Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix beta editor out

audionutmike

saw on TGP that the Helix editor in Beta came out a few mins ago!

http://line6.com/software/

Helix Application v1.10 Public Beta Release Notes
Helix Application 1.10 is a public beta that includes new features, fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations.

IMPORTANT! READ BEFORE INSTALLING ANY NEW SOFTWARE!

1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, etc.
  2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs. If you're running Helix FW 1.06 or 1.06.5, your current Helix application version should be 1.04.
  3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix application and download and install the NEW Helix application (1.10.0), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.08).
  4. If you're using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.
  5. Using the new Line 6 Updater (1.08), update Helix (or Helix Rack) to the newest firmware (1.10.0). If you're using Helix Rack with Helix Control, after Helix Rack has been updated, connect and power on Helix Control, and it will update automatically.
  6. Reset Helix's global settings by holding footswitches 5 and 6 (top row) while booting. For Helix Rack, press and hold knobs 2 and 3 under the big LCD while booting.
  7. Using the new Helix application (1.10.0), restore all user presets and IRs.

New Features

• New Edit View—Click a block and its parameters appear as sliders. Click and drag a block to reorder it. Click and drag a block on a serial path down to move it to a new parallel path
  • New Footswitch Assign View—Click a block and its footswitch assignment parameters appear as sliders. Drag the Footswitch slider to assign a footswitch to the block
  • New Controller Assign View—Click a block and its controller assignment parameters appear as sliders. Drag the Parameter slider to select the parameter you wish to control and drag the Controller Slider to assign a controller to it
  • New Command Center View—Click an Instant (lightning bolt icon) command, footswitch, or expression pedal and from the pull-down menu to the right of the item name, select the desired command type. Scroll down to view parameters for the selected command
  • New Global EQ View—Click the Global EQ tab at the top of the editor window. Click Reset to reset Global EQ. Click the standby icon to the right of the Reset button to turn Global EQ on and off
  • Drag and Drop IRs—With an IR block selected in the Editor pane, drag & drop an IR from the Impulses list at the left directly onto the IR Select editor slider
  • Bypass Block Shortcut—Press B on your computer keyboard to bypass/enable the selected block
  • Clear Block Shortcut—Press Delete or Backspace on your computer keyboard to clear the selected block
  • Full Screen Mode—Mac: Click the green dot in the upper left corner of the Helix Edit window to display everything full screen; Windows: Click the maximize icon in the upper right corner of the Helix Edit window to display everything full screen
  • Resize Window—Drag the lower right corner of the window up, down, left, or right to resize the edit area

Not Yet Implemented

• Customize scribble strip labels and LED colors
  • Copy and paste blocks

Known Issues

• From the Controller Assign tab, any Time or Speed parameters appear as Note Sync
  • Helix Rack and the Helix application can lose connection after turning Helix Control off and on again while importing or exporting a bundle
  • Input > Multi and Input > Variax Volume Knob parameter is missing
  • Graphics for Input > USB 3/4, USB 5/6, and USB 7/8 are missing
  • Removing the last block on a parallel B path displays a floating None icon until a different block is selected
  • Unassigned blocks may appear to have a Footswitch assigned in the editor, but not in the hardware
  • Keyboard shortcuts won't work if an item in the Librarian pane was clicked
  • Importing a previously Exported preset does not use the exported title
  • Footswitch and Controller UI sliders may jitter when moved over the Looper FS or an FS with 8 assignments
  • App does not initially show Controller Assignment for Wah

Fantastic to see the beta editor out! Thank you Line6! The update process was absolutely seamless, first try, no problem. As DI advised earlier, make sure you click the "Beta" box on the downloads page or you will not see the new version of the Helix App Installer. The instructions in the new firmware version for this update are brilliant. It seems every suggestion to make them concise and clear has been implemented. For the first time I have absolutely no questions. Well done and many thanks!

Thanks for the editor but are you serious? It doesn't work offline? It only works when tethered to the unit?  I hope that's a Beta bug to be fixed in the final version.  It's practically useless to me now.  I love editing on the unit but need the desktop version for creating new patches, organizing sets, programming and it doesn't frigging work...  Did i miss something?

PS - not complaining.  Just sucks to be that one guy that wanted a feature...  lol

Thanks for the editor but are you serious? It doesn't work offline? It only works when tethered to the unit?  I hope that's a Beta bug to be fixed in the final version.  It's practically useless to me now.  I love editing on the unit but need the desktop version for creating new patches, organizing sets, programming and it doesn't frigging work...  Did i miss something?

I noticed the same thing and was bummed.  I too like doing editing, creating, and organizing patches away from the unit.  Used to use HD Edit to do that.  Not a huge deal, but still...

If I'm not mistaken the Axe Edit system works the same way.  My buddy who had the Axe FX II and now AX8 said it's the same way.  It has to be connected to the device.  

Not sure why this route was taken, but I guess there's some reasoning behind it.  Hopefully that will change on future versions.  

Still happy to have the editor though!  

First off, thanks Line 6 gang for providing a public beta. Much appreciated.

I installed successfully first time with no problems on a MacBook Pro (late 2011) running El Capitan 10.11.3.

The software looks and runs without problems so far. Its very easy to navigate because it looks just like the hardware U.I. Response time is very fast on my system when editing.

It would be preferred if the Helix screen would update to the currently selected block when I select a block on the editor.

The visuals look very nice for a beta ... I love the stompbox and global EQ graphics. 

I find it much easier and faster to edit my footswitch configuration, as well as block parameters. This is going save me a lot of time.

Are global settings coming? I forgot to check. I did see that block copy and paste is coming, and I hope you can copy and paste between presets and setlists.

The ability to save and archive favorite block presets would be a nice feature.

I can see how some might want to edit "offline" but I personally need to hear how many settings are affecting my tone, so don't need that feature. It might be useful to rearrange setlists and preset orders, though, while riding the bus to Omaha.

• Upvote 1

If I'm not mistaken the Axe Edit system works the same way.  My buddy who had the Axe FX II and now AX8 said it's the same way.  It has to be connected to the device. 

I'm running Axe Edit now and I've never owned one...  Use it to see how some of their patches are built.

The ability to save and archive favorite block presets would be a nice feature.

I do that now by filling up a template preset with a bunch of these blocks and settings. I would never use the template preset as an actual preset - it's just a repository from which to cut and paste.

Thanks for the editor but are you serious? It doesn't work offline? It only works when tethered to the unit? I hope that's a Beta bug to be fixed in the final version. It's practically useless to me now. I love editing on the unit but need the desktop version for creating new patches, organizing sets, programming and it doesn't frigging work... Did i miss something?

I kind of expected this because I remember hearing there won't be an offline mode. Disappointing nonetheless.

A bigger downer might be the almost complete lack of keyboard navigability. Too much depends almost solely on mouse control. Where's the use of arrow keys to change values? Right now the best way is right clicking and entering a value directly. Arrow keys would be easier and potentially quicker. Where's the use of the TAB key to change where the current focus is? The only way to scroll if an effect/amp has too many parameters is by using the mouse wheel or trying desperately to find the almost invisible scroll bar. The colors interfere with the text on certain things, like delays, making it impossible to read. White text on bright green background? Yikes. Just a little feedback for Line 6.

Not good initial impressions for me, as you can tell. It doesn't do a $1500 device justice at the moment. People who say editing on the device itself is easier probably weren't kidding at all. But I'm still glad to have something besides the device itself to edit with, saving both my back and Helix's buttons. So thanks Line 6.

• Upvote 2

Fantastic beta version Line 6. My hands love editing on the Helix but my back loves the desktop version much better. Huge thanks!

Hopefully we'll be able to copy/paste/rename/customize blocks in the future.

Hopefully we'll be able to use the arrow keys to cycle through/preview blocks and parameters similar to what was in the POD HD500x edit. This would save so much more time for jammin!

A bigger downer might be the almost complete lack of keyboard navigability. .....

I noticed this item in the release notes:

- Keyboard shortcuts won't work if an item in the Librarian pane was clicked

I don't know what keyboard shortcuts this refers to but perhaps you can chase this down.

I'm stuck?

I got to the point of updating the FW on Helix to 1.10.0 with the 1.08 Updater. But the Helix Edit Application file download "HELIX_FLOOR_1_10_0_bundle.hxf" just gives me this error and will not run.

"Safari can’t open the file “HELIX_FLOOR_1_10_0_bundle-3.hxf†because no available application can open it."

I'm running 10.10.5 OS X

Suggestions?

I noticed this item in the release notes:

- Keyboard shortcuts won't work if an item in the Librarian pane was clicked

I don't know what keyboard shortcuts this refers to but perhaps you can chase this down.

I noticed this also. I have no clue what that could be referring to. I could sometimes get the arrow keys to work though. For example, I could switch between the editor and global EQ by making sure the focus is on the preset list (there is no indication of where the focus is, however, which is a problem), hitting tab, then the right arrow. From there you'd think hitting the left arrow would switch back to the editor. It doesn't. Or I found you can use the arrow keys, this time left and right works, to switch between home, footswitch assign, controller assign, and command center, after hitting tab five times starting with the focus on the preset list. It currently doesn't make much sense, but it looks like something might be planned for keyboard control. Hope so anyway.

I noticed this also. I have no clue what that could be referring to. I could sometimes get the arrow keys to work though. For example, I could switch between the editor and global EQ by making sure the focus is on the preset list (there is no indication of where the focus is, however, which is a problem), hitting tab, then the right arrow. From there you'd think hitting the left arrow would switch back to the editor. It doesn't. Or I found you can use the arrow keys, this time left and right works, to switch between home, footswitch assign, controller assign, and command center, after hitting tab five times starting with the focus on the preset list. It currently doesn't make much sense, but it looks like something might be planned for keyboard control. Hope so anyway.

I suspect all the keyboard shortcuts just aren't implemented yet, but the Release Notes mention a few (remember to click in the editor panel - these shortcuts don't work if the focus is in the preset/IR librarian panel):

- Bypass Block Shortcut - Press B on your computer keyboard to bypass/enable the selected block

- Clear Block Shortcut - Press Delete or Backspace on your computer keyboard to clear the selected block

Edit: Ah, one more! To "reset" a parameter slider to its default setting use Alt-click (Win), Option-click (Mac)

I'm running Axe Edit now and I've never owned one...  Use it to see how some of their patches are built.

Hmmm, my buddy who has an AX8 says it is tethered for him.  The unit acts as a server and the editor is a client.  

I've never tried it personally.  But agree that untethered would be best for all around!

Where you guys running Mac OS X 10.11.4 able to make the Helix Application connect to the Helix? I keep getting the "Can not connect to device" message.

I was able to make it work on 10.11.3 on another machine and it's a super solid BETA. I really like it.

I love the Editor boyz! Great stuff  :) 

Found a bug. I put the 122 Rotary on path B in stereo. Then, I deleted it, but the effect does not go away even though it no longer shows on the path in both the editor and Helix. I can't get rid of it without rebooting Helix.

Downloaded, updated, zero issues...nice!

The bad....same old low res user interface.....looks nice but can't read a damn thing because it is designed to specs a decade old....no resolution scaling available....so small on my screen it's unusable.....very disappointing....uninstalling.... :( :( :(

• Upvote 1

I do that now by filling up a template preset with a bunch of these blocks and settings. I would never use the template preset as an actual preset - it's just a repository from which to cut and paste.

Good idea for saving block configurations....

Hmmm, my buddy who has an AX8 says it is tethered for him.  The unit acts as a server and the editor is a client.  

I've never tried it personally.  But agree that untethered would be best for all around!

I heard they changed it to tethered in the later versions so AX8 probably is tethered.  I just got it to play with AX patches.

I would also love the Editor to run without the Helix. I really liked studying  others presets for the HD500 in HD edit.

I does look like a server/client setup so maybe a virtual helix server could be released to run on a local machine or even in da cloud. Something like this must exist for the devs :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

Could someone else do a screenshot.  I think I not able to see all of the surface on my Notebook because I can't figure out how to modify any parameters..

post-2274678-0-95995800-1459325416_thumb.jpg

Also, when I installed the software, again I couldn't use the latest version of the updater.  I had to revert back to a previous version 1.04 of the updater to install the latest 1.10.0 firmware.

Any version of the updater past 1.04 thows a graphics OpenGL error and is unusable.  Not sure how much longer I'll be able to keep using the old updater to update, but it's worked for the last two most recent updates still.

• Upvote 1

Hi All

The editor is ok, even in beta it works quite flawlessly, only had a crash once after 1 hour of use,  but to be honest it's just basic stuff,

The only real reason to have an editor is to be able to do what you cant do in the Helix or takes too long to repeat, namely:

• Quickly move patches: Included
  • Move Blocks: Included
  • Copy Paste Blocks: Not included but coming up
  • Copy entire paths: Not Included. For example many of us use the helix for our vocals as well as our guitars. We would lke to be able to set a vocal path and copy/paste throughout our patches. Block by block doesnt cut it by far. In fact the best way woudl be to be able to use a global path in some presets (but not others). http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Copy-PAste-paths/790062-23508 
  • Command centre Copy Paste: Not Included. 
  • Global settings: Not Included (except Global Eq).
  • Execute commands to all patches, for example if you want to add an FX loop on all patches because you want to start using an FX patch. I know this is quite advanced and probably requires some basic programming language. but isnt' the Helix supposed to be professional and World Class?

So as a basic beta this is ok, but the final product should be much more powerful

I don't have an Helix, but just out of curiosity I downloaded this beta release of its Editor, as I did time ago with Axe-Edit and other devices editors, just to have an idea of the possibilities offered by the devices..

first thing I discovered is that it doesn't install on OSes older than Win 7..

then I've read here that the editor doesn't run offline,... I remember that the first Axe-edit release worked also offline, but not the succeeding versions..

the Atomic Amplifire editor also doesn't run offline, etc. etc..

thinking about it I believe that a reason of this decision could be that the editor without the connected device can not know/sense when the DSP dynamic resources limits are reached, and then to prevent the eventual construction of impossible patches, the offline operation is prevented

The editor for the POD HDs needed a connection, too.

Anyway, hurganico, you have interesting hobbies and curiosities ;)

Overall very nice experience working with the editor - could sit upright and play the instrument while listening.

Working with sliders and clicking the blocks directly is very fast compared to knob-turning and navigating in the unit.

A couple of things:

1) The save button provided a surprise by not working the same way as in hardware - it saved immediately, without asking for confirmation, nor the place where to save, overwriting the original preset. This is potentially dangerous. How do you save to another slot anyway?

2) To me the "export" "import" terms seem inverted. When I'm working at a computer, I would expect "importing" the presets from Helix.

But that's down to preference I guess.