Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Audio Hum when using XLR outs to QSC K12 powered monitors

Rclere

I am experiencing a loud audio hum when I am using my helix into two powered monitors. I went in to the output section and made sure that it was on "line" setting. I am plugging the melody side of the Chapman Stick into the guitar input and the Bass side into RCV 1 because the AUX impedance is not right. Any suggestions. thanks in advance

Not to sound dismissive but check EVERYTHING. You wouldnt believe that a drum machine sitting too close to your interface or a UPS too near your helix could cause hum or other noises similar, but it does, and im betting its something this simple.

You havent given a bunch of info in your post, so im just thinking out loud here. :)

A bad fluorescent ballast to a noisy brick on the desk, to a fridge in the kitchen, or a bad AC step-down transformer in the alley can cause noise, including poor or no grounding. Move it to the other side of the house if nothing else works, and see if the humm/noise changes.

Not sure if it addresses your issue or not ... I have had an audible hum (I agree with sound people that any audible hum is loud) for the past two shows with two different bands.  Using the Helix ground lift last week went from bad to worse and this week no change.  First show the fix was to run my power straight into the power conditioner the PA was plugged into (short run thank God).  Today the fix was a Pyle PHE400 hum eliminator due to the inability to use the fix I used last week.

Dennis

Does it hum whether or not the instrument is plugged in? Are you using XLR cables or 1/4" phone plugs? If you're using the 1/4" plugs, are they shielded or are they unshielded speaker wire? Speaker wire will hum when used with powered speakers.

We should probably pin this topic as well, sooo many factors can lead to this I'll throw my latest one up here.

My helix sounded great at home but every time went to band practice there was a horrible buzz, after swapping cables, guitars, speakers, turning off all equipment then back on.... turns out it was a Monster Power Strip that didn't have anything turned on in it, was hooked up to his home theater. Unplugged it and the buzz disappeared. So it doesn't have to be anything attached to the Helix or your sound  equipment.

We should probably pin this topic as well, sooo many factors can lead to this I'll throw my latest one up here.

My helix sounded great at home but every time went to band practice there was a horrible buzz, after swapping cables, guitars, speakers, turning off all equipment then back on.... turns out it was a Monster Power Strip that didn't have anything turned on in it, was hooked up to his home theater. Unplugged it and the buzz disappeared. So it doesn't have to be anything attached to the Helix or your sound  equipment.

Having the same kind of issue all of a sudden with XLR noise.....going to invest in a good Furmann Power Conditioner....buddy of mine has one and he gets zero noise no matter where his rig is plugged in....and his tube amp "hiss" is virtually gone as well....units are a little pricey but they do solve power/noise issues very well...

Dhaaaaaa! I also did not mention, that I am getting No sound from the instrument whatsoever! I was using the XLR just fine, and then this happened all of a sudden. I switched to using 1/4 and have no problem... I am sorry for not mentioning this before... (doofus attack)

When I was analyzing my band practice problem I forgot to mention, my bass player had a power conditioner, I plugged into that with no effect. Only when the Monster Strip was unplugged did it cease..... so weird.

When I was analyzing my band practice problem I forgot to mention, my bass player had a power conditioner, I plugged into that with no effect. Only when the Monster Strip was unplugged did it cease..... so weird.

Go monster!!!  Sounds defective ( no pun intended) :rolleyes: