Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix beta editor out

audionutmike

So I've been running with the editor for a couple of hours...  this really is the best of both worlds.

1.  I can play and make full use of assigned switches and expression pedal with my feet, and tweak any parameters easily without having to put the guitar down, or bend over or any of that.

2.  Renaming patches is easier with a keyboard, but I guess renaming setlists isn't there yet.  

3.  Switching between pre-sets that might be in different setlists, or just scrolling to a preset within a setlist is nice when looking for a sound and just trying presets.

4.  The editor did disconnect once and I had to start it.. but I noticed if I just unplug the helix it looses connection and I can just plug it back in and it reconnects... soooo  appearently something ELSE is causing the Helix to disconnect and NOT recover.  It happened a couple of times.  When it disconnects on its own, unplugging and re-plugging the Helix has no effect which is why early I suggested a "reconnect" option, but I'm guessing something else is going on.

I sure did find some things I'm going to research on ideascale tho...

1.  When editing on the Helix, it would be nice if the when you moved to the next character you remained at the last letter.  There are other devices I have used that do this, and it makes editing names on the unit involved much faster.

2.  Using the Helix barefooted is asking for trouble.  Again that feature of being able to lock a preset comes up.  I could turn off the touch I guess when I'm not wearing shoes and just use the editor to change parameters I guess.

Overall, I like the editor and hope they get to a final version soon to work out some of the kinks.

Okay....apparently I screwed the pooch.  

I've had a couple of "No Device Connected" messages.  I rebuilt the Factory pre-sets, reimported my stuff.  The librarian still looks exactly the same.  When I click on a preset on the librarian no sliders show up.  Am I missing something ridiculously obvious here?

• FW  1.10
  • Helix Updater:  1.08

Okay....apparently I screwed the pooch.  

I've had a couple of "No Device Connected" messages.  I rebuilt the Factory pre-sets, reimported my stuff.  The librarian still looks exactly the same.  When I click on a preset on the librarian no sliders show up.  Am I missing something ridiculously obvious here?

• FW  1.10
  • Helix Updater:  1.08

Did you install the new Helix app? You have to download and install it to get the editor to actually show up. In order to get it show up in the search function in Downloads tab here, you have you click the little box that says "beta" in the upper right hand corner of the screen before doing the search.

Maybe the editor doesn't like it if you change the DPI settings in the OS from the default? Might be worth a check.

Will give that a look when I get back from my road trip....haven't had any luck so far with the few changes I've tried.....hopefully will be able to find the culprit :)

Did you install the new Helix app? You have to download and install it to get the editor to actually show up. In order to get it show up in the search function in Downloads tab here, you have you click the little box that says "beta" in the upper right hand corner of the screen before doing the search.

Dagnabbit...Now I really feel stupid.  I thought that FW 1.10 covered all of my 1.10's.  That did it.  As always, thank you Phil.

Okay...two minutes in and this thing is exactly what I was hoping for.  I'm sure I will be cussing it a blue streak in a couple of days, but that's part of the learning curve.

Thank you Phil for the assist and thank you L6 for the software!

Has anybody figured out how to do a "save as" to a patch?

Different name, location, without owerwriting the original as the "save" button does without a warning.

There are two ways I've found to do that:

1. Use the device itself to do the save to a different location.

2. Before you start editing the preset, make a copy of it to a different location, using the editor, and edit the copy.

It would be nice to be able to key in the values on the sliders like you can in a DAW or on software plug ins.

I think you could do this in the Pod HD Edit.

If I understand what you are trying to do, you can do this by right clicking on the slider and then typing in the value you want.

• Upvote 1

Helix Application v1.11 Public Beta Release Notes

Helix Application 1.11 is a public beta that includes new fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations.

IMPORTANT! READ BEFORE INSTALLING ANY NEW SOFTWARE!

If you have already updated Helix or Helix Rack’s firmware to 1.10:
  1. Install the 1.11 Public Beta Editor update, available at http://line6.com/software/Make sure the “Beta†box is checked, otherwise you won’t see 1.11.
If you have NOT already updated Helix/Helix Rack’s firmware to 1.10, please follow the instructions below:
  1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, etc.
  2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs. If you’re running Helix FW 1.06 or 1.06.5, your current Helix application version should be 1.04.
  3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix application and download and install the NEW Helix application (1.11), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.08).
  4. If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.
  5. Using the new Line 6 Updater (1.08), update Helix (or Helix Rack) to the newest firmware (1.10.0). If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, after Helix Rack has been updated, connect and power on Helix Control, and it will update automatically.
  6. Reset Helix’s global settings by holding footswitches 5 and 6 (top row) while booting. For Helix Rack, press and hold knobs 2 and 3 under the big LCD while booting.
  7. Using the latest Helix application (1.11), restore all user presets and IRs.
Bug Fixes
  • In some cases, when attempting to reload the same model for the selected Modulation, Delay, or IR block, the Helix application could quit - FIXED
  • When two Cab > Single are added after an amp and a Delay block is added after a Merge > Mixer block, the Helix application could quit - FIXED
  • In some cases, it may be impossible to change a Preamp block’s model if another Preamp, Amp, or Amp+Cab block exists on a different path - FIXED
  • In some cases, it could take several seconds to display parameters when selecting certain effects blocks - FIXED
  • An Impulse Response > 2048-Sample IR block could be added if Helix hardware could not accommodate it - FIXED
  • The Helix application may not initially display Controller Assignment for Wah blocks - FIXED
  • Wah blocks’ Position parameter was incorrectly labeled as “Pedal†- FIXED
  • General stability improvements
  • Other minor bug fixes and optimizations
Other Improvements
  • Split and Merge blocks now appear when rolling over with the mouse, making it easier to move them
Not Yet Implemented
  • Customize scribble strip labels and LED colors
  • Copy and paste blocks
Known Issues
  • Helix Rack and the Helix application can lose connection after turning Helix Control off and on again while importing or exporting a bundle
  • Graphics for Input > USB 3/4, USB 5/6, and USB 7/8 are missing
  • Removing the last block on a parallel B path displays a floating “None†icon until a different block is selected
  • Unassigned blocks may appear to have a Footswitch assigned in the editor, but not in the hardware

There are two ways I've found to do that:

1. Use the device itself to do the save to a different location.

2. Before you start editing the preset, make a copy of it to a different location, using the editor, and edit the copy.

Thanks!

Hopefully they add a button for that and/or a confirmation dialog.

Actually here it seems that two different paradigms are meeting - the device asks before overwriting, but on the computer programs just save usually.

I think because the editor tries to mimic the device, I was expecting the same behaviour.

Thanks!

Hopefully they add a button for that and/or a confirmation dialog.

Actually here it seems that two different paradigms are meeting - the device asks before overwriting, but on the computer programs just save usually.

I think because the editor tries to mimic the device, I was expecting the same behaviour.

Maybe they'll add something like what was in the HD editor, which didn't have any sort of save as either, at least within the confines of the device itself. Instead you could save as to a new file on your computer.

But when working with the device it's easier to just plan a couple steps ahead if you know you're going to be working on a new revision of a patch and start out by copying the original first. That way you can always go back to the original short of a catastrophic Helix failure.

• Upvote 1

Helix Application v1.11 Public Beta Release Notes

Helix Application 1.11 is a public beta that includes new fixes, stability improvements, and optimizations.

IMPORTANT! READ BEFORE INSTALLING ANY NEW SOFTWARE!

If you have already updated Helix or Helix Rack’s firmware to 1.10:
  1. Install the 1.11 Public Beta Editor update, available at http://line6.com/software/Make sure the “Beta†box is checked, otherwise you won’t see 1.11.
If you have NOT already updated Helix/Helix Rack’s firmware to 1.10, please follow the instructions below:
  1. Shut down all Line 6 software as well as any software that streams audio, including, but not limited to: iTunes, Spotify, DAWs, etc.
  2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs. If you’re running Helix FW 1.06 or 1.06.5, your current Helix application version should be 1.04.
  3. Quit the CURRENT EXISTING Helix application and download and install the NEW Helix application (1.11), available here: http://line6.com/software/ This also installs the newest version of Line 6 Updater (1.08).
  4. If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, turn off Helix Control.
  5. Using the new Line 6 Updater (1.08), update Helix (or Helix Rack) to the newest firmware (1.10.0). If you’re using Helix Rack with Helix Control, after Helix Rack has been updated, connect and power on Helix Control, and it will update automatically.
  6. Reset Helix’s global settings by holding footswitches 5 and 6 (top row) while booting. For Helix Rack, press and hold knobs 2 and 3 under the big LCD while booting.
  7. Using the latest Helix application (1.11), restore all user presets and IRs.

@digital Igloo, I notice that the instructions always seem to include the steps to reset the global settings. Is this necessary to load in the updated programming changes? I reset my global settings with this update and I reset my global EQ settings. DUH! Stupid me didn't write down my settings so I had to try to set my global EQ from memory. I'm sad to say this is not the first time I did this. I think I will write down my EQ settings because I know the next time I will do the exact same thing.  :lol: Just wondering if resetting the global settings is absolutely necessary.

Let me first say that I am a big fan of the new editor. I hate to be redundant but I just want to keep this suggestion in the Line6 hopper if at all possible. Please consider implementing dropdown menus for text based parameters. Graphical bars are for numbers, they have no place being used for multiple textual options where you need to see all the choices at once. Adding graphical switches for places there are only two options like on/off would not be a bad idea either. I know you want to keep a consistent interface with other products and someone decided that using all bars would look really nice but it is actually IMHO a big miscalculation on how to implement a good editor interface. A combination of pulldown menus, switches, and graphical bars would be a much better way to go. Given the genius of the scribble strips, cap sensitivity, and all the other unique UI features on the Helix and how well they display useful information it seems like a huge step backwards to ignore the utility of dropdowns and switches in the editor. One of the places the Helix excels is in its user interface and I see no reason the editor should be any different. I added this idea to Ideascale and I hope it is not too soon as I know we are still in beta and the editor is still changing.  Just thought it might help in getting an idea of whether or not people would prefer this approach to all bars.

I have added this to IdeaScale here:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Dropdown-menus-for-text-based-parameters-switches-for-on-off-or/814861-23508

• Upvote 1

Love it so far!  One thing I had missed from the HD editor was the visual of different pedals and amps.  Now it's all there!

Hi, My helix hasn't arrived yet.

When you say "visual of the different pedals and amps" Do you mean on the editor app on your computer you can see a representation of the actual amp or pedal that you are using?

Would you or anyone else be able to post a picture of this. I'm excited if this is the case.

Thanks.

You mean all together? I do'nt think so, just the active one. To show all blocks in Detail in a complex patch probably would require a much bigger screen than must of us own ;)

But another smart feature: In blocks with a lot of parameters as amp+cab, ju can scroll down to reach the cabs parameters. Or you can just click on the cab under the amp ;) Some details are really nice!

showing ver 1.11 in the "About Helix" info box

but the actual Helix Editor screen still shows ver 1.10

I assume I'm good?

I think so, because i assume, that 1.11 is the App and 1.10 the firmware of the device

Let me first say that I am a big fan of the new editor. I hate to be redundant but I just want to keep this suggestion in the Line6 hopper if at all possible. Please consider implementing dropdown menus for text based parameters. Graphical bars are for numbers, they have no place being used for multiple textual options where you need to see all the choices at once. Adding graphical switches for places there are only two options like on/off would not be a bad idea either. I know you want to keep a consistent interface with other products and someone decided that using all bars would look really nice but it is actually IMHO a big miscalculation on how to implement a good editor interface. A combination of pulldown menus, switches, and graphical bars would be a much better way to go. Given the genius of the scribble strips, cap sensitivity, and all the other unique UI features on the Helix and how well they display useful information it seems like a huge step backwards to ignore the utility of dropdowns and switches in the editor. One of the places the Helix excels is in its user interface and I see no reason the editor should be any different. I added this idea to Ideascale and I hope it is not too soon as I know we are still in beta and the editor is still changing.  Just thought it might help in getting an idea of whether or not people would prefer this approach to all bars.

I have added this to IdeaScale here:

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Dropdown-menus-for-text-based-parameters-switches-for-on-off-or/814861-23508

Excellent idea. I find myself stumbling over the non-number sliders often. Voted.

• Upvote 1

The About Helix info displays the current app/editor firmware version. The display in the top left of the app, beside the icon of the Helix device, displays the device firmware version.

In the screenshot posted above they are both accurate. Device firmware 1.10 and app/editor firmware 1.11

The About Helix info displays the current app/editor firmware version. The display in the top left of the app, beside the icon of the Helix device, displays the device firmware version.

In the screenshot posted above they are both accurate. Device firmware 1.10 and app/editor firmware 1.11

Hey Silver will the editor become ever available for off line (non helix connected) use?

No updater needed, as the updater updates the helix itself (hardware) and not the app (software). The Hhelix firmware did'nt change and is still at 1.10. Perhaps it was not the greatest idea from line 6 to call both just "helix" ;)

I've downloaded the 1.11 app (Helix1.11.1Installer.exe), installed it (where it replaced the older app) and thats it. No problems at all.

Loving the editor. I'm diving in deeper than ever now with it. Looking forward to the ability to name scribble strips. I do hope that also adds the ability to operate the foot-switches via the editor rather than just the unit itself for full remote control. Small request would be to give the skin of the editor better contrasting colors. The small dark gray window sliders can be difficult to see against the black background in the command center window frame and elsewhere.