Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tablet software to controll POD HD500x

doms_line6

Hi All, I'm looking for a touch friendly interface that can control the POD HD500x from my tablet. I know the Edit software can be used to edit and create tones but not great for controlling the POD on stage. Any ideas of a touch friendly interface for stage performances? Gear Box was great for my PODxt but obviously doesn't support the HD500x but something similar would be nice. Any thoughts?

This is one of those things that truly baffles me when it comes up.

Why in the world would you be fiddling with your presets during a live performance?  Ideally, you have them pretty well dialed in even before rehearsal.  Maybe at rehearsal you need a couple of tweaks to something to mix better with the band.  But by the time you get to the performance everything should be set pretty well.  Maybe a couple of tweaks to the master volume or some adjustment to the Global EQ during sound checks.  But during performance???

If you're not ready by the time the lights go up and the audience is there, you're never going to be ready.  And I can't imagine the band would be too forgiving about you tinkering with your settings mid-song or between songs.  I would think trying to have an edit program on stage is just an invitation to play with the technology rather than perform.

• Upvote 1

HOWEVER

I don't want to use EDIT live. I need to use it pre-live. Last minute changes to the set list that needs patches changed. Hotel rooms.Tour buses. 

And I just don't want to carry a damn computer. 

That's why I learned to use the POD interface.  All I need is a power outlet for a couple of minutes.  Most tour buses and hotel rooms have that.  Heck, I've even done that at a hotel registration desk with an understanding clerk.  Anything more than setlist changes and I'll need my guitar and rig to check them out anyway.

HOWEVER

I don't want to use EDIT live. I need to use it pre-live. Last minute changes to the set list that needs patches changed. Hotel rooms.Tour buses. 

And I just don't want to carry a damn computer. 

how do u power the hd on a tour bus?

batteries?

does the bus supply power sockets?

portable generator?

My father in laws windows tablet (the only option for this, so it seems) is about as heavy as a laptop.

It's not about weight. A folding unit with keyboard is sometimes just too much of a hassle to deal with. 

Tablets and phones are optimized for mobility. 

how do u power the hd on a tour bus?

When I say tour bus, I don't mean a cargo van. I mean more like a home on wheels. So, yes, it has outlets. 

I should learn to use the onboard knobs better.  I doubt I'd use a tablet at a show even it would work. At rehearsal I've considered taking a laptop ( that I already own ) because the POD is on the floor ( not much into getting down on all fours) and in Edit I can click on channel volume, type 70, hit enter and boom, done.  Same for most other settings.

Biggest reason for having something at rehearsal would be when you can't really check your tones in the PA beforehand.  I think I read that the Helix can be managed wirelessly from a tablet.  At $1,500 I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Unless something has changed recently, I don't think the edit program is even out yet for the Helix.

Helix's edit program just recently came out. It needs work, it's a beta, but much better than editing on the device.

You could indirectly control Helix, or the HD for that matter, from a tablet by setting up a remote desktop connection. http://line6.com/support/topic/19535-control-helix-app-from-ipad-or-android-tablet/

Don't know how well this would work for HD Edit, as it's not in the least designed for a touch interface, but I see no reason why it wouldn't technically work. Helix's edit program has a bunch of sliders that would actually work well for a touch interface.