Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20d still current?

Hi, Line6 -

Our church has ordered and is loving a pair of L3ts and L3s subs in our Family Life Center.  We had attempted to order an M20d as part of the package back in February, but were told by our Guitar Center rep they were on back order until late March.  We just received word from them again that it would be mid-July.  I have a group wondering if the M20d is being discontinued, or if it really is just behind in production in some way.

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this - PM me if this would better be handled offline somehow.  I could not find a good support email address for a question like this, and I am hoping someone from this Line6 community can steer me in the right direction.  At the end of the day, the system was what we were looking to purchase, moreso than just the speakers...

Thanks for your help!

Dave Berry

San Jose Church of Christ

Jacksonville, FL

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Stagescape ghost town........not sure if you'll get a response from anyone relevant.  My guess is that Yamaha (who purchased Line 6) has all but given on any PA products coming from Line 6/.   There has been zero development on any of the Stagescape products, despite years of ideas being suggested by users.  If you like the M20d as it is, go for it.  If you're looking for something with possible future developement, look elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

The silence is deafening.

To end the story, we found a guy selling one used, and have decided to purchase that way.  It's odd for Yamaha not to comment - I have had excellent conversations with them regarding mixers and PA over the years...

I wonder if the market just didn't exist not the scale they needed to be sustainable...  It's not like the M20d competes with the TF series - 2 different niches...  And there is nothing else out there like this thing from what I can tell (especially for a non-a/v tech trained person to set up and run with excellence...)

The problem was too expensive for customers that needed a simple interface and for many the number of inputs and monitor sends too low. That and the radical User Experience for those who do know what they are doing.

There is a lot of competition these days such as the Behringer X18, X32 or QSC Touchmix 8

Line 6 don't often join in any conversations on this forum either

Some advice from somebody who also bought a bargain used M20d and that is it is a gamble, so test it very thoroughly before accepting it, get the Original Receipt (Line 6 will not accept any claim for warranty or goodwill without this) and if you do go ahead make sure you have access to somebody that is competent with electronics should it not quite work as expected.

The M20d can have intermittent faults with the sockets and I/O and they can appear to work perfectly and then might cut out and come back at random intervals.  This is difficult to test for - a input or output that doesn't work at all is easy to spot, but one that works most of the time and then doesn't is not so easy to spot especially if you only give it a few seconds test. On a single input or monitor send it is a pain, on one of the Mains Outputs at a paid event it can cause significant damage to reputation for the performer/PA provider. When I got mine it all appeared to work fine, but over the last few weeks I have had problems with one side of the headphone socket, Monitor D and some of the Jack inputs all intermittently dropping out. 

This is a problem that has been seen by several users of older machines (search on this Forum for several threads about exactly this problem including user fixes), it is a design/manufacturing root cause (not user fault or wear and tear) and the support ticket response from Line 6 is that I should send it away for diagnosis and repair with their service centre for an unknown period at my cost.

I am wary of the official Line 6 service centre in the UK after I bought an official B Stock Repaired L2t from a dealer: the speaker cut power the moment the Fan tried to start - something that even the most basic of tests should have spotted as it took me only 30 seconds from opening the box.  The dealer resolution for that was to suggest that I would have to send it off to be repaired even though they had sold it to me that day as fully working - fortunately as a distance sale I was able to reject it.

I decided in this case that with no warranty on the M20d to open it up myself and discovered 1) it had been opened before even though it was supposed to have been a "new replacement" for the former owner under warranty (perhaps already repaired by their Service Centre?) 2) it is really quite tight inside and getting to the IO boards is quite involved and 3) a loose connection (not pressed fully down) that when reset appears to perhaps have fixed the problem with the headphone socket.  

Monitor outputs and Jack inputs are still suspect after more extended testing at last nights rehearsal so it might need the full Ground Fault fix to be applied which is going to be interesting even for someone who knows which end of a soldering iron to hold.

Good Luck

I really appreciate the information with your experiences and advice!  I will definitely test it out, and see what I have gotten myself into.

We haven't had the bad experiences with the L3ts or L3s's - so far they work great!

But I will definitely ask for the original receipt, etc...  Cut-outs like that just can't happen that often during a show.

Anyhow...  Thank you again for the detail and for the well wishes!

I had the cut out issue and as much as it pained me to do so, I switched to a different board.  I can't see myself switching to different speakers though the L3t's and L3s's are amazing.  My band is always complimented on our sound, and I have to say on the few occasions when we actually other to do a soundcheck and I stand out front while the other 3 play, I have to agree it's really crisp, clear sound with full bottom end that isn't boomy or muffled just nice and tight.  The only thing I have been toying with regarding the speakers is switching from the L3t's to the L2t's.  Only because the top speaker in the L3t's is dedicated to sub frequencies so I don't think they are doing a heck of a lot once you engage the L3s's and the cross-over is kicking in.  Given that, the L2t's would be smaller and lighter for transport and set up.

well i wondered what happened to the new way of mixing sounds, i have a stagescape m20d and love it but haven't had an update in a long time and now i hear Yamaha has bought them, that sucks, but i guess i should know better, they bring something out then just drop it. so sad well maybe its time to sell my stagescape and l3t speakers before i get stuck with something thats not being produced anymore.  might look at personus now.  i have this felling the line 6 amplify 150 amp is going to go the same way..  might sell that too, lol

Dave,

For what it's worth (and this doesn't answer your question), I've used an md20 with 2 L2T and 2 L2M for 3 years at my church with not a single drop out or other issue.  I HIGHLY recommend following the advice of getting an airport express with the USB > Ethernet cable for networking, as advocated by others on this forum.  For me, the absolute KILLER app is the ability to multi-track record the music, and then tweak it in Logic Pro X afterwords.  I've complied a live album of original songs, and I'm working on volume II for this summer.  Here's a song I just wrote and performed with my band two days ago.  If you have any questions once you've got things up and running, I'd be happy to help. 

Dave Martin

Hi, Line6 -

Our church has ordered and is loving a pair of L3ts and L3s subs in our Family Life Center.  We had attempted to order an M20d as part of the package back in February, but were told by our Guitar Center rep they were on back order until late March.  We just received word from them again that it would be mid-July.  I have a group wondering if the M20d is being discontinued, or if it really is just behind in production in some way.

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this - PM me if this would better be handled offline somehow.  I could not find a good support email address for a question like this, and I am hoping someone from this Line6 community can steer me in the right direction.  At the end of the day, the system was what we were looking to purchase, moreso than just the speakers...

Thanks for your help!

Dave Berry
San Jose Church of Christ
Jacksonville, FL