite good and sounds close to the original, or close enough to tweak to your taste.

2) search Customtone for specific bands that your band covers. For instance you can look for a 'generic' Led Zeppelin tone and again tweak to taste in terms of optional FX to turn off/on for different Zeppelin songs. I found some really versatile Helix tones this way recently for 60s Liverpool, SRV Blues, Stones, and I think Zeppelin. There are likely similar ones for the HD500.

3) Google some bands you cover to find out their original equipment and setups, and creat presets that replicate those. For instance, you'll get some nice early Beatles tones using VOX amps and Gretsch or Rickenbacker guitars (here's where a Variax really shines). For Stones, Fender amps and guitars, especially a Tele.

• Upvote 1

playing in a cover band in general?

That one.

Thanks silver,but at this point I'm not looking to replicate the exact sound I hear on the records. And it's just an audition in a band with another guitarist so for some of the songs I'm not sure if I'm taking more of a rhythm role or what. I just have a couple of models that I use for just about all the songs. tweaking the models to sound exactly like the records sounds fun but at this point I think it could be a lot of unnecessary work. although I do appreciate any information thrown at me

For an audition I would listen to the tunes and see if you can get some approximate general patches working. Clean, blues, rock and OD? you can put a boost in for leads if needed. 9/10 they have shot a list at you and depending on the time allotted know as much as you can but try and really nail some select ones. Most bands have lil cues they get used too (for breaks, solos, etc... ) so if they have FB/YouTube stuff up see if there are tunes in particular they always post and look for them. Cover bands have "comfort songs" too so if a tune is usually posted its a fave.

So it looks like you are already there. There are always exceptions like Boston... that tone always drives me nuts and some Cars stuff. :)

1. Have fun. Typically a cover band is not looking to go on tour, be famous etc... It's for fun and any audience is gonna pickup on if you enjoying yourself or not fast. I know you likely already know this but it's a good reminder.

2. Seems like this will be done for you already, but song selection is very important. Dance-able stuff is a huge plus in lot of places but not always. You have to play songs the audience wants to hear. Also no different that your original bands, song order is really important. Needs to have flow to it.

3. Pick a genre and work in it. With covers you can play a whole lot of different material. In my experice it's been best to find a genre that works for the band and kind of stay in it. You can step out a bit but don't want to wander from it a lot.

4. This one is arguable so I will preface this is my opinion. Hit the key signature parts of the cover but don't play it note for note. Anyone can go download the original artists playing the song, so make it yours. But if there is signature parts in the leads or riff try to nail those parts.

5. Depends on your original bands sets, it could be a bit tiring to play for 4 hours or more. Often in cover bands I will play 3 or 4 sets of 45 min. to 1 1/2 hours or so. 15 minutes and back on stage. It can be wearing on you, if your not used to it. I don't know your experice so may not be issue but worth considering.

Thanks guys. I think I'll do fine but I love to be well prepared.

No clips yet as these guys have only been together for a couple months and have about 20 songs on their list. What attracted me to these guys is the fact that they don't really do a whole bunch of Blues, not that I have anything against the blues, but the blues song after blues song can get pretty boring for me. they have more rocking songs, like Hard to Handle by The Black Crowes, a bunch of Zeppelin songs, a few Beatles songs and some David Bowie, the Who, Tom Petty..

I do try to listen to any other cover versions of songs to get a good range of what might happen comma and since I almost always improvise solos, I will probably take a few well known licks from the songs and throw them in there.

Know the songs!!! Not just how to play them but listen to them over and over so they are burned in your brain. I just recently auditioned for a new guitarist and was floored by how many folks didn't know the songs. Crazy right?

As for playing, learn how to play the parts using another inversion. Triads on the bottom strings up the neck are a nice compliment when amother guitar is playing power chords or first position chords. It's a nice textural thing and impressive.

Listen to the band while playing! Don't want to pee all over everbody. Nice and easy.

Oh and did I say, Know the songs!!! Lol!!!

Know the songs!!! Not just how to play them but listen to them over and over so they are burned in your brain. I just recently auditioned for a new guitarist and was floored by how many folks didn't know the songs. Crazy right?

As for playing, learn how to play the parts using another inversion. Triads on the bottom strings up the neck are a nice compliment when amother guitar is playing power chords or first position chords. It's a nice textural thing and impressive.

Listen to the band while playing! Don't want to pee all over everbody. Nice and easy.

Oh and did I say, Know the songs!!! Lol!!!

+1...unless you're an idiot savant, really "knowing" a tune takes longer than you think. Depending on how true to the original version everyone else is playing, there may be some subtle nuances or cues that are missing. It's not always the same as playing along with the recording. You might not even realize what cues you've been using to keep your place until one is missing. VERY easy to lose your footing that way...and I've been at this a long time.

Listen to the tunes over and over...right up to the point where one more repetition would trigger a stroke ;)...

Its all true too. We were auditioning singers and we had a guy come in who had no clue. I understand memorizing the lyrics will take some time so an ipad or lyric sheets are cool. But not knowing the basic melodies, with a two to three week notice................ "Next!"

Its all true too. We were auditioning singers and we had a guy come in who had no clue. I understand memorizing the lyrics will take some time so an ipad or lyric sheets are cool. But not knowing the basic melodies, with a two to three week notice................ "Next!"

I'll remember this one as long as I live...different issue, but still a funny audition story.

We were looking for a new drummer...guy knew the tune's well enough, but had an awful tendency to speed up significantly at every chorus, didn't matter what tune it was. Comically noticeable. When this was politely pointed out to him, he paused and said: "Are you sure it's not you guys?"

Can't make this stuff up...it's a jungle, folks. Lol...

Hahaha!!! When we first got together it was decided to do some OMs to get some stage legs for the new guys. Well we kicked off Running Down a Dream. Nice upbeat tempo until the first chorus where all of a sudden you could feel the dark clouds rushing in and the tempo was nearing double bass territory. Literally had to start sweeping arps through the outro solo, man there were some stink eyes flying around.  

I loved the "I thought it was supposed to speed up". **insert face palm here**

Good - Times!

Hahaha!!! When we first got together it was decided to do some OMs to get some stage legs for the new guys. Well we kicked off Running Down a Dream. Nice upbeat tempo until the first chorus where all of a sudden you could feel the dark clouds rushing in and the tempo was nearing double bass territory. Literally had to start sweeping arps through the outro solo, man there were some stink eyes flying around.

I loved the "I thought it was supposed to speed up". **insert face palm here**

Good - Times!

Lol...now there's a thought. A death metal version of "Running Down a Dream", complete with Cookie Monster vocals. That alone is worth the $10 cover charge...;)