Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Joystick/ Action Button on Helix not working

Guitarzman

1 hour ago, moonshine2015 said:

Rack..How do i check the diagnostics? brand new machine and im doing this? Im under warranty...fingers crossed.

Thanks for the ideas for fixes, 

moonshine2015,

You are still continuing to cross post this issue, and it is getting tiresome to keep tracking you down to find out if you have done anything about solving this problem by following the solutions previously supplied.

First try the Factory reset options and/or re-flash the firmware. If this is a hardware problem raise a Customer Support ticket. In this latest post you say it is under warranty and other posts that it brand new as an early present - have it fixed or replaced.I

Hope this, helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, moonshine2015 said:

also done these all apart from the re-flash, dont understand

Hello, once again,

You haven’t said what your computer and Operating System is, but let’s try this.

To Re-flash the Helix Rack.

O.K. go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select Helix Rack, then leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" as is, now select your PC/ Mac Operating System from under the "-ALL OS-" tab, then click the “GO” button. 

From the next page you can select the Firmware 3.0.00 Flash Memory for your Helix Rack, then below that you will need the HX Edit 3.0. Now scroll further down the page a get the Line 6 Updater version 1.19. Download all these bits to your PC/Mac. 

First install HX Edit 3.0 (including the required drivers) and if you have made any presets that you wish to keep then they need to be backed up using HX Edit before updating the Firmware. If everything is fine then proceed to next step. 

Ensure that HX Edit is closed and that you have your Helix Rack  connected to your PC/Mac by USB cable (do not use a hub) and launch the Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". 

Your Helix Rack and current firmware version should show in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select the local file - point it at the Flash Memory file that you down loaded previously and let it get on with the update.

Hope this helps/makes sense

EDIT:

If you can’t find the Line 6 Updater 1.19 simply go back and select it from the “-ALL SOFTWARE-“ option.

Edited by datacommando
Added info

To prove this as a hardware fault or not,

Start your Helix in test mode with FW 3&4 held down.

Select UI Test

Turn the Joystick - ENCJ value should change

Move the Joystick - JOY U D L R should go green

Press The Joystick - ECCJ should go green.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, datacommando said:

moonshine2015,

You are still continuing to cross post this issue, and it is getting tiresome to keep tracking you down to find out if you have done anything about solving this problem by following the solutions previously supplied.

First try the Factory reset options and/or re-flash the firmware. If this is a hardware problem raise a Customer Support ticket. In this latest post you say it is under warranty and other posts that it brand new as an early present - have it fixed or replaced.I

Hope this, helps/makes sense.

Sorry, that was my fault... was trying to help him finding a definitive answer, and move on... But he has a rack, so no Hardware Test UI, as far as I know. Im still 99% sure he has a faulty joystick, and should just send the unit for repair.

42 minutes ago, PierM said:

Sorry, that was my fault... was trying to help him finding a definitive answer, and move on... But he has a rack, so no Hardware Test UI, as far as I know. Im still 99% sure he has a faulty joystick, and should just send the unit for repair.

Im beginning to think its Harware / I cant really see the Software controlling a physical switch...But Hey!!  Its under warranty and to be quite honest im not happy with the dealer who has sold this to me if this is the case..Thanks for your interest Pier M 

Im happy to share my woes to find out by other users , although it seems somefolks out there get a bit uptight...no mention any names.

its my purchase and if i wish to shere the isses i will. The more these issues are shown for others the better.

22 minutes ago, moonshine2015 said:

Im beginning to think its Harware / I cant really see the Software controlling a physical switch...But Hey!!  Its under warranty and to be quite honest im not happy with the dealer who has sold this to me if this is the case..

A major problem reported by just a few people would almost always be hardware related. If it were a software/firmware issue then it would effect everyone that loaded that version.

Why are you not happy with the dealer? Do you think they knew this unit was faulty when they sold it to you?

• Was it a new unit with full warranty? If the dealer knew about it, why wouldn't they return it and get a new one rather than sell it to a customer who would most certainly return it... and probably be very upset? That makes no sense! 
  • OR.... was it a used unit with a short dealer warranty? If that's the case, give them a chance to fix it!

Your thought process seems a little misguided. 

9 minutes ago, codamedia said:

A major problem reported by just a few people would almost always be hardware related. If it were a software/firmware issue then it would effect everyone that loaded that version.

Why are you not happy with the dealer? Do you think they knew this unit was faulty when they sold it to you?

• Was it a new unit with full warranty? If the dealer knew about it, why wouldn't they return it and get a new one rather than sell it to a customer who would most certainly return it... and probably be very upset? That makes no sense! 
  • OR.... was it a used unit with a short dealer warranty? If that's the case, give them a chance to fix it!

I totally agree on what you have said...The model ive purchased was B Stock...and i got some money off...

www.pmtonline.co.uk Spoke to staff etc..and the assured me it has a scuff etc.. When i recieved there was NO scuff marks...But since ive learned that this could have been in a store for an unknow period of time, who know what use its actually had..I recon its hardware...as its been purchase as a gift...but it reconned id open and do the update, has used myself for a few hours etc...no probs but Joystick was only new to me in how it worked..i do remeber clicking on it and it opens menus to stuff ( multifunctional) so didnt see any issues 2-3 weeks ago, when ive recently opened to do update Version 3.0 update...i noticed later that the jog/joystick didnt work properly...ie scroll thru parameters and do other normal functions...it does still click thru blocks up and downwards ok...Hope this helps.

And yea be more than happy for the company that sold me this online..to have it picked up and fixed under my statutory warranty & guarantee. 

John Russell

21 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Ive went to the web site where i purchased my Helix...The same B Stock model is still for sale...Maybe its been a shop demo/ who knows...Just love thw Rack and want it repaired if thats the issue. Thanks again.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=helix+rack

12 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hello, once again,

You haven’t said what your computer and Operating System is, but let’s try this.

O.K. go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select Helix Rack, then leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" as is, now select your PC/ Mac Operating System from under the "-ALL OS-" tab, then click the “GO” button. 

From the next page you can select the Firmware 3.0.00 Flash Memory for your Helix Rack, then below that you will need the HX Edit 3.0. Now scroll further down the page a get the Line 6 Updater version 1.19. Download all these bits to your PC/Mac. 

First install HX Edit 3.0 (including the required drivers) and if you have made any presets that you wish to keep then they need to be backed up using HX Edit before updating the Firmware. If everything is fine then proceed to next step. 

Ensure that HX Edit is closed and that you have your Helix Rack  connected to your PC/Mac by USB cable (do not use a hub) and launch the Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". 

Your Helix Rack and current firmware version should show in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select the local file - point it at the Flash Memory file that you down loaded previously and let it get on with the update.

EDIT:

If you can’t find the Line 6 Updater 1.19 simply go back and select it from the “-ALL SOFTWARE-“ option.

Yea done all that Dec 1st...re done again..and its the exact same v3.00 bundle ...Im beginning to realise that other members online say its possibly hardware...Being a B Stock model raises more awareness for me...Its under warranty and ive shared...Im happy to get it repaired if needs be.

John

12 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hello, once again,

EDIT:

16 minutes ago, moonshine2015 said:

i noticed later that the jog/joystick didnt work properly...ie scroll thru parameters and do other normal functions...it does still click thru blocks up and downwards ok...Hope this helps.

Take a look at this Global Setting....

Global Settings > Preferences > Joystick Encoder.... 

The Firmware 3.0 update reset the global settings... it COULD just be that this setting got changed from what you were used to using.  

If it just "doesn't do anything".... then it is likely malfunctioning. 

From the manual: Determines the joystick behavior when a block is selected within the Home screen - signal flow. For “Model” (the default), turning the joystick knob scrolls through available models for the selected block. For “Selection,” turning the joystick knob quickly navigates selecting blocks across the signal flow. SHORTCUT: Pressing while turning the joystick reverses the current joystick behavior.

10 minutes ago, codamedia said:

The Firmware 3.0 update reset the global settings... it COULD just be that this setting got changed from what you were used to using.  

From the manual: Determines the joystick behavior when a block is selected within the Home screen - signal flow. For “Model” (the default), turning the joystick knob scrolls through available models for the selected block. For “Selection,” turning the joystick knob quickly navigates selecting blocks across the signal flow. SHORTCUT: Pressing while turning the joystick reverses the current joystick behavior.

10 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Checking Now

Edited by moonshine2015

2 minutes ago, moonshine2015 said:

Checking Now

I remeber going thru this secton on Glabal...kindoff hope i had selected something..ive tried both Model & Selection...just there..The joystick Controller seems flawless..doesnt show signs of misuse anywhere..doesnt open blocks aor clicking / scrolling and changing nothing...seems like its software sometime really...who knows??  Appreciatte your concerns thanks once again,

2 minutes ago, moonshine2015 said:

My Rack has arrived to me in Prisine condition...Being B Stock i maybe thought there could be marks Scuffs wear n tear etc...totally flawless...

The joystick controller seems in OK working order...on the usual up/ down/ side to side...flicks the blocks...but no changes on click or scrolling...

its really quite odd that its just stopped...and it was after version 3 was installed...(Red Herring Maybe)

On 12/2/2020 at 1:53 PM, codamedia said:

If you believe YOUR problem is software/firmware - try a full reset on the unit.

If the problem persists, try a fresh update - followed by a full reset!

As long as you have backups you won't lose anything...

Done both last night.

ver 3 re installed + buttons 5-6 on the Helix - still malfunctions

Thanks, Been a great help. Indeed

Just now, moonshine2015 said:

Done both last night.

ver 3 re installed + buttons 5-6 on the Helix - still malfunctions

Thanks, Been a great help. Indeed

Is it possible i shouild try to go back with older update (2.80 ) to re try , as the fauld developed after version 3.00 update remember...

3 hours ago, moonshine2015 said:

Its under warranty and to be quite honest im not happy with the dealer who has sold this to me if this is the case.

This is looking more and more like a hardware issue - simple solution - get you money back, or a replacement.

Damn - so many crossposts on this issue that I have only just seen that what you bought was a "B" stock item.

My work here is done - good luck.

4 hours ago, moonshine2015 said:

whats up with buying a B stock version...?

Absolutely nothing wrong with buying B stock, as I have done many times previously, just so long as you have a full warranty on the unit.

If you have the guarantee on the Rack, take it back and either get a refund or replacement.

As it stands you have spent the best part of two days and a couple of dozen posts chasing round trying to figure out if it is a software or hardware issue. If all your posts had been in one thread, rather than a scattergun approach, it might have been easier to figure out.

The issue of the unresponsive joystick due to an earlier firmware update brought quite a few responses at the time, as did the problem of dry solder on some joystick connections way back in time. AFAIK, you are the only person to mention the problem recently. It could well be a glitch in the firmware, but it has not been resolved by re-flashing the Rack.

Only other conclusion is a fault in the box, and if that’s the situation, then I am unable to try and assist you any further - hence, the “my work here is done” comment, and the “good luck” was because, you had mentioned that you were not too happy with the dealer you purchased your Rack from. Until you get it in to be checked by an engineer, you still have a pristine boat anchor.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with buying B stock, as I have done many times previously, just so long as you have a full warranty on the unit.

If you have the guarantee on the Rack, take it back and either get a refund or replacement.

As it stands you have spent the best part of two days and a couple of dozen posts chasing round trying to figure out if it is a software or hardware issue. If all your posts had been in one thread, rather than a scattergun approach, it might have been easier to figure out.

The issue of the unresponsive joystick due to an earlier firmware update brought quite a few responses at the time, as did the problem of dry solder on some joystick connections way back in time. AFAIK, you are the only person to mention the problem recently. It could well be a glitch in the firmware, but it has not been resolved by re-flashing the Rack.

Only other conclusion is a fault in the box, and if that’s the situation, then I am unable to try and assist you any further - hence, the “my work here is done comment”, and the “good luck” was because, you had mentioned that you were not too happy with the dealer you purchased your Rack from. Until you get it in to be checked by an engineer, you still have a pristine boat anchor.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Not fair to say anything about the dealer tbh...but possibly how i felt after spending a fortune on a product thats faulty/ demo'd/ or tested by possibly 100s of folks if it was on display..

Going by the unit id say its been kept well as there aint a single mark on it.

The Line 6 team had given me the whole routine to check thru earlier today, managed it later tonight...

Firmware 1.92

Edit v 3.00 removed re- installed

Global 5+6 Done to sort presets and clear all settings, _1+3 etc in the settings

then re installed all new presets/sounds..took a bit of time.

I couldnt understand when you had suggested this also  earlier... just slightly different. Wasnt sure what the terminology meant.

Outcome was The Jog Wheel/ Controller didnt change at all, still remains the same. Once you use this brilliant feature theres no diving at the mouse  to use the editor / for qwik parameter changes. Shame its developed this fault. 

Some folks would'nt possibly use this feature, i would for many situations. The rack is an awesome pice of kit, sounds better than Kemper in many ways, some ways not...Great for editing tho. Way ahead of the game, is Line 6.

So you have suggested what i should do is return the unit?

Surely Line 6 may have another route, who knows...I'll re- submit a ticket again and let Olaf Schildt - Line 6 support know and hopefully they will advise on the best route to take now.

Im not sure if i should return and upgrase to a brand new model and NOT a B listed one.

Appreciate all the help and advice you have given me...and also everyone else...

The more heads the better.

Moonshine 2015

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, codamedia said:

There is way too much overthinking.... 

It's under warranty. Take it back to have it fixed or replaced. 

Called dealer today... Rack will be collected Monday...Ordered new one (NOT B Stock)

Not worth taking the chance. Love this machine inc Ver 3.00

Nice one Line 6 ....(22 happy years)

Thanks for the very fast responces from everyone...Cheers

Jono