Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assign knobs 1- 6 to be MIDI CC's

roscoe5

Is it possible to assign the knobs 1-6 knobs below the display to send MIDI CC to external devices, like you can with EXP 1, 2, & 3 and JTV control knobs?

I would like to do a couple of things with them to help me tweak things on the fly on the Helix without going back to my rack or computer.

1. I have blank routing-only presets configured for Amplitube 4. The knobs on the Amplitube amps are capable of MIDI learn/assignment to MIDI CC#'s and ranges 0-127. I could potentially remotely control Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Volume, and Presence of a software amp if I could make an assignment.

2. My Mesa Triaxis v2.0 (and maybe Marshall JMP-1) is capable of instant MIDI CC of each preset's parameters, such as Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Volume, and Presence to MIDI CC#'s and ranges 0-127. Again, remotely controlling certain MIDI rack parameters from the Helix knobs 1-6.

I was sort of assuming you could when I bought the Helix. For some dumb reason when pre-reading the manual, I thought that the Command Center Instant locations 1-6 were the knobs 1-6 (duh, now I know better). I don't see a way to do this in the Helix manual or in the Helix Command center, but I thought I would ask here.

The Helix is designed to be a floor unit.  Those teeny knobs would be worthless all the way down on the floor.

I use this up on an iPad holder attached to my music or mic stand:

https://global.novationmusic.com/launch/launch-control#

$99 at Musician's friend.  Completely programmable.  I also use it to control amp parameters in my Helix patches.  Really handy.

Is it possible to assign the knobs 1-6 knobs below the display to send MIDI CC to external devices, like you can with EXP 1, 2, & 3 and JTV control knobs?

I would like to do a couple of things with them to help me tweak things on the fly on the Helix without going back to my rack or computer.

1. I have blank routing-only presets configured for Amplitube 4. The knobs on the Amplitube amps are capable of MIDI learn/assignment to MIDI CC#'s and ranges 0-127. I could potentially remotely control Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Volume, and Presence of a software amp if I could make an assignment.

2. My Mesa Triaxis v2.0 (and maybe Marshall JMP-1) is capable of instant MIDI CC of each preset's parameters, such as Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble, Volume, and Presence to MIDI CC#'s and ranges 0-127. Again, remotely controlling certain MIDI rack parameters from the Helix knobs 1-6.

I was sort of assuming you could when I bought the Helix. For some dumb reason when pre-reading the manual, I thought that the Command Center Instant locations 1-6 were the knobs 1-6 (duh, now I know better). I don't see a way to do this in the Helix manual or in the Helix Command center, but I thought I would ask here.

hmmmmm. I would think its would not work that well, unless you select a blank block. But then what happens when you want to adjust a delay, will it also send messages? Im a complete noob when it comes to midi, but I am trying to grasp it. Will these kind of knobs that turn infinitely be able to send 0-127 since there is no ends?

.... I also use it to control amp parameters in my Helix patches. Really handy.

you have captured my interest.

So maybe block(s) that could be placed and edited for external control configuration only and not really affect the audio.

Could be handy for external MIDI preamps and effects units, as well as software transport control.

This type of control block functionality could maybe be further leveraged in the Helix editor (when it materializes) to control older MIDI gear that did not have software editors.

FYI, other USB MIDI controllers have knobs that spin continuously.

Anyway, I think I've drifted into Helix utopia philosophy now. I do appreciate it for everything that it actually currently does. Even if I do think those 6 little knobs are begging to be MIDI transport controllers ;)

Hey roscoe5, tell me a bit about how you use Amplitube and Helix together. I'm a big Amplitube fan, it's what I currently play through 95% of the time, but the idea of using it live (really, of setting up, dealing with, and counting on a computer in that context) put me off, so I'm waiting on a Helix.

- Are you playing live, or is this studio/home only?

- What sort of computer setup?

- Are you connecting the computer to a Helix effects return?

- How would you compare the sounds and feel of Helix to Amplitube? I can't stop worrying that I won't like it as much as AT, which I love, and it's so much money for me (not a pro any more).

The Helix is designed to be a floor unit.  Those teeny knobs would be worthless all the way down on the floor.

I use this up on an iPad holder attached to my music or mic stand:

https://global.novationmusic.com/launch/launch-control#

$99 at Musician's friend.  Completely programmable.  I also use it to control amp parameters in my Helix patches.  Really handy.

How do you connect that to your Helix ? Do you also use a PC or ? 

Does any of you know of a similar (And cheap) controller, that has continuous knobs, so the value doesnt jump ? 

How do you connect that to your Helix ? Do you also use a PC or ? 

Does any of you know of a similar (And cheap) controller, that has continuous knobs, so the value doesnt jump ? 

I have the Helix and this controller plugged into the PC and I use a piece of software that routes the MIDI from one device to the other

http://www.midiox.com/

Hey roscoe5, tell me a bit about how you use Amplitube and Helix together. I'm a big Amplitube fan, it's what I currently play through 95% of the time, but the idea of using it live (really, of setting up, dealing with, and counting on a computer in that context) put me off, so I'm waiting on a Helix.

- Are you playing live, or is this studio/home only? 

- What sort of computer setup?

- Are you connecting the computer to a Helix effects return?

- How would you compare the sounds and feel of Helix to Amplitube? I can't stop worrying that I won't like it as much as AT, which I love, and it's so much money for me (not a pro any more).

1. I've only tested it my home studio and once with the band in rehearsal.  Working up the courage to take it out on a gig as it puts me at the mercy of Windows PC stability.  I will set up similar corresponding Helix only patches as backup.

2. My portable rig is a Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet w/ detachable keyboard with Windows 10 Intel i5 and 8GB RAM (will mount on a mic stand tablet holder). My home recording rig is an Alienware X51 R2 Windows 10, Intel i7, 16GB RAM.

3. The only connection between Helix and computer is the USB cable.  It passes audio and MIDI control.  All other connections for guitar, powered speakers (JBL EON 515XT), headphones, etc. are on the Helix.  I am using blank Helix templates/patches with the Helix output set to USB 5/6 and the AT4 input set to Helix Input 5/6.  This passes only the AT4 USB tone only.  You will still hear your clean guitar signal if you leave it on Multi.  Instructions are in the Helix manual though.

Helix is about the best controller and interface for AT that I have seen. Between the MIDI capabilities and customization of Helix and the MIDI assign and learn functionality of AT, almost anything is possible (except the Helix MIDI assignment to knobs 1-6 apparantly). Presets are super easy, MIDI CC with the 3 Helix expression pedals to AT amp or effects knobs works well, AT effect on/off with Helix footswitches also works.  I had always thought about the AT Stomp IO for AT3, but it was like $800 I believe.  Stomp IO is no longer supported with AT4.  I purchased the IK Pro Duo interface for it's small form factor and MIDI I/O.  But I think Helix is a better 1-USB-cable solution.

4. Over headphones and studio monitors, I still prefer AT4 Mesa amps, Engl, Soldano, and the new AT4 Brit collection to Helix.  There is a nasally quality to the Helix amps and/or cabs I have a hard time getting past (I'm sure the forum arrows will fly at me soon  :ph34r: ).  I don't have a good FRFR setup like L6 L2/3's, Atomic, Mission, Friedman, etc. just the JBL Eon 515XT's. Honestly, it's really hard for me to justify the thousands more when Helix preamps into my Mesa power amps & cabs sounds great, as does AT4 through headphones, studio monitors, and the JBL's.  I have spent a lot of time with AT3 and now AT4 and am really familiar with the sounds and settings.  However, AT with a band I really had to adjust the eq's and cabs a bit to cut through the mix.  The Helix amps and cabs have more edge to them.  

The feel of the newer AT manufacturer certified models and AT4 brit amps is great, but you do have that 64-128 samples or more latency (depending on your PC hardware and settings).  Not sure if it's the Helix hardware, drivers, or both, but Helix has enabled to go to 64ms latency, where I could only really go to 128ms with the IK Pro Duo interface.  The Helix models do have a better feel with near zero latency probably since they are integrated with the hardware. 

Now, one thing that does sound great is the Helix amps (no cabs) to AT4 with cabs only (no amps).  This leads me to believe it is the flavor of the Helix cabs that I, and maybe some others, don't like...at least in a studio setting.  The ability for Helix to load custom cab IR's addresses this.  I have not purchased/tried IR's yet, but there are lots of users that prefer them over the Helix cabs.

If you want to save a bit of $, keep an eye out for open box Helixes on Musicians Friend for $1199.  They come up in batches and go quick.

• Upvote 1

Awesome info roscoe5, thanks a ton. In fact, if you wouldn't mind, I'd suggest you start a new topic, "Helix and Amplitube Integration", and copy your post there. I doubt we're the only two people with both those types of tech on the brain.

FWIW, latency hasn't bothered me with AT on my i7 laptop, using a Focusrite 2i2 or 18i20. I'm not at my rig, don't remember how it's set.

Am I right that Helix doesn't function as a MIDI interface to the computer? If so, that's a shame.

Interesting feedback on AT sounds vs Helix. Thing is, no matter how many times I ask people, and how much I worry, fact is I'm just going to have to see how I *actually* feel about Helix when it gets here. Your hybrid approach is interesting, making it possibly a third option.

What I *really* wish is that you could run AT, Scuffham, and other VSTs in Helix, and/or that IK made something just like Helix but running Windows (and still able to address all those little scribble strip displays...). Orange OPC maybe, except you can't actually buy one, and I couldn't afford a good one anyway. Plus AT doesn't have scribble strips, even on screen, much less showing on a MIDI foot controller that has them, that I also can't afford.

The feel of the newer AT manufacturer certified models and AT4 brit amps is great, but you do have that 64-128 ms or more latency (depending on your PC hardware and settings).  Not sure if it's the Helix hardware, drivers, or both, but Helix has enabled to go to 64ms latency, where I could only really go to 128ms with the IK Pro Duo interface.  The Helix models do have a better feel with near zero latency probably since they are integrated with the hardware.

You mean buffer size in samples not ms, right? Latency would probably be around < 10ms range.

Awesome info roscoe5, thanks a ton. In fact, if you wouldn't mind, I'd suggest you start a new topic, "Helix and Amplitube Integration", and copy your post there. I doubt we're the only two people with both those types of tech on the brain.

I started a thread on Helix and Amplitube almost the first day I got the Helix ;)

http://line6.com/support/topic/18818-helix-and-amplitube/?do=findComment&comment=140718

Am I right that Helix doesn't function as a MIDI interface to the computer? If so, that's a shame.

Helix is an AWESOME USB MIDI controller for Amplitube!!!  One of may favorite things about Helix.  I just cant assign the 6 knobs under the Helix display to be MIDI CC controllers.

What I *really* wish is that you could run AT, Scuffham, and other VSTs in Helix, and/or that IK made something just like Helix but running Windows (and still able to address all those little scribble strip displays...). Orange OPC maybe, except you can't actually buy one, and I couldn't afford a good one anyway. Plus AT doesn't have scribble strips, even on screen, much less showing on a MIDI foot controller that has them, that I also can't afford.

One of my ideas on IdeaScale is that Line 6 create a dev kit for 3rd party developers, manufacturers, etc. to develop content for the Helix.  

I believe amp modelling is where the gaming industry used to be.  All of the amp modelling companies are in silos with their hardware.  I would like to see some cross-platform content from amp manufacturers, VST developers, a 15 year old in his bedroom. etc.  I believe Line 6 currently has the best all-in-one hardware solution with Helix.

http://line6.com/support/topic/14497-helix-ideascale-community-submissions/?p=140653

I just copy/paste the text from the Amplitube MIDI Program Change list to the corresponding Helix patch.  It shows up on the scribble strips.

Interesting feedback on AT sounds vs Helix. Thing is, no matter how many times I ask people, and how much I worry, fact is I'm just going to have to see how I *actually* feel about Helix when it gets here. Your hybrid approach is interesting, making it possibly a third option.

If you get a Helix, most places have a 30 day return policy.  If you don't like the Line 6 Helix stock cabs, be sure to try cab IR's before passing final judgement.

I finally broke down and created one myself for the hell of it (I couldnt bring myself to pay for one from Ownhammer and Redwirez).  The Helix amp models with this IR sound a lot closer to what you and I are probably used to in Amplitube.

http://line6.com/support/topic/19442-free-mesa-recto-sm57-ir-from-a-noob/

Yeah, I will have 30 days to return it, just going to have to see how it feels.

I think some of the IR companies have some freebies you could try.

My completely ignorant never-done-it feeling is that the most important part of what different IRs will get you is EQ, which can be handled more directly with an EQ. The rest is ambiance, which can also be handled more directly w verb(s) and/or delay(s). Then again, I could be totally wrong.

Re a dev kit, as I've posted in another thread...

The third-party amps and stomps universe really could have two levels: Stuff built from the existing components built into Helix, and new components. My guess is that modeling many amps accurately would require custom transformer models at least, unless the existing models have enough flexibility to cover at lot of transformers that are different in the real world. Supporting third-party development on either or ideally both levels would be truly awesome.

I'm much less interested in tone matching than either or both parts of this third-party development fork. One truly awesome thing about Amplitube is having so much gear available that I don't physically have, and would never be able to afford, find, or store. Yes, maybe matching would let us capture tones built using other software, but that's more the Kemper model, I'd rather build sounds using whatever controls are available within Helix itself.

If you look at the vast majority of popular hardware platforms, a huge part of what makes them popular is the third-party software that's available. Say for instance Windows, Linux, Android, iThings, or in music, Kontact, and tons of softsynths. Really, the whole VST ecosystem is this -- its power and usefulness is because it's embraced by the countless devs who make VSTs, and/or programs that run them, much to their and everyone else's benefit.

This is such a no-brainer, I'm kind of amazed it's not How It's Done. Helix's capabilities make it plenty attractive enough for major third-party devs to put the investment into spinning up on it.

(It looked from you linked post like your earlier dev-kit Ideascale idea morphed into tone-matching. I'd vote third-party dev up in a flash, if you point me to it.)

(It looked from you linked post like your earlier dev-kit Ideascale idea morphed into tone-matching. I'd vote third-party dev up in a flash, if you point me to it.)

I combined the dev kit part from the previous tone match morphed idea scale post to the later idea scale post I put up on manufacturer collaboration.  I think the two compliment each other.

http://line6.com/support/topic/14497-helix-ideascale-community-submissions/?p=140836