Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix -> Firehawk 1500 - Best Connection Scheme for Live FRFR Purposes?

farrellk

Thanks for your answer PierM,

Yes you are right, the Firehawk 1500 has not L6 Link i forgot about it.

I remember now a post talking about why Line 6 choose build the Firehawk 1500 without the L6 Links and someone of the Line 6 stuff told that was stupid expensive to add the L6 Link for nothing.

I read and saw the video of the HISS problem before i order my Firehawk 1500 that arrives tomorrow and i will use it alone and with the Helix W/D/W  so i hope that the HISS problem will be solve asap to be able to play with all his power.

In the ideascale i asked for a smaller Firehawk 750 or Firehawk 500 to use in bedroom or in smaller places with the Helix, of course without issues between the units, if someone think is a good idea please vote for it.

I know that people asked for just a Firehawk cab (FRFR with the 6 speakers and W/DW) with no FX unit, but taking account that the only different will be $100, i believe that is nice to have the Firehawk FX unit included in the Firehawk cab as backup or just in case you just need or wish an all in one unit. This is my point of view but of course sure not everybody will see it like i do.

Thanks for reading

Only way to engage all six speakers, using with the Helix, is to go Wet/Dry/Wet using both Monitor In and Guitar IN on the amp. 

You can also get the "wet dry wet" setup using the Return in jack (instead of the guitar in) on the FH1500.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the tip   "spikey"  one question about it, taking account your experience

Which option of this two that i write below works better or sound better and have less HISS?

Option 1:  send out of Helix to guitar input of Firehawk 1500 for the dry sound + 1/4 output L&R of Hélix to monitor input L&R of Firehawk 1500 for the wet sound

Option 2: send out of Hélix to return in of Firehawk 1500 for the dry sound + 1/4 output L&R of Hélix to monitor input L&R of Firehawk 1500 for the wet sound

Thanks in advance for your help and if you have more tips or advise will be very welcome

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I'm pretty content with line 6's comment that, in stereo mode the limiter kicks in to suppress the output volume level to protect the stereo speakers hence the squashed sounds. The FH just can't output 129db in stereo mode... More like 105. Sounds good in the living room, but you need to run mono on stage.

• 1 month later...

Was about to order a FH1500 and a helix, but now I'm not so sure :s

I'd rather not have to think about about the wet/dry/wet issues to be honest, I just want to create great tones quickly (isn't that the point?) You go and pay a mozza for this gear and you're telling me it can't just work without messing around with custom config?

I should be able to send out L/R signals to the FH1500 and it should utilise all speakers to give me the full volume stereo sound that's promised from a 1500 watt FRFR system. If it doesn't then I guess it's not what it says it is.

The stereo wide setting in the FH1500 sounds like it might solve the problem without messing around with funky settings. Has anyone tried using stereo wide with helix coming into the return loop (to ensure all speakers are used)?

• 1 month later...

Since there was a recent firmware update, I was wondering if you can now connect the Helix, Kemper or other to the Firehawk monitor ins utilizing all of it's speakers as a FRFR, without having to use a wet/dry/wet configuration?

• 4 weeks later...

I know this sounds nuts because I believe the FH1500 has the capacity to run all 6 speakers directly from a Helix w/o all the special gyrations and wiring hookups!! I do think there should be a Firmware upgrade that could make this happen easily. I firmly believe that there is a market for a Helix Amp/Speaker (with an L6 Link!!) to serve this specific purpose. I'm actually thinking of buying a second FH-1500 to use for this purpose to connect to my Helix. I have to admit that the thought of schlepping around two 65 pound amps makes my brain / back / butt hurt but I really don't want a SoundSource speaker as my principle guitar rig!! Another thought is to try and find someone who can Modify the input circuit of a Firehawk to accept the two line level outputs from a Helix and allow me to use all 6 FH 1500 speakers in a "Stereo" configuration. An additional idea from the "3rd Rock from the sun" would be to purchase an Amplifi 150 (getting pretty cheap now and I already have one!) and use the guitar inputs on each of them. I'm a bit reluctant with this thought as the Amplifi is small and fairly light but doesn't seem built to be terribly "Gig" worthy and I'm not sure that two of them would give me the stage level sound reinforcement I really want.

Open to suggestions!!! 

• 1 year later...

Ended up buying a 2nd FH1500. Got them set up flat w/o any effects and stored a user setting for the Helix on each one. Just stays there. I was going to buy two PowerCab 112 Plus's but the more I thought about it the less I liked the idea. (Got the 2nd FH1500 for less than the price of a PowerCab Plus!!!) Sounds really great- Loud as hell. No limiting or extra compression going into the guitar inputs on the FH1500s. Would love to AB with a pair of PowerCabs and the FH1500s. The opportunity just hasn't presented itself.

If L6 follows it's usual pattern they will be coming out with a PowerCab 212 Plus at which time I might jump on that bandwagon. Till them I'll hire a strong man to move my FH1500s when I'm playing out and need stage volume. (Amp in room and all that!!!)

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:48 AM, thegibster97 said:

Hey I'm reading through this and was wondering if you guys tried doing something with maybe the fx loops of both the helix and the fh. Almost like a 4cm but maybe not using the effects in the fh?

I know this is an old post, but it is what I latched on to long ago as a method for connecting the HX Stomp to the Firehawk 1500.  It surprises me with all of the gyrations that apparently happened in this post there was no real discussion about how well the above type of setup would work.

After trying it, I can't hear any problems with it at all, and since the HX Stomp is largely a baby Helix I can't fathom any reason the Helix couldn't pull it off either.

• 2 weeks later...

I would also like to hear as of today Nov 2018, there is a solution to using all the speakers in a NOT Wet/Dry/wet fashion?

I am considering buying the FH1500 as opposed of the Power Cab (I like the added features). But I really need to be able to use all speakers, specially since I will be pairing it up with a Kemper.

• 3 weeks later...

I run mine in mono with a Helix and it's 

a) Loud

b) Sounds best

The wide stereo setting is a mixture of FRFR and W/D/W and still maintains a  reasonable stereo image with using the big 12 speaker". Normal stereo seems to be a bit limited to the two side coaxial speakers and is most limited in volume. It'll still hurt in a small room, but for gigs I'd go mono on the Firehawk and then stereo through FOH if that's what you setup allows / requires.

• Like 1