Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix -> Firehawk 1500 - Best Connection Scheme for Live FRFR Purposes?

farrellk

I'm trying to determine the best connection scheme for my Helix to feed the Firehawk 1500 in order to utilize the amp STRICTLYas an FRFR stereo amplifier (i.e., NO Firehawk amps/effects).

After researching in this Forum (and the Firehawk 1500 Forum), I've seen & tried several appealing variations on how to do this. However, it still seems that people are still 'searching' for the best way to marry the Helix with the Firehawk 1500 in an FRFR situation.  Possibilities include:

Scenario 1: Helix 1/4" Stereo Outs -> Firehawk 1500 1/4" FX Stereo Returns, (with an UN-EFFECTED Neutral Patch). This provides a stereo amplified output.

Scenario 2: Helix Stereo XLR Outs -> Firehawk 1500 XLR Monitor Ins (which are controlled by the Monitor Gain Level Control). This provides a better/stronger level stereo amplified output, and is not affected by anything AFTER the Firehawk's Stereo Returns (other than a Global EQ).

Scenario 3: Helix 1/4" Mono Out -> Firehawk 1500 1/4" Guitar In (with an UN-EFFECTED, Neutral Patch) PLUS Helix Stereo XLR Outs -> Firehawk 1500 XLR Monitor Ins (again, controlled by the Monitor Gain Level Control).  This engages use of the Firehawk 1500's mono horn, which apparently is not engaged in Scenario's 1 & 2.

Using Scenario 3 - running the Helix both in Mono (Guitar In) AND in Stereo (Monitor In) - seems to have the most promise, but there is an odd behavior with the Firehawk 1500's Monitor Gain Level Control.  Rotating from 0% to 50% causes the output to actually DECREASE (sounds like a phase cancellation issue between the Guitar In and the Monitor In).  Continuing from 50% to 100% brings the gain back (plenty loud!), presumedly because the XLR Monitor In gain is over-taking the Guitar In gain and making the phase anomalies less noticeable.  I have checked my cables (especially the XLR's), and all are wired correctly to maintain correct phase relationships.

Has anyone with the same gear had a similar experience, or a better connection suggestion?  I'll admit, I've been apprehensive on the whole FRFR thing live (up to this point), but I'm hearing a LOT of promise in getting the Helix amplified with this setup.  The Firehawk 1500 is quickly making me a believer, other than the odd behavior I've cited.

Having my own amp control is essential, because I do not want to just hand-off the XLR outs of my Helix to the FOH/Monitor guys.  I play in many different scenarios and cannot rely on different FOH/Monitor providers for a consistent sound.  Consistency does not exist in that realm for the variety of live gigs I play (corner bar gigs where we hire the sound company, to Festivals where sound is provided and there's a 15-minute changeover between bands).

A lot of fun can be had with a routing where you create a dry send right after the amp/ cab into the guitar in and a stereo send with 100% wet effects into the stereo monitor in.

Feeding the same signal into the guitar in and into the stereo in is dangerous in the sense of phasing issues and will probably not always work.

The stereo input goes to the stereo system. If only the left side is plugged in it goes to the mono (center) system. The guitar in always go the the center system and the internal stereo effects always go to the stereo system.

A lot of fun can be had with a routing where you create a dry send right after the amp/ cab into the guitar in and a stereo send with 100% wet effects into the stereo monitor in.

Feeding the same signal into the guitar in and into the stereo in is dangerous in the sense of phasing issues and will probably not always work.

The stereo input goes to the stereo system. If only the left side is plugged in it goes to the mono (center) system. The guitar in always go the the center system and the internal stereo effects always go to the stereo system.

This is a fantastic suggestion - and helps me to understand just how the 1500's speaker configuration works. Wet-Dry-Wet, with the Helix dry amplifier fed right up the middle of the 1500, and the Helix stereo effects going to the Monitor left-right inputs. Seems to be right in line with how the Firehawk 1500 front-end would behave if I was not using the Helix.  I was on the Helix-as-stereo-device wavelength, but now I'm really anxious to try this configuration out.

And yes - those phasing issues you mention were prevalent in my Scenario 3 configuration experiment cited in my original post.

I love your suggestion - and am thinking I may have seen a Wet-Dry-Wet Template already in the Helix that could be utilized as a starting point for your suggested connection method.  Thank-you for helping to get my synapses firing in how to best utilize the two pieces of gear!

One additional question, though: Will the 1500's L/R XLR Outs carry the Dry Amp Helix Signal that I feed into the Guitar In on the Firehawk 1500?  Or will they only carry what is being amplified by the 1500's L-R stereo coax speakers?  I plan on using the XLR Outs on the Firehawk to feed everything to FOH.  Or is there a different possibility?

• Upvote 1

I also had some of the phasing cancellation issues; but that is to be expected! Feed a mono summed signal with a stereo of same thing, weirdness happens.

I am going to test this other idea today; dry after amp model helix send to guitar in blank patch in fh1500, and wet stereo post fx to fh1500 monitor in. Is that second send, the 100% wet fx; is that the main l/r helix out? Or some parallel routing? Wasn't precisely sure.

I might be asking a bunch of questions on how to make it happen! Perfect timing with the Helix editor, eh?

Cheers!

One additional question, though: Will the 1500's L/R XLR Outs carry the Dry Amp Helix Signal that I feed into the Guitar In on the Firehawk 1500? Or will they only carry what is being amplified by the 1500's L-R stereo coax speakers? I plan on using the XLR Outs on the Firehawk to feed everything to FOH. Or is there a different possibility?

With the original firmware, the monitor in gets passed to the XLR out. With the new firmware, the monitor in does not get sent to the XLR out. L6Arne mentioned they would like to eventually do a firmware update to allow that choice to be toggled.

For now, I am still on the original firmware for that reason..

I believe the guitar in will always get sent to the XLR out regardless of blank patch or otherwise. Same for the fx loop; so you could use that for the wet/stereo helix send if you also wanted to use the monitor in function with the new firmware, IE, monitor mix back from PA or something.

With the original firmware, the monitor in gets passed to the XLR out. With the new firmware, the monitor in does not get sent to the XLR out. L6Arne mentioned they would like to eventually do a firmware update to allow that choice to be toggled.

For now, I am still on the original firmware for that reason..

I believe the guitar in will always get sent to the XLR out regardless of blank patch or otherwise. Same for the fx loop; so you could use that for the wet/stereo helix send if you also wanted to use the monitor in function with the new firmware, IE, monitor mix back from PA or something.

That last part sounds a bit messy. I'm more inclined to do as you have done - revert to the original firmware until such time that the Monitor In gets sent to XLR Out. I did not know that about the new firmware - thanks for the tip ColonelForbin!

I am going to test this other idea today; dry after amp model helix send to guitar in blank patch in fh1500, and wet stereo post fx to fh1500 monitor in. Is that second send, the 100% wet fx; is that the main l/r helix out? Or some parallel routing? Wasn't precisely sure.

I was planning on utilizing the Main L-R Out on the Helix for that send to the FH1500 L-R Monitor In.  I'm sure another send would also do the trick, but then you're stuck going from 1/4" Out on the Helix to XLR in on the FH1500. I'll be experimenting for sure!

I am thinking I may have seen a Wet-Dry-Wet Template already in the Helix that could be utilized as a starting point

I tested that template patch and it works great! I lowered the send level to -12db, there may be an easier way to set that in Helix as instrument level instead of line level.

Anyway, balance the fx send guitar in level with the stereo monitor in and it sounds awesome!! No phasing or cancellation this time :)

I tested that template patch and it works great! I lowered the send level to -12db, there may be an easier way to set that in Helix as instrument level instead of line level.

Anyway, balance the fx send guitar in level with the stereo monitor in and it sounds awesome!! No phasing or cancellation this time :)

Great news! I can't wait to try it this weekend (gig tonight).  I can't recall if the Send Level is adjustable between Line/Instrument in Global Settings, but I suspect it is.

Can the "buffered" out of the helix rack work for the firehawk 1500 guitar input, rather than use a dry send from helix? Will I be missing some amp tone from helix if I do this, or does that even matter this way? Confused on why the send versus the buffered output - unless it's because the floor unit doesn't have a buffered output ?

I was planning on utilizing the Main L-R Out on the Helix for that send to the FH1500 L-R Monitor In. I'm sure another send would also do the trick, but then you're stuck going from 1/4" Out on the Helix to XLR in on the FH1500. I'll be experimenting for sure!

I think I will try to set up a recording to compare a looped guitar part through these various output options - curious to see if the FH1500 global EQ impacts the FH1500 XLR out. Record both the Helix XLR outs and the FH1500 XLR out.

I want to record a side-by-side comparison, using a looped guitar part, to comapre the stereo XLR from Helix vs stereo XLR out from FH1500 with the extra cable / send 'wet/dry/wet' setup. It definitely alters the sound coming out of the FH1500 in a noticeable way, since it engages an additional (center horn) speaker system. But I would imagine it also blends those together into the stereo output; which will be interesting to see how that compares to 'regular stereo'!

In that sense, even though the FH1500 is acting primarily as powered monitor - when you add that extra 1/4" send to the center system, you are then creating a new mix that will get summed to 'regular stereo' going out the XLR. You could assign that 1/4" amp model send to a gain boost/cut FS, or to an expression pedal. That would allow you to control how much 'dry' gets mixed in, and you could use that as part of your performance. Pull forward in the mix, or back off. Or as a dry amp model lead boost, just to cut through. Some cool options for that extra send!

I don't think the FH1500 speaker modes (wall, free, floor) will impact the XLR out from the FH; I don't know - will check that too.

Can the "buffered" out of the helix rack work for the firehawk 1500 guitar input, rather than use a dry send from helix? Will I be missing some amp tone from helix if I do this, or does that even matter this way? Confused on why the send versus the buffered output - unless it's because the floor unit doesn't have a buffered output ?

I played around with this dry amp send yesterday, and finally got some decent results!

For a place to start, I used the template that is on Helix - something like "wet/dry/wet frfr"

That send needs to be instrument level though; I think there is a setting in Helix, I just did it manually and reduced the send to -12db. Connect 1/4" cable from Helix send 1 to FH1500 guitar in, on a blank patch; XLR from Helix to FH1500 monitor/xlr in.

The way that template has it routed, the (mono) send splits off after the amp/cab model, before the reverb and delays. So I turned the monitor in all the way down to start, turned up FH1500 about 1/2 way, then used the app to bring up the guitar in channel volume - the post amp model 'dry' send. Got that to a decent level. Then turned up the monitor in on FH1500 until the 'wet' fx were audible, and played / tweaked for a bit with different balances.

It certainly colors the sound to have two overlapped amp model tones, but it doesn't seem to do the phase cancelling thing that just connected to the Helix 1/4" mono/L out did. I think they intentionally panned out the send; it seems to specifically only route a left channel or something; that likely helps to not double / sum the stereo to mono.

Definitely worthy of more exploration! In the short term I might set up my patches to use the 3rd expression pedal to control that send; been trying to figure out what to do with two external exp - onboard Helix exp 1 becomes toe switch wah; exp 2 dedicated master volume pedal; I guess making exp 3 the 'dry amp model' send control makes sense.

I played around with this dry amp send yesterday, and finally got some decent results!

For a place to start, I used the template that is on Helix - something like "wet/dry/wet frfr"

That send needs to be instrument level though; I think there is a setting in Helix, I just did it manually and reduced the send to -12db. Connect 1/4" cable from Helix send 1 to FH1500 guitar in, on a blank patch; XLR from Helix to FH1500 monitor/xlr in.

The way that template has it routed, the (mono) send splits off after the amp/cab model, before the reverb and delays. So I turned the monitor in all the way down to start, turned up FH1500 about 1/2 way, then used the app to bring up the guitar in channel volume - the post amp model 'dry' send. Got that to a decent level. Then turned up the monitor in on FH1500 until the 'wet' fx were audible, and played / tweaked for a bit with different balances.

It certainly colors the sound to have two overlapped amp model tones, but it doesn't seem to do the phase cancelling thing that just connected to the Helix 1/4" mono/L out did. I think they intentionally panned out the send; it seems to specifically only route a left channel or something; that likely helps to not double / sum the stereo to mono.

Definitely worthy of more exploration! In the short term I might set up my patches to use the 3rd expression pedal to control that send; been trying to figure out what to do with two external exp - onboard Helix exp 1 becomes toe switch wah; exp 2 dedicated master volume pedal; I guess making exp 3 the 'dry amp model' send control makes sense.

I plan on giving this a go over the weekend.  I've had 5 gigs since the 1st, and have not had time to pursue the useful suggestions and observations in this thread.  I hope to report back after this weekend.

My intention is to also stay away from "Stereo Wide" and just use "Stereo" - as nuances will get lost in the live setting. I'll also have to explore the Floor/Wall/Free placement settings.  My goal is to have the FH be as neutral as possible in the overall sound, and have the Helix shoulder most of the sound duties. That's in case I'm in an environment where I can't bring the FH (e.g., gig where backline is provided).

• Upvote 1

I plan on giving this a go over the weekend.  I've had 5 gigs since the 1st, and have not had time to pursue the useful suggestions and observations in this thread.  I hope to report back after this weekend.

My intention is to also stay away from "Stereo Wide" and just use "Stereo" - as nuances will get lost in the live setting. I'll also have to explore the Floor/Wall/Free placement settings.  My goal is to have the FH be as neutral as possible in the overall sound, and have the Helix shoulder most of the sound duties. That's in case I'm in an environment where I can't bring the FH (e.g., gig where backline is provided).

I spent a bunch of time yesterday with Helix connected to the FH1500. I tried to add that 'dry' (after amp and cab model) fx send to some random patches; some of Glenn DeLaune's, some Customtone, etc. I had a *lot* of trouble figuring out what I was doing wrong, because I did experience a fair bit of sound / phase cancellation with certain level balances. At times I had it dialed in well, and it sounded good - but in general it's not an easy 'plug and go' thing to do that extra send to achieve wet/dry/wet.. I will need to spend more time. I noticed they created a split on the wet/dry/wet template; in most cases I just added a send block with full dry pass through - that may have been the culprit, probably need to fuss with stereo vs mono send, I don't know. I need to learn a bit more about how and why the sound does that cancellation to understand what I'm doing wrong! It does sound fantastic with the wet/dry/wet template - so I know it's possible.

In in the end I gave up on that extra send idea, and just jammed out with the FH1500 on an amp stand, in regular stereo. sounds really, really good! I had a lot of fun with it, I am liking it more and more with Helix.

I spent a bunch of time yesterday with Helix connected to the FH1500. I tried to add that 'dry' (after amp and cab model) fx send to some random patches; some of Glenn DeLaune's, some Customtone, etc. I had a *lot* of trouble figuring out what I was doing wrong, because I did experience a fair bit of sound / phase cancellation with certain level balances. At times I had it dialed in well, and it sounded good - but in general it's not an easy 'plug and go' thing to do that extra send to achieve wet/dry/wet.. I will need to spend more time. I noticed they created a split on the wet/dry/wet template; in most cases I just added a send block with full dry pass through - that may have been the culprit, probably need to fuss with stereo vs mono send, I don't know. I need to learn a bit more about how and why the sound does that cancellation to understand what I'm doing wrong! It does sound fantastic with the wet/dry/wet template - so I know it's possible.

In in the end I gave up on that extra send idea, and just jammed out with the FH1500 on an amp stand, in regular stereo. sounds really, really good! I had a lot of fun with it, I am liking it more and more with Helix.

Well I played with this on Sunday. I wasn't too thrilled, specifically because of the phase cancellations you cited. To explore that W/D/W config further, what I really need to do is work from the ground up. I may even get out my oscilloscope to look at the phase of what's coming out the Main Out's versus the Sends. I'll need to get motivated for that one!

When using just the XLR Ins on the FH, I DID find one anomaly that has me a little worried with the FH1500/Helix marriage. It has to do with the usage of the Mono/Stereo/Stereo Wide setting on the FH1500.  When using a beefcake patch on the Helix (e.g., the Cali Rect), and a blank patch on the FH1500 with volume at >40 (the large volume knob), there's a weird initial clamping of the volume when the setting is on Stereo. It does NOT show up in the other two settings - when on Mono, it sounds great. When in Stereo Wide it sounds great. BUT - when in Stereo, I play a staccato chunk 16th note pattern, and the first note comes through loud and clear, while subsequent notes become audibly squashed - almost like a limiter has kicked in.  It's extremely noticeable, and unusable.  It's not even tamed by adjusting the level knob on the XLR Ins on the FH1500.

VERY weird, and it makes the only two good choices either Mono or Stereo Wide. The XLR Out level on the Helix is set to Line (I hadn't adjusted that to try to temper the clamping).  The overall level difference on the FH1500 (when used strictly as an FRFR via the XLR Ins) using the Stereo setting is definitely lower than the Mono setting, and lower than the Stereo Wide setting.  That weird clamping (maybe 500mS into the sound) on the attack of the signal while in Stereo mode is incredibly distracting.  

A good reminder. I'm pretty sure I had nothing but Wet in the L & R outputs, but I will re-check.

Yeah, L6Arne and others had mentioned before about the 100% wet, but apparently I didn't understand what they were referring to! I will have to revisit this idea. If anyone comes up with some more patches / templates that achieve this, let me know!!

Sounds like I was feeding some amount of dry into the stereo signal. Gives me some ideas for how to use exp pedals. Instead of controlling the dry send with an exp pedal, it makes more sense to control the wet send with exp3 and control the master volume to all sends with exp2, wah stays as exp1..

I am actually quite pleased to know it was just me mucking things up! That can be corrected and adjusted:) Seems like the gear is performing as expected; pysched to give this another try.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

I'm considering either the Mission Gemini 2 or the L6 Firehawk 1500, as I want to keep the guitar cab format.

Helix connectivity to MG2 is a simple stereo connection.

I haven't seen anything published in the FH1500 or Helix manuals on connectivity between the two. Is see DI and Silverhead saying it's great, that FH1500 is the Line 6 FRFR amp for Helix and no other plans for a plain L6 link version of it are being developed. I would think L6 would publish connectivity and may some Helix Templates for FH1500.

I have gone through a couple of forums and videos trying to wrap my head around connectivity between Helix and FH1500.

It seems like it takes 3 cables and some creative Helix patch work to get signal to all FH1500 speakers, including the horn.

At this point, I don't think I care about wet/dry/wet. I would like to just use 1/4" LR stereo connection from Helix to FH1500 and XLR LR to the PA.

I think the horn is a key piece and don't want to lose it. I really don't want to mess with splitting the paths, summing stereo, etc. As I would have to go back through a lot of patches, many of which already have splits. Plus it sounds like levels and phasing may be an issue.

Is the Guitar input of FH1500 possibly stereo? That connection seems to get signal to all speakers.

• Upvote 1

I think the horn is a key piece and don't want to lose it. I really don't want to mess with splitting the paths, summing stereo, etc. As I would have to go back through a lot of patches, many of which already have splits. Plus it sounds like levels and phasing may be an issue.

I have the same question.

• Upvote 1

I have the same question.

• 1 month later...

there's a weird initial clamping of the volume when the setting is on Stereo. It does NOT show up in the other two settings - when on Mono, it sounds great. When in Stereo Wide it sounds great. BUT - when in Stereo, I play a staccato chunk 16th note pattern, and the first note comes through loud and clear, while subsequent notes become audibly squashed - almost like a limiter has kicked in. It's extremely noticeable, and unusable. It's not even tamed by adjusting the level knob on the XLR Ins on the FH1500.

VERY weird, and it makes the only two good choices either Mono or Stereo Wide. The XLR Out level on the Helix is set to Line (I hadn't adjusted that to try to temper the clamping). The overall level difference on the FH1500 (when used strictly as an FRFR via the XLR Ins) using the Stereo setting is definitely lower than the Mono setting, and lower than the Stereo Wide setting. That weird clamping (maybe 500mS into the sound) on the attack of the signal while in Stereo mode is incredibly distracting.

I'm having exactly this problem, running Helix XLR left and right into FH monitor ins. It sounds like everything is hugely compressed, it's unusable as it is, can anyone suggest how I can configure it to sort this problem, I've got a gig coming up this weekend and really need to get it sorted.

• Upvote 1

I'm having exactly this problem, running Helix XLR left and right into FH monitor ins. It sounds like everything is hugely compressed, it's unusable as it is, can anyone suggest how I can configure it to sort this problem, I've got a gig coming up this weekend and really need to get it sorted.

I never was able to sort this out.  Still have the problem, and haven't pursued it further.

It appears L6 has not made an easy Interface between the Helix and FH1500. I came up with a small solution by I've been  criticized by some for it. I found some cheap powered PA speakers available at Costco by a company called ION. They are A 15" & horn selling for $199 each. I found them on "Reverb" for $107 each manufacturer refurbished. I bought 2 for a total of $214 Shipped to my door and though they aren't incredible they are very adequate for small gigging and 1/4 the price of and L2s or L3s.  For Acoustic they are actually killer!! I'm just running my XLR L and R outputs to the Line In on each. Have no phase issues, loud as hell and maybe not the highest fidelity but for the money shut down anything else I've seen/heard.

Worst case if you hate them you're out $214!! Just my 2cents. I've got an Amplifi 150 I tried, Firehawk 1500 as well as a Carver GA250 into 2 Boogie 12" Thiele Cabinets. Sound as good as any of these setups and cost less than one Boogie Cabinet!

• 2 months later...

there's a weird initial clamping of the volume when the setting is on Stereo. It does NOT show up in the other two settings - when on Mono, it sounds great. When in Stereo Wide it sounds great. BUT - when in Stereo, I play a staccato chunk 16th note pattern, and the first note comes through loud and clear, while subsequent notes become audibly squashed - almost like a limiter has kicked in. It's extremely noticeable, and unusable. It's not even tamed by adjusting the level knob on the XLR Ins on the FH1500.

VERY weird, and it makes the only two good choices either Mono or Stereo Wide. The XLR Out level on the Helix is set to Line (I hadn't adjusted that to try to temper the clamping). The overall level difference on the FH1500 (when used strictly as an FRFR via the XLR Ins) using the Stereo setting is definitely lower than the Mono setting, and lower than the Stereo Wide setting. That weird clamping (maybe 500mS into the sound) on the attack of the signal while in Stereo mode is incredibly distracting.

I have just purchased Helix, Firehawk 1500 and JTV variax. I have the same issue of compression or limiting on the monitor inputs. This reduces the overall volume on stage to the extent where I am running at full volume with the apm leaning on its backstand and approx 2m away from me. Surely Line 6 should know the best way to connect the Helix and Firehawk to use all speakers as a pure WDW system. I am quite new to the digital side and fancy setups so maybe I am missing something.

Cheers

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Verlew-

I totally agree with your dilemma!! L6 just doesn't seem to be taking us seriously. I have a been waiting for 10 months for a L6 answer as well as a JTV - Firehawk and or Helix VDI Workbench Interface. No movement or answers at all!!

They got our cash now it's over!!

Exactly same rubbish I have on my own.

Noise as hell, compressend sound, everything goes squeezed.

Problem is L6 does not seems to give a damn, and those guys saying the Helix sounds great with that amp, are not helping for sure.

Thanks a lot for the video!

Wow. I don't have a Helix, but I do have a FH1500. Given the hype around the Helix and the FH1500 I can understand the frustration you guys are experiencing.

A decent manual would have helped, but that video just shows how bad the issue is. Incontrovertible evidence...

Anyone at NAMM who can get an answer off a Line 6 product manager? - who are undoubtedly showing off their latest bit of ephemera...

Verlew,

My fingers are crossed BUT in the words of my dear old Dad--- Don't hold your breath!!! Haven't seen a significant movement by L6 with this issue for close to a year.

I was led to believe this would be addressed a long time ago!! I went as far to directly contacted their product expert and L6 rep in the UK. (He made the Gigging video for the FH 1500). No joy!!!

I hope the effort you have put fourth helps but ?????? Ya ain't seen nothin yet!!

• Upvote 1

I think this is the answer I've been looking for, (although it seems to limit using the FH1500 in STEREO MODE to lower-volume situations):

In Stereo mode the monitor inputs only power the smaller coax speakers, this is why the limiter kicks in early, because you're only using the smaller speakers and you don't want to blow them. Stereo Wide utilizes the center speaker for full power. Mono mode also uses all the speakers for full power.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Will - Line 6 Support

I think this is the answer I've been looking for, (although it seems to limit using the FH1500 in STEREO MODE to lower-volume situations):

In Stereo mode the monitor inputs only power the smaller coax speakers, this is why the limiter kicks in early, because you're only using the smaller speakers and you don't want to blow them. Stereo Wide utilizes the center speaker for full power. Mono mode also uses all the speakers for full power.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Will - Line 6 Support

Yeah, this is something we already knew, and also why the amp sounds miles better when used alone, as it use all speakers plus the top horn.

That limitation makes the amp totally useless for FRFR purpose, above the 35/40% of the volume. Unless you dont go mono, but then dear L6, explain why people should buy a 30Kg amp with a million of speakers, to play mono.

Just make your advertise and your manuals clear (and correct), so next time I don't lose my time and my money. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

PierM is absolutely correct!!

Will is not telling us anything helpful!! He's' simply stating the obvious and what all of us FH 1500 owners already know. What he needs to tell us is that L6 is actively working on the issue and has a firmware update due next week that will fix the problem!!!

So far the "Super Dream Rig" - JTV - HELIX - FIrehawk 1500 is just that - a dream. Nothing uninhibitedly speaks to each other. No clear transparency. JTV/Workbench doesn't speak Helix and Helix doesn't speak Firehawk.

Sure a lot of people knows about this, but just in case,

In the next Helix 2.20 Firmware finally the Variax JTV and Workbench HD will speak with Helix (as usually i was able to do with my old Variax and Workbench with the X3 Live)

So now we need that the Helix and the Firehawk 1500 speak each other more easily than they do now, because actually it seems that there are some issues, maybe this could be possible using the L6 Link of each unit.

Someone with enough knowledge can tell us if is possible in a future a communication of both units using the L6 Link or is impossible?

And finally if in the next Firehawk 1500 / Firehawk FX  Firmware the Variax JTV and Workbench HD are able to speak with the Firehawk 1500 / Firehawk FX, will be great too.

I hope that the guys in Line 6 will lisen to us asap, thanks in advance for it.

Sure a lot of people knows about this, but just in case,

In the next Helix 2.20 Firmware finally the Variax JTV and Workbench HD will speak with Helix (as usually i was able to do with my old Variax and Workbench with the X3 Live)

So now we need that the Helix and the Firehawk 1500 speak each other more easily tan now, because actually it seems that there are some issues, maybe this could be possible using the L6 Link of each unit.

Someone with enough knowledge can tell us if is possible in a future a communication of both units using the L6 Link or is impossible?

And finally if in the next Firehawk 1500 / Firehawk FX Firmware the Variax JTV and Workbench HD are able to speak with the Firehawk 1500 / Firehawk FX, will be great too.

I hope that the guys in Line 6 will lisen to us asap, thanks in advance for it.

The FH1500 has not L6 Links. It has just standard Analogic inputs. That signal is then managed by the internal DSP to be processed and then sent back to speakers. Guitar in go through the Firehawk FX, while Monitor IN are bypassing that stage. Monitor IN needs to be set to 0dB to respect the signal coming from the Helix, but its doomed by hiss. See the video above.

Only way to engage all six speakers, using with the Helix, is to go Wet/Dry/Wet using both Monitor In and Guitar IN on the amp. Which means your Helix preset routing is limited to specific settings (100% wet on the stereo path) to avoid phase cancellation and then you'll probably need extra versions of same presets to work in studio and live. Another issues with this setup is you get the compression hiss killing your signal once you are around 50% of the volume and above, which make the amp useless for high volume purpose.

The only hope I personally have is they can reduce that HISS, so I can at least get proper volume.

At the moment, Helix + FH1500, it's a bedroom setup.

FH1500 alone is a blast. :)