Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global EQ not being neutral?

Onomatopoeia

Hello guys!

Is it possible the set the global eq "neutral", by wich I mean that it does not alter the sound? I Have it in it's factory settings (found on this forum) and I find that it alter the sound a whole lot when turned on in this configuration. With my bass plugged in it seems to cut some low end and overall "suck" the tone out of it. I would like to use it for cutting some higher freq but in this configuration it's not going to do it for me.

What are the global eq's neutral settings?

/Danne

The default settings for the global EQ are more or less transparent, according to this topic. Post #23 shows the default settings. While there is some low cut going on, I doubt it's anything perceivable, but I guess it's possible, maybe more so with a bass guitar.

As an alternative to the global EQ, you could try using the guitar-in Z global setting. Use a lower value to achieve a softer, less bright tone. The good thing about this setting is it can be used either globally or per preset.

As an alternative to the global EQ, you could try using the guitar-in Z global setting. Use a lower value to achieve a softer, less bright tone. The good thing about this setting is it can be used either globally or per preset.

I Never really understood that thing. What does it actually do? I've just keept it in 1M because it seems to give the tone a bit more body and top end.

I Never really understood that thing. What does it actually do? I've just keept it in 1M because it seems to give the tone a bit more body and top end.

It's an actual circuit, not modeled, in the HD. By default it's set to auto and what that does is match the input impedance to the first effect in the chain. As to what it does in terms of tone, it's pretty much as I described above. For bass, I've always put that on 3.5M because of the extra brightness it gives. But I like a bright, trebley bass tone most of the time.

It's by no means a tone sculpting tool, just a finishing touch kind of thing. It's probably a better idea to get the tone as good as you can first, independent of this setting, by using the amp controls or possibly some EQs.

As to what input impedance technically is, and why it affects tone the way it does, here's one source of info.

Where in the manual does it explain the global EQ and is it editable on the computer via X-edit

The manual doesn't say anything about it. It was introduced in firmware 2.61 I believe, back on 4/3/15, after the manual was written. It's also not editable via the edit program. Here's the info about it from from the firmware release notes:

To access Global EQ:

• Press and hold the VIEW button to open the Setup Menu.
  • Using the four-way, cursor right until you see the Global EQ screen.
  • Turn Knob 1 to select the desired EQ band (Low Cut, Low, Mid, High, High Cut) and turn Knobs 2, 3, and/or 4 to adjust the selected band.
  • To bypass or enable Global EQ, press ENTER.

IMO you should leave it off until all your tones are where you want them for your main rig. Then if you switch rigs you can use it to nudge the EQ in the desired direction. As it effects everything use gingerly but that is all my opinion. Some dudes will cut the low and highs in every patch and will just use the global EQ to do it.

Stil don't get how this eq isn't neutral from start...

Well, the defaults for the low cut and high cut are 20Hz and 20KHz, respectively. These are the outer limits of our perception, and well outside of an electric guitar's frequency range anyway...so unless you move those limits in, these filters aren't doing anything of consequence, which makes it as close to "neutral" as any EQ shelf filter can get. They had to start somewhere.

As far as the other center frequencies that's they've chosen as defaults, the gains are all at zero...not boosting or cutting anything, which is "neutral".