Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix -> Firehawk 1500 - Best Connection Scheme for Live FRFR Purposes?

farrellk

I'm trying to determine the best connection scheme for my Helix to feed the Firehawk 1500 in order to utilize the amp STRICTLY as an FRFR stereo amplifier (i.e., NO Firehawk amps/effects).

After researching in this Forum (and the Firehawk 1500 Forum), I've seen & tried several appealing variations on how to do this. However, it still seems that people are still 'searching' for the best way to marry the Helix with the Firehawk 1500 in an FRFR situation.  Possibilities include:

Scenario 1: Helix 1/4" Stereo Outs -> Firehawk 1500 1/4" FX Stereo Returns, (with an UN-EFFECTED Neutral Patch). This provides a stereo amplified output.

Scenario 2: Helix Stereo XLR Outs -> Firehawk 1500 XLR Monitor Ins (which are controlled by the Monitor Gain Level Control). This provides a better/stronger level stereo amplified output, and is not affected by anything AFTER the Firehawk's Stereo Returns (other than a Global EQ).

Scenario 3: Helix 1/4" Mono Out -> Firehawk 1500 1/4" Guitar In (with an UN-EFFECTED, Neutral Patch) PLUS Helix Stereo XLR Outs -> Firehawk 1500 XLR Monitor Ins (again, controlled by the Monitor Gain Level Control).  This engages use of the Firehawk 1500's mono horn, which apparently is not engaged in Scenario's 1 & 2.

Using Scenario 3 - running the Helix both in Mono (Guitar In) AND in Stereo (Monitor In) - seems to have the most promise, but there is an odd behavior with the Firehawk 1500's Monitor Gain Level Control.  Rotating from 0% to 50% causes the output to actually DECREASE (sounds like a phase cancellation issue between the Guitar In and the Monitor In).  Continuing from 50% to 100% brings the gain back (plenty loud!), presumedly because the XLR Monitor In gain is over-taking the Guitar In gain and making the phase anomalies less noticeable.  I have checked my cables (especially the XLR's), and all are wired correctly to maintain correct phase relationships.

Has anyone with the same gear had a similar experience, or a better connection suggestion?  I'll admit, I've been apprehensive on the whole FRFR thing live (up to this point), but I'm hearing a LOT of promise in getting the Helix amplified with this setup.  The Firehawk 1500 is quickly making me a believer, other than the odd behavior I've cited.

Having my own amp control is essential, because I do not want to just hand-off the XLR outs of my Helix to the FOH/Monitor guys.  I play in many different scenarios and cannot rely on different FOH/Monitor providers for a consistent sound.  Consistency does not exist in that realm for the variety of live gigs I play (corner bar gigs where we hire the sound company, to Festivals where sound is provided and there's a 15-minute changeover between bands).

• Upvote 1