Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Joystick/ Action Button on Helix not working

Guitarzman

Need some help with my Helix, yesterday I was editing and changing my amp models and was working fine, and now my edit screen doesn't come up so I cant change any Amp models, effects cabs etc.. The Joystick button is just to the left of the volume button! Number 7 on the owners manual  ( page 6)...

The Joystick doesn't look damaged, I keep it on the stand at all times!

Thanks!

Joe

Is it just the up/down action of the joystick?  Does rotating it still work?

Hey Darrel,

I can move the -Joystick- button left or right and up and down on existing presets that does work, but when I push down to  select an effect with the Joystick  to edit nothing happens.. - ( the screen to change  amps, cabs  or effects nothing come"s up)

That's definitely not cool.  I'd recommend reflashing the firmware and, if that doesn't help, opening a support ticket immediately.  Line 6 has been working really hard to resolve any Helix issues very quickly.

Thanks Darrel yeah not too happy I did open a ticket this morning!

I think the Joystick push down switch is faulty!  Pretty sure because when I tried to save a preset the joystick push-down switch to select a letter ie caps or number"s didn't work either..

I will let you know!!

And yeah already re-installed the firmware..

Thanks again Darrel,

• Downvote 1

They're talking about this in the Helix thread on the TGP forum.  It looks like you're one of three, according to Line 6, to have a joystick problem.  Not too bad since they've sold thousands of units, unless of course you're one of the three.  

I hope they get you back up and running quickly.

LoL thanks for the post Darrel ,  1 of 3 and they sold a few thousand units wow !!  :blink: maybe I'll play a lottery ticket or something...

Gonna check out The Gear Page and see what's up! Looks like my units going in for repair soon though  :wacko: grrrr  *&(&(&...

• Upvote 1

As a temporary workaround you can install the new update.  That way you can still accomplish those tasks from your computer.

Just downloaded the Beta Editor and Firmware 1.10.00 couldn't come at a better time lol ,, The new Firmware update is GREAT!

The Helix sounds way better!! Running through my FRFR speakers..

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

They're talking about this in the Helix thread on the TGP forum.  It looks like you're one of three, according to Line 6, to have a joystick problem.  Not too bad since they've sold thousands of units, unless of course you're one of the three.  

I hope they get you back up and running quickly.

My joystick scroll stopped working and I just opened a ticket.

-Max

• 3 months later...

Yeah mine is still not working! Im using the laptop editor to edit my tones but its a really annoying. spoke with support but its not a software issue and was told  the joystick button needs to be replaced.. Sending my helix back for repairs.....

When mine stopped working the same way, I put in a ticket and returned it to Line 6 for repair. The turnaround was only 6 days from shipping until it arrived back on my doorstep. I haven't had any issues since and the guys at Line 6 were absolutely amazing for customer support.

-Max

• 1 month later...

I know this is a fairly old topic, but just yesterday, on my Helix Rack, the joystick started acting funny. I can push to select, and move up/down/left/right fine, but scrolling is the issue. It works about 40% of the time, if I'm holding it in the right position, but sometimes it works like normal.. It's weird... I was really hoping I wouldn't have to send it in, but it's looking like I will.  :(

• 5 months later...

Hi, here we have other user with this issue, after one year of very soft use, firstly it was the scrolling function (I can live without it, I thought), but 5 minutes after, the push down didn't work either, then the unit can't be used to edit any presets or create a new one by itself. The only workaround is the fking editor.

Resetting the unit (Holding footswitch 9+10) and reflashing didn't help.

I tried also 4&5 footswitches but it was not possible to sel unit test without the push down function.

I opened a ticket and it seems to be hardware issue.

Then I need to send it for repairing to a line6 service center (not only USA) or the purchase store.

As this issue seems to be usual, It could be great to have other alternative way, in other button to perform the same push down function (for instance, press 2 sec page >).

BR

I don't use the joystick very often at all, but mine has been back for repair twice now for this issue. Very quick turn around on repair, UPS picks it up on Thursday and then on the following Tuesday my repaired Helix is back on my doorstep.

-Max

Mine is 2 weeks in the lab, and I think it's another 2 weeks to come back. That is a pain really.

EDIT; just got the great news the Helix is coming back from Germany! And guess what? Was a soldering issue....... .... ...

Sigh.

Helix came back just now. Rotary is now working, but the right selection is sluggish as hell. You need to push really hard to make it working, and it does not make the typical "click".

What a pain in the butt. Really tempted to throw the thing out of the window.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

My joystick stopped scrolling out of no where. The problem did not occur following any update, I was working on adjusting my presets when it stopped scrolling. My helix was one of the very first units shipped out from production and so early in fact it fell outside of Line 6’s option for extended warranty. Somehow they included units after mine to be eligible but not those who had pre-ordered the unit. Its had extremely soft use; I baby my gear. Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost to get repaired?

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2018 at 12:22 PM, defendtheisland said:

My joystick stopped scrolling out of no where. The problem did not occur following any update, I was working on adjusting my presets when it stopped scrolling. My helix was one of the very first units shipped out from production and so early in fact it fell outside of Line 6’s option for extended warranty. Somehow they included units after mine to be eligible but not those who had pre-ordered the unit. Its had extremely soft use; I baby my gear. Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost to get repaired?

My Helix is also a fairly early unit (10/2015) and the joystick also stopped scrolling today without warning - did a global reset but no change. I opened a support ticket and am confident L6 will get me fixed up. 

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, sxdas said:

This seems to be a common mistake of the hardware.

Considering you just responded to a 4 year old thread that nobody has taken part in for nearly two years.... I'm not so sure I would consider this "common". 

Yes... sadly there are failure rates but no product is immune to that. It does suck when it happens to you, but that doesn't make it a widespread "common mistake" as you put it. 

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
15 minutes ago, moonshine2015 said:

how do I report a ticket please??

Hi moonshine2015

Go to the top of this page and click on the menu item “SUPPORT”, on the next page click on the RED USER ICON between the Globe and Shopping Cart in the top right of the screen, note: you need to be logged in to your account for the red user icon to show or it will be grey. This will open a drop down menu and under the heading “Support” , the first item is Support Tickets. Click that and it will open the Support Tickets page. In the top right of the page click on the “OPEN NEW TICKET” button.

Hope this helps/makes sense

On 8/8/2016 at 3:31 PM, Guitarzman said:

Yeah mine is still not working! Im using the laptop editor to edit my tones but its a really annoying. spoke with support but its not a software issue and was told  the joystick button needs to be replaced.. Sending my helix back for repairs.....

I know it’s an old post...I think this is software/ firmware, not hardware.

2 hours ago, moonshine2015 said:

I think this is software/ firmware, not hardware.

If you believe YOUR problem is software/firmware - try a full reset on the unit.

If the problem persists, try a fresh update - followed by a full reset!

As long as you have backups you won't lose anything...

7 hours ago, codamedia said:

If you believe YOUR problem is software/firmware - try a full reset on the unit.

If the problem persists, try a fresh update - followed by a full reset!

As long as you have backups you won't lose anything...

Done the 5/6 Full reset..on rack.....Got all the tones i had (v3) update, still no sign of Jog/ Wheel Fix 

Ive been at it the whole day...May do another tomorrow with ver 3 re install...

19 minutes ago, moonshine2015 said:

Done the 5/6 Full reset..on rack.....Got all the tones i had (v3) update, still no sign of Jog/ Wheel Fix 

Ive been at it the whole day...May do another tomorrow with ver 3 re install...

Is it a Rack or a Floor? You can start the unit in Diagnose/Hardware Test, and check if it's a faulty joystick. This is low level, so the firmware should not really matter. 

31 minutes ago, PierM said:

Is it a Rack or a Floor? You can start the unit in Diagnose/Hardware Test, and check if it's a faulty joystick. This is low level, so the firmware should not really matter. 

Rack..How do i check the diagnostics? brand new machine and im doing this? Im under warranty...fingers crossed.

Thanks for the ideas for fixes,