Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Helix DSP underpowered ?

willjrock

Funny that you prefer that one, i could never make valve driver happen.

I do, though the first time I tried it I didn't like it at all.  I like many of the other dist in the Helix, it just seems on the songs/mix that I worked on last that the Valve driver really got me close to what I was hearing in my head.  Though to be fair I am a studio musician, and I do music that covers almost every genre (and many hybrids) So I end up with a lot of different "tones." I have come to use it a few times now with "I would call it success." lol

I do, though the first time I tried it I didn't like it at all.  I like many of the other dist in the Helix, it just seems on the songs/mix that I worked on last that the Valve driver really got me close to what I was hearing in my head.  Though to be fair I am a studio musician, and I do music that covers almost every genre (and many hybrids) So I end up with a lot of different "tones." I have come to use it a few times now with "I would call it success." lol

I need to try it in a mix, which i have neglected to do. I never mix with helix...and bedroom jamming, unless thats your end goal, tells you nearly nothing. I first learned this about 20 years back.

I have a few JCM 800s. One of them in particular is somewhat coveted. Its a 2210 that Ive loaned out for recordings, rented out for recording, or used myself. Its literally on 100s of albums. To hear it, in a room, by itself you would think it sounds like most other 800s. It sounds good but its not a head turner. Total other story in a mix. Its so up front and present sounding. Almost sounds like a different amp. Like theres not a single frequency i would want to change with an EQ. 

So maybe i just didnt allow for a fair evaluation of valve driver, but i will!!

I need to try it in a mix, which i have neglected to do. I never mix with helix...and bedroom jamming, unless thats your end goal, tells you nearly nothing. I first learned this about 20 years back.

I have a few JCM 800s. One of them in particular is somewhat coveted. Its a 2210 that Ive loaned out for recordings, rented out for recording, or used myself. Its literally on 100s of albums. To hear it, in a room, by itself you would think it sounds like most other 800s. It sounds good but its not a head turner. Total other story in a mix. Its so up front and present sounding. Almost sounds like a different amp. Like theres not a single frequency i would want to change with an EQ.

So maybe i just didnt allow for a fair evaluation of valve driver, but i will!!

Oh yea I dialed mine in full mix while ReAmping. I was also doing it with Helix Native, but that really shouldn't matter, as it sounds the same. (I used the Helix Rack for the Frontend, and audio interface)

Definitely under powered for what I need, but that is easily overcome by adding Helix Native (as well as a ton of other cool plugins!) via USB and VST. As a helix owner I picked up Helix Native for just 99.99. I do wish it had more DSP power though, once you add a few cool thing such API eq, la2a comp, and an amp there isn't much left for the back end modulation, delay, and processing wise.

Definitely under powered for what I need, but that is easily overcome by adding Helix Native (as well as a ton of other cool plugins!) via USB and VST. As a helix owner I picked up Helix Native for just 99.99. I do wish it had more DSP power though, once you add a few cool thing such API eq, la2a comp, and an amp there isn't much left for the back end modulation, delay, and processing wise.

If you're using both processors, i.e., both path 1 and 2, you should have plenty of power to run all those things on the Helix hardware... If you're hitting the DSP limit frequently, I'd bet you're not using both processors.

If you're using both processors, i.e., both path 1 and 2, you should have plenty of power to run all those things on the Helix hardware... If you're hitting the DSP limit frequently, I'd bet you're not using both processors.

I use both on just about every patch I create. I think the real issue comes down to how your using it. If your not big into processing gear and atmospheric type sounds then there is plenty of DSP, but if your into WDW with a lot various effects both pre and post then your going to use the DSP up really fast, which is fine becasue if your into that sort of thing (which I am) then you want tons of other processors anyway such eventide 3000/2016, plus multiple lexicon and TC stuff. I cant tell you how pleased I am with the Helix, extremely powerful (especially considering 30 years ago I bought one of the first ADA Mp1s made and ran it through a midi-verb 2!), easy to use, and best of all, every patch I create simply sounds amazing. 

It really is remarkable, I can seriously simulate WDW on a stereo cab, of course the effect is a lot greater through 3 separate cabs, but ultimately everything gets summed to stereo anyway.