Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recreate emulated tones with DT50

rmp5s1

I was wondering if anyone knew of a convenient way of converting/setting up patches that use emulated amps/cabs to use my DT50 instead?  Do I just delete the amp/cab block?  

Ideally, I'd like to have one bank of tones for DI recording and have that same bank of patches set up to use the amp (getting the tones as close as possible...of course they won't be exactly the same but that's ok) and going in and just manually doing it like I have been trying to do it so far has resulted in me BLASTING myself with ludicrous volume more than once (DAMN the DT50 2x12 is loud!!!) while changing between patches.

I was under the impression that whatever amp settings you have on the HD just change the configuration of the DT when you have it connected via L6 Link, so in theory you could use the same patches for live and DI?

Ahhh right, that should fix your issues, the L6 link is brilliant!

I'm looking forward to trying it out.  It's one of the main reasons I bought the amp and pedal was to utilize the flexibility it affords in the studio.  Will post results!

Thanks man.

You will have to rebalance volume and build new tones for your DT50 versions because the DT power amp does not attempt to recreate the HD power amp simulations.
You may want to consider switching your tones to only use the preamp models in the HD (but this is not a hard requirement - play with it and use what you like).
Different DT power amp configurations will produce different volumes like tube amps do - there is just no way around it.
I no longer us the DT but have measured how volume levels change based on DT power amp configurations (see attached PDF).
My approach to adjust for it is to put the mixer at the very end of your HD model chain and set it to 0dB gain for your tone with lowest volume level.
Then adjust all the other tones turning gain down so that they all have the same volume (assuming you want balanced levels).
I would start by setting the DT Master at ~3pm and adjust the level you want for all tones with Master on the HD.
Once your level is bearable play with the DT Master to get the max tube effect you want from all your DT power amp configurations.

The attachment below describes how you can get more control of the DT power amp configuration.

Don't let this confuse you if you are not interested.

Just look at the table that shows how different DT amp configurations produce different volume levels.

I have a DT25 and thus your DT50 may not behave exactly like that - but I suspect its in the ball park.
Enjoy,
DT25 Power Amp Parameters.pdf