Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hate Line 6 Updates

hdsteele

Can't say that I have ever had a Line 6 Firmware update go smoothly.  Last was the HD500X and now Helix.  I have searched and tried the things discussed in here but still get failed update when moving from 1.4 to 1.06.5.  I download the last Helix program, ltest Updater, tried to update from online file and one downloaded to hard drive and tried changing USB ports. Deleted the files and downloaded again and tried online again.  All I get is "Gathering Update Info"....and then fail.  Now it boots to the initial start screen showing 1.4 and then straight to filed boot, in update mode. Any hints on what to do would be appreciated.  I am on a Macbook Pro with El Capitan. 

Just did the same update here a day or two ago, and it went seamlessly.

I am happy for you. I am not happy for me.  El Capitan 10.11.4, just confirmed. I do have older Line 6 stuff installed. Line 6 License Manager, Line 6 Monkey and PodHD500X Edit. Could those affect it somehow? don't see why they would but...who knows.

... All of which spells not-so-good news for hdsteele. The problem seems to be something in your Mac environment that doesn't play well with Helix. Hard to determine whether the problem lies with Line 6, Apple, or some other program running on your Mac.

I suggest you open a support ticket with Line 6, but be open to the possibility that it's not actually their fault and hence may not be something they can fix.

Again, happy for you! Anyone have some clues on where I should go from here? Maybe delete EVERYTHING Line 6 and start again? I don't see a version number on the Updater so I am assuming it is the latest one.

Sorry. Didn't mean to rub it in.

Yes, deleting all Line6 associated files, reinstalling and restarting might help. If you know how to reveal the user library, you might want to look in there too. Look in the preferences folder for any Line 6 plist files and delete them.

Went in and removed everything Line 6 I could find including Library files.  Going to start again but I want to make sure of one thing. Where in the install process should I turn on the Helix? Should it be off or unplugged from USB when I download and install and then turn it on after I install? Does it matter?

Also, I have Guitar Rig and Amplitube installed as well. Didn't remove them but will if anyone thinks something could be going on there?

One more question, I have a Windows 10 laptop. If my Mac can't handle the update is it ok to use the Windows laptop only for the update install and then go back to using the Mac? Now that I think about it I may have done that with the HD500X.....

One more question, I have a Windows 10 laptop. If my Mac can't handle the update is it ok to use the Windows laptop only for the update install and then go back to using the Mac? Now that I think about it I may have done that with the HD500X.....

I have been using Windows 10 with my Helix ever since I've had it, and I've never had any issues with updates, and being involved in the beta testing, I've done a ton of firmware updates - like 3 or 4 times a week or more.

Thanks. Not sure I know how to reveal the user library but can find out. I have a similar problem with the HD500X. Sure wish I could remember how I got it to work. I THINK it was by downloading the file instead of the online update.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and click on "Go" at the menu bar.

FYI, I'm running El Capitan (latest) on a MacBook Pro, and the firmware updater using the latest Helix application runs without issues on my system. I've even hopped back and forth between the most recent and older firmware versions without any problems. Check your system and your cable. I dunno.

You should have no problems updating with a Windows machine and then reverting to using it with a Mac. But it depends on where the problem occurs on the Mac. If it's just a problem with the update process you could be OK. It if it's a more general problem with USB communications then those problems might affect DAW or Helix librarian applications.

Also, make sure your Line 6 driver for Mac is up to date.

Also, make sure your Line 6 driver for Mac is up to date.

Thanks. When I search for the latest Line 6 driver I see Version 7.5.7, Released 11/23/15. However, it doesn't list Helix in the list of compatible devices.  Is this the correct driver to install?  Does it come bundled with the Updater or the Helix 1.06.5 update package? Should I install separately? 

Sorry - my mistake. The latest Mac El Capitan driver is not yet publicly available - still in beta testing. However, it may no longer be required since the latest Apple El Capitan update apparently fixes the problems the driver was designed to fix (since Apple was so slow to release a fix). If you're still having problems with El Capitan it's not likely a driver issue.

Tried the update from my WIn10 laptop. Went further through the update and got a successful update screen in Updater. However, Helix stopped while updating presets and gave me the Failed Update/Reboot and Try Again message.  When I rebooted Helix it showed the new version numbers but then went to the "Try Again" message. Did so and ran the update again and it seems to have completed the installation.  Happy happy joy joy!

Moved the USB back over to my Mac and the updater sees it fine but I started up the Helix app and it was good for 15 seconds or so and then grayed out on me with a message saying it can't detect the unit.  Reinstalled and getting the same thing...the only thing I can think of is maybe a bad USB cable which is going in and out of communication maybe? Could be my entire issue?

A bad or flakey usb cable can cause issues yes. Try a different cable and a different USB port of the mac. Or better yet, if you have something running on yer mac's USB port now, move it over to the usb port you tried to use for Helix( the one in question). If the current "thing" continues to run in its new port, its not the usb port on the mac you tried for Helix. make sense? Then try a new usb cable. Hope this made sense...