Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FBV ShortBoard Volume pedal issues

Evorgeloc

When switching between patches, it appears that the volume of the patch I have switched to is at maximum volume until I touch the pedal. Once the pedal is moved (just a tiny amount), the volume is then governed by the pedal position. Obviously this means a patch change during a song brings the new patch in at max volume - I'm playing with a Variax linked via the digital interface cable as opposed to a standard 1/4" jack. Any experiences or ideas anyone? I'm wondering if experimenting with min/max settings on pedal volume via the app. might be an option...

You need to balance patch volume by adjusting the amp parameter labelled volume in each patch and saving, you can save by adjusting the max parameter of the volume pedal in each patch but it's going to be messy and cumbersome , you could also end up altering your tone depending on where the volume pedal is in the chain

If you get your patches close in volume using the amp Volume then the foot pedal will still operate as it does now, so you'll be able to still adjust on the fly, which I'm guessing is what your used to

Thank you GearHead - I'm not convinced, why when I switch to another patch does the patch play at max volume - even though pedal is set very low - then if I move by hand the pedal by a millimetre louder, the patch is immediatly at the correct volume for the pedal. Setting a min/max shouldn't affect this?

Be great if you can tell me I'm wrong and please accept my apologies if you are on the nail here, I just can't see it....

That's the nature of the beast with the Mkii short board. From preset switch to preset. It doesn't take in account of pedal position till you move it. Might change with new fbv3. On the other hand while playing out live I brought my volume down and next song forgot to bring up the volume pedal but volume was there so it kinda saved me by forgetting.

Yeah what cap said

When you save a patch your saving everything including the volume levels

So when you change patch it's reverting to the volume you saved

When you move the expression pedal it sees the new volume and changes

What you need is for your volume pedal to be set to global and not per patch but I don't think the firehawk has this option

You could run a separate volume pedal that wouldn't be controlled by the firehawk

What is the reason for needing the volume pedal? Might help with working out a solution

Thank you MC, having previously used a Spider which didn't have this issue (each patch came in at the volume that the pedal is positioned in), it is a big deal. I happen to have a separate volume pedal - so where should I put it (yes I've left myself wide open :-) The reason I need a volume pedal is the covers bands I play in have a wide range of songs and dynamics so I have to constantly vary my sounds and volume dependent on song and where we are in the song - thank you for taking the time to advise....

Ah ok I see what your trying to do , I'm not entirely sure it's the best way to do things , I mean if your running through a PA and your constantly adjusting your volume you might have it balanced nice on stage but out front you might be disappearing from the mix, but anyhow it obviously works for you that way.

So , you can put your extra volume pedal between your guitar and the firehawk input , and then it will act just like your guitar volume knob, when you turn it down your tone might clean up if it's a distorted tone and that might not be ideal.

You could also try putting the volume pedal in the firehawks fx loop , I don't know if you currently use the loop for any other pedals but you would need to move the loop in the app so it's after the amp (it will probably sound better the further you move it down the chain ) that way you won't lose gain or drive when you lower the volume

• Upvote 1

Glad to help,

Sometimes it's better in the long term to adapt to the gear rather than stubbornly try and force the gear to work how we want, I know I've had to change my approach several times over the last 6 months but the end result has been worth it so far, I've never been happier with my rig

• 4 weeks later...

It seems to me there should be a fix for this. I, too, am using the FBV Shortboard MKII and just bought the Firehawk 1500. I've been using the Spider II HD150 combo amp with the Shortboard. Like Evorgeloc, I play in a cover band and certain songs require patch changes during the song. I can't have the volume suddenly jumping back to full volume in the middle of a patch change and buying a second volume pedal shouldn't be the solution.

I agree gooddr - this is really bugging me - played an awesome gig on Saturday but had the pressure of dealing with volume issues - I just don't need it.

I do find it strange that line 6 let this sort of dialogue go on and don't interject with advice/comment/solution.....

I would also like to hear if Line 6 is working on a solution or has a work around of some sort. It could be a deal breaker for me. I am still within the time frame of being able to return the amp. I hate to do that because it is such a great amp otherwise. I'm sure the FBV 3 works fine but I have a perfectly good Shortboard that is deemed "compatible" per Line 6 with the Firehawk 1500. That being the case, I would hope a patch fix is in the works. I can only assume there are (or will be) many more players having this same problem.

I genuinely don't understand why you can't just set your patch volumes before the gig and save it and leave it. Why do you want to control it with the footpedal?

In my situation I want to avoid messing around with volumes live as much as possible , Im stood right next to my lt3 speaker so how could I know if the volume is right ? I might back it off a bit which might sound good to me , but I might disappear completely from the mix out front

MC, thank you for taking time to respond. With approx 15 patches used per gig, it's not possible to have them all exactly balanced, given the variables of the venue and the other instruments. I need fine adjustment on stage and sometimes I need a little "extra" to stand out. Yes I could and do use the guitar vol control but this then can effect tone (dependent on patch of course). Above all else though, this should not happen - it is an error that Line 6 need to fix. Switching to a patch which will then play at max volume where ever the pedal position is and then as soon as the pedal is touched, it takes control and the pedal position commands the volume makes it unusable, unless you do as I do and switch patch but don't play a note until you have moved the pedal by say a millimetre. Come on line 6, get with this one, either say it will be solved in the FBV III or fix it on the FBV II but don't leave your customers floundering......please

I prefer it the way it is to be honest , for example I have a patch where the expression pedal controls the gain of the tube screamer

I switch to it for a middle 8 picking riff, it's saved in the heel down position (gain at 0) and I can pick away quite cleanly until I shift to a solo and I just need to touch the pedal to kick the gain in

MC, thank you for your comments - I have saved patches with volumes set at low i.e. pedal set to minimum but immediately when I select the patch the volume is at max, whatever the pedal position - this is what I struggle with and speaking frankly, this has to be a malfunction of the software - why when selecting a patch would you have it kick in at maximum volume and then adhere to the pedal once the pedal is moved - certainly not the case on the Spider, Amplifi, Flextone and firehawk effects pedal - this is a 1500 anomaly.

I have a trouble ticket in with tech support. They have suggested a couple of things to try but calibrating the FBV doesn't seem to be the resolution. Still working with them. I will let you know if they actually find a solution.

Here's the latest response from Line 6 tech support:

"The volume will reset itself every time you switch presets for this amp. It really has nothing to do with the Shortboard, more so the features of the amps firmware. This is not something we can change anytime soon, since our customers requested to have this feature available......It will be the same behavior no matter what pedal-board you choose to use."

This tells me the FBV 3 will have the same problem. I replied back that, as one of their customers, I don't see this as a feature I would want to use and that I would like to have the option to choose whether the amp or the volume pedal acts as the master volume when changing presets. As the "Ultimate Stage Amp," it doesn't allow the player to be in full control, the amp is. Very disappointing.

GoodDoc, this is very disappointing and frankly plain wrong - why would musicians request at point of patch change to ensure patch volume is at maximum irrespective of volume pedal position!!!! Come on Line 6, somethings wrong somewhere........please address this.....

And thank you Gooddr for your efforts to challenge this

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, what do you know, latest firmware has solved this problem - All sorted :-) My only gripe is why-o-why don't the Line 6 dudes say, we recognise the problem and we're on to it and should be sorted with the new firmware - save a lot of us trying to help each other and floundering......THE VOLUME PEDAL NOW WORKS AS IT SHOULD - thank you Line 6