Guitarzman

Joystick/ Action Button on Helix not working

Need some help with my Helix, yesterday I was editing and changing my amp models and was working fine, and now my edit screen doesn't come up so I cant change any Amp models, effects cabs etc.. The Joystick button is just to the left of the volume button! Number 7 on the owners manual  ( page 6)...

The Joystick doesn't look damaged, I keep it on the stand at all times!

Thanks!

Joe

Is it just the up/down action of the joystick?  Does rotating it still work?

Hey Darrel,

I can move the -Joystick- button left or right and up and down on existing presets that does work, but when I push down to  select an effect with the Joystick  to edit nothing happens.. - ( the screen to change  amps, cabs  or effects nothing come"s up)

Actually rotating doesn't work either just left right up and down works..  

That's definitely not cool.  I'd recommend reflashing the firmware and, if that doesn't help, opening a support ticket immediately.  Line 6 has been working really hard to resolve any Helix issues very quickly.

Thanks Darrel yeah not too happy I did open a ticket this morning!

I think the Joystick push down switch is faulty!  Pretty sure because when I tried to save a preset the joystick push-down switch to select a letter ie caps or number"s didn't work either..

I will let you know!!

And yeah already re-installed the firmware..

Thanks again Darrel,

• Downvote 1

They're talking about this in the Helix thread on the TGP forum.  It looks like you're one of three, according to Line 6, to have a joystick problem.  Not too bad since they've sold thousands of units, unless of course you're one of the three.  

I hope they get you back up and running quickly.

LoL thanks for the post Darrel ,  1 of 3 and they sold a few thousand units wow !!  :blink: maybe I'll play a lottery ticket or something...

Gonna check out The Gear Page and see what's up! Looks like my units going in for repair soon though  :wacko: grrrr  *&(&(&...

• Upvote 1

As a temporary workaround you can install the new update.  That way you can still accomplish those tasks from your computer.

As a temporary workaround you can install the new update.  That way you can still accomplish those tasks from your computer.

Nice!! just noticed the Beta Editor is out  been waiting should do the trick for now!!  

Just downloaded the Beta Editor and Firmware 1.10.00 couldn't come at a better time lol ,, The new Firmware update is GREAT!

The Helix sounds way better!! Running through my FRFR speakers..

• Upvote 1

They're talking about this in the Helix thread on the TGP forum.  It looks like you're one of three, according to Line 6, to have a joystick problem.  Not too bad since they've sold thousands of units, unless of course you're one of the three.  

I hope they get you back up and running quickly.

My joystick scroll stopped working and I just opened a ticket.

-Max

And here's another angry guy who can't scroll. Luckily can still move in all directions and push to select, but not being able to scroll is annoying. Any updates on this?

The same has happened to me last night at a gig where I was trying to impress a potential new buyer!!!!

Yeah mine is still not working! Im using the laptop editor to edit my tones but its a really annoying. spoke with support but its not a software issue and was told  the joystick button needs to be replaced.. Sending my helix back for repairs.....

Put in a support ticket to get my Helix repaired and also spoke with Frank Ritchotte from Line 6 who I might add was very helpful with any questions or concerns... Thanks Line 6

When mine stopped working the same way, I put in a ticket and returned it to Line 6 for repair. The turnaround was only 6 days from shipping until it arrived back on my doorstep. I haven't had any issues since and the guys at Line 6 were absolutely amazing for customer support.

-Max

I know this is a fairly old topic, but just yesterday, on my Helix Rack, the joystick started acting funny. I can push to select, and move up/down/left/right fine, but scrolling is the issue. It works about 40% of the time, if I'm holding it in the right position, but sometimes it works like normal.. It's weird... I was really hoping I wouldn't have to send it in, but it's looking like I will.  :(

Yeah sounds like the Joystick needs to be replaced, got mine fixed fairly quickly only took about a week and working great again! 

Hi, here we have other user with this issue, after one year of very soft use, firstly it was the scrolling function (I can live without it, I thought), but 5 minutes after, the push down didn't work either, then the unit can't be used to edit any presets or create a new one by itself. The only workaround is the fking editor.

Resetting the unit (Holding footswitch 9+10) and reflashing didn't help.

I tried also 4&5 footswitches but it was not possible to sel unit test without the push down function.

I opened a ticket and it seems to be hardware issue.

Then I need to send it for repairing to a line6 service center (not only USA) or the purchase store.

As this issue seems to be usual, It could be great to have other alternative way, in other button to perform the same push down function (for instance, press 2 sec page >).

BR

I don't use the joystick very often at all, but mine has been back for repair twice now for this issue. Very quick turn around on repair, UPS picks it up on Thursday and then on the following Tuesday my repaired Helix is back on my doorstep.

-Max

Same here took my Helix back where I purchased it and got it back within a week and never had a problem since. Line 6 customer support is great never had an issue!

Mine is 2 weeks in the lab, and I think it's another 2 weeks to come back. That is a pain really.

EDIT; just got the great news the Helix is coming back from Germany! And guess what? Was a soldering issue....... .... ...

Sigh.

Helix came back just now. Rotary is now working, but the right selection is sluggish as hell. You need to push really hard to make it working, and it does not make the typical "click".

What a pain in the butt. Really tempted to throw the thing out of the window.

Happy end for my joystick issue (rotatory and push down), one day after it was fixed in a official line6 center. It should be so easy to repair that no extra spare items needed.

My joystick stopped scrolling out of no where. The problem did not occur following any update, I was working on adjusting my presets when it stopped scrolling. My helix was one of the very first units shipped out from production and so early in fact it fell outside of Line 6’s option for extended warranty. Somehow they included units after mine to be eligible but not those who had pre-ordered the unit. Its had extremely soft use; I baby my gear. Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost to get repaired?

Open a Support Ticket w/Line 6 immediately! Line 6 is aware of a connector cold solder problem that affected a small number of units. Hopefully, they will have you covered. 

On 3/25/2018 at 12:22 PM, defendtheisland said:

My joystick stopped scrolling out of no where. The problem did not occur following any update, I was working on adjusting my presets when it stopped scrolling. My helix was one of the very first units shipped out from production and so early in fact it fell outside of Line 6’s option for extended warranty. Somehow they included units after mine to be eligible but not those who had pre-ordered the unit. Its had extremely soft use; I baby my gear. Does anyone have a rough idea of the cost to get repaired?

My Helix is also a fairly early unit (10/2015) and the joystick also stopped scrolling today without warning - did a global reset but no change. I opened a support ticket and am confident L6 will get me fixed up.