Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PC/Mac USB editor for Amplifi

1devan

PC/Mac USB Editor for Amplifi:

:) Do any of you guys think that this should be available? :)

:ph34r: Its such a shame that line 6/Yamaha don't seem to be addressing this topic :ph34r:

<_<  The limitations to phones and tablets, for such a great concept seems futile <_<

:lol: And yes I do like emoticons :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We ALL think it should be available.  I'd much rather have my netbook connected to my Amplifi 150 through a USB cable than a bluetooth connection, which is subject to all kinds of interference.   I'm old fashioned, I like wired connections when it comes to things that HAVE to work.

• Upvote 1

The question:
I have a hate relationship with Apple and Android, could you tell me if in the near future that an editor for the Ampifi 30 would be available for the PC? as this would sway me to purchase the new Amplifi 30. The other two units were RTM as they proved unreliable on Bluetooth, but if a Dedicated PC editor were available, then I would definatly be persuaded to purchase the New Amplifi 30 when becomes available in the UK. Please say Yes.... and mean it

The reply I received:
Hi,

thanks for getting in contact with us regarding your feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.
Unfortunately there are no plans for a PC or Mac Editor at the moment.
In order for your feedback to reach the right people, we ask that you submit your comments, ideas, and suggestions to our IdeaScale where ideas are voted on, with commentary, sometimes by the Product Managers themselves:

http://line6.ideascale.com/

We take your feedback very seriously and appreciate the time you take to help us better serve you with better quality products.

My Reply

If you take  our feedback so seriously, then why have we got to write to a separate address to lodge an idea or complaint, a simple solution would be to pass the complaint /idea on to the said department, so don't Bullsh*t, that's just passing the buck.

Best regards
Olaf Schildt
Technical Support
Line 6 Support Europe

So now we all know what to do:

Dont buy the product until a decent dedicated editor is available.

• Like 1

They have a Helix editor. It looks just like the Amplifi iPad editor, except for a touch of difference in the effects chain depiction.

Surely this is an Amplifi editor too. If not, it easily could be.

It ought to be.

Have you tried running it against your Amplifi with a USB cable?

• 2 months later...

So now we all know what to do:

Dont buy the product until a decent dedicated editor is available.

You're right. If you want a PC/Mac based editor, don't buy the AMPLIFi/Firehawk products. Buy a POD HD series or Helix product.

One of the primary distinguishing features of these product lines is wireless mobility vs. fixed wire connectivity. They target two different market segments - mobile vs. wired. That's built into the very heart of the product, by design, and that gap won't be bridged. Users who want wireless connectivity using mobile devices should go with AMPLIFi or Firehawk. Users who want wired connectivity to a PC or Mac should buy a POD HD or Helix. That's the most important distinction and it will remain.

To use a (perhaps poor) analogy, you decide up front whether you want a sports car or a pickup truck. Having bought one you don't expect it to somehow become the other as well.

.... And it's not a trivial task to turn the Helix editor into an AMPLIFi editor - even if it didn't violate the basic design principles of the two product lines. The respective editors share a similar user interface paradigm. That's all that is remotely similar between them; the device designs and operating platforms are completely different.

• Upvote 1

"One of the primary distinguishing features of these product lines is wireless mobility" :P 

That's all fair and square, if the wireless mobility worked but as the forum proves, its not very successful really, and to keep people hanging in anticipation, waiting for a PC/Mac USB editor.... well shame on you line 6.

I guess Marshall had the proper way of doing the "wireless mobility" bit by allowing the user controls built onto  the amp for editing as well as the mobile App 

• 1 month later...

I wholeheartedly agree that Line 6 needs to produce an Amplifi editor for Mac/PC.

I suspect that the Helix editor was designed with both in mine...

Come on Line 6 we could certainly use and editor other than iOS and Android!!!

Cheers

I would love to have a PC editor that connected to the Amplifi with a USB cable. That would make me happier than a pig in a pen....

After several months of owning and using my 75, I realized that while it was a really fun toy, that I'd rather spend the hours on improving my skills and technique than playing with all those tones...just sayin'

Jim

• 2 months later...

shame on me for not coming here before i bought this amp......i'm still considering returning it to Sam Ash. The biggest problem is that i really like it....really good sound for my Acoustic and my Electric. Actually i'm very impressed with the Acoustic tones i've gotten. I get the whole Bluetooth idea...and i like it.....once i'm out an about. But when i'm home in the studio...why would i want to stare at a 2x4 phone screen when i have two 24" monitors for my Audio PC. Agreed......SHAME ON LINE 6.....actually i could care less what their business strategy was, wireless or fixed......what the hell does that have to do with Editing yer Patches ??? To reference Uber Guru's analogy of the Pick-um Up Truck and Sports Car.... i get where yer coming from....but i would never think to use my Sports Car to move a Refrigerator....i would use a Pick-Up......same for Editing ! I also have a Google Chrome Book that is as worthless as a Condom with a Pin Hole.....i guess it isnt ANDROID enough !!!!

shame on me for not coming here before i bought this amp......i'm still considering returning it to Sam Ash. The biggest problem is that i really like it....really good sound for my Acoustic and my Electric. Actually i'm very impressed with the Acoustic tones i've gotten. I get the whole Bluetooth idea...and i like it.....once i'm out an about. But when i'm home in the studio...why would i want to stare at a 2x4 phone screen when i have two 24" monitors for my Audio PC. Agreed......SHAME ON LINE 6.....actually i could care less what their business strategy was, wireless or fixed......what the hell does that have to do with Editing yer Patches ??? To reference Uber Guru's analogy of the Pick-um Up Truck and Sports Car.... i get where yer coming from....but i would never think to use my Sports Car to move a Refrigerator....i would use a Pick-Up......same for Editing ! I also have a Google Chrome Book that is as worthless as a Condom with a Pin Hole.....i guess it isnt ANDROID enough !!!!

Shame on Line 6 for what exactly? For not providing something they never advertised or claimed to do? The whole premise of the AMPLIFi product is the interactivity with mobile devices. Personally, having both the Helix and the AMPLIFi, I much prefer editing with the iOS app via Bluetooth than using my laptop. It's just much more convenient...

The fact of the matter is that for the AMPLIFi's main target demographic, building the iOS and Android functionality just makes sense. Tablet sales surpassed laptop sales in 2015. Overall, they're just much more accessible than PC/laptops right now.

If you want the ability to edit on the amp itself, I suggest you check out the new Spider V amps. They don't have a PC/Mac editor either, but they do allow you access all parameters from the amp itself. You lose the BT streaming capability compared to the AMPLIFi, but the Spiders have other features the AMPLIFi doesn't. The amps and effects are identical in the two series.

Shame on Line 6 for what exactly? For not providing something they never advertised or claimed to do? The whole premise of the AMPLIFi product is the interactivity with mobile devices. Personally, having both the Helix and the AMPLIFi, I much prefer editing with the iOS app via Bluetooth than using my laptop. It's just much more convenient...

The fact of the matter is that for the AMPLIFi's main target demographic, building the iOS and Android functionality just makes sense. Tablet sales surpassed laptop sales in 2015. Overall, they're just much more accessible than PC/laptops right now.

If you want the ability to edit on the amp itself, I suggest you check out the new Spider V amps. They don't have a PC/Mac editor either, but they do allow you access all parameters from the amp itself. You lose the BT streaming capability compared to the AMPLIFi, but the Spiders have other features the AMPLIFi doesn't. The amps and effects are identical in the two series.

i'll say it again....the whole Demographic and Mobility issues not withstanding.....none of this has anything to do with Editing Patches....i'm sure if i had an iOS i would like it too....but i dont .......I've had 2 Flex Tones....which could easily be Edited with Tone Monkey.....very nice feature......very convenient...my understanding is that the Helix does too......as for me i dont have a growth on the side of my face called a Smart Phone ....i'm sitll in the Dark Ages with a Flip...and as for Tablets....dont have one......just the Chrome which is the Ole Ladys and  only for Travel....and it doesnt work either......I have a home studio with PC's....as do a LOT of guys.....and not everybody is rich enough to afford Multiple Devices....again shame on me for not doing my homework better....the Knuckle Knobs at Guitar Center said......oh yea it will work with a PC....i should have know better speaking with a kid half my age  

I saw a post here somewhere that there was a way to run the android app on a PC using an emulator. Can't remember where the post was, but I googled and found the following list of Android emulators for Windows. Note that this does NOT give you a PC editor per se or a wired connection (you still need to connect the PC to the AMpliFi via BT) but it does allow you to run the Android AmpliFi Remote app on a PC screen.

I am not a MAC guy and probably the worst person to ask MAC questions to, but I would be surprised if an Android emulator for MAC was difficult to find.

Like I said, it is not a full Blown PC/MAC editor, but it is a workaround for those who would prefer a larger screen and maybe mouse input rather than taps... I tried both the Android and IOS apps and I would KILL for mouse control as the sliders never stay where I want them to.

http://windowsreport.com/best-android-emulators-windows-10/

Interesting that being listed as a Line 6 Expert and totally supporting their policies goes hand in hand.

Well this is a small sample, so I can't really support that statistically!

I've been considering a Amplifi as a Helix backup in case of failure (I'm not expecting it - but if my/when my Helix eventually goes down, I've got a big problem having sold my amps to fund the thing!).  So reliability and workability of the fill in unit is a consideration.

What I'm seeing here as an observer, is people having problems and an apparent unwillingness if the "inner sanctum Line 6 Experts" to hear them.

The problem seems to be that they bought into the wrong technology?  But surely the problem is that they are having Blue Tooth trouble and want a more stable solution - like a cable? (maybe a misguided solution based on the internal architecture of the device) 

Now I don't have any personal experience of these problems - it might all be a result of total ignorance of blue tooth technology - hence the argument - you bought into the wrong technology.

But if there is a real problem, then Line 6 and its expert supporters (what are experts - a football team, a religion - or are experts employees?) need to rethink their customer service.  If something does not work well, its the manufacturer's problem, and their job is to be really nice to their customers while they do their best to address their failure.

If its totally user error  - then I guess you got to say that nicely and move on - then at least someone like me won't be thinking - better not consider an Amplifi.

• 8 months later...

YOU GUYS ARE TOTALLY MISSING IT. THIS PAPER WEIGHT SAYS ALL OVER THE BOX, AND ALL OVER ITS ADVERTISING EVERYWHERE ELSE, THAT IT IS COMPATIBLE WITH PC. WHAT IT DOESN'T SAY IS THAT THE INTERFACE IS NOT AVAILABLE ON PC, THAT IT HAS TO BE REMOTE CONTROLLED BY A PHONE/TABLET ONLY. WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD WANT TO CONTROL THEIR GUITAR  RIG BY PHONE/TABLET ONLY? I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU GUYS, BUT I GET PHONE CALLS, E-MAILS, TEXTS, AND I DON'T WANT TO TURN ALL THAT OFF EVERY TIME I WANT TO USE MY GUITAR RIG. I DON'T HAVE AN EXTRA SMART PHONE JUST LYING AROUND TO USE THIS TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY. PLUS, ALL MY MUSIC IS ON MY PC, NOT ON MY PHONE. THERE IS SIMPLY NOT ENOUGH ROOM ON A PHONE TO DO ALL OF THIS. AMONG MANY OTHER ISSUES WITH THIS SAD WASTE OF SPACE, THIS THING IS NOT WELL THOUGHT OUT AT ALL. WHAT A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT FROM LINE SIX. I WILL THINK SIX TIMES BEFORE I BUY ANYTHING FROM LINE6 AGAIN. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo,
ich verstehe zwar nicht alle englischen Beiträge hier sofort komplett, aber im Grunde sprechen mir alle hier wohl aus der Seele,
als ich den Amplifi 150 nach dem Kauf auspakte und das erste mal ausprobieren wollte, gleich die erste große Enttäuschung,
ich brauche ein Spielzeug :angry: wie z.Bsp. ein Smartphone oder ein Tablet mit Android oder IOS, ich war entsetzt,
wieso kann ich nicht den Windows - PC nutzen, wie für alle meine andere Hardware auch?

Ich weiß nicht in welcher merkwürdigen Welt die Entwickler des Amplifi aufgewachsen sind, aber ich benutze keine
uneffektiven und unpräzise zu bedienenden Spielzeuge wie Tablet oder Smartphone um technische Aufgaben zu erledigen,
um Hardware zu konfigurieren und zu steuern, dazu sind doch wohl PC's wesentlich besser geeignet.
Gut um mal schnell auf der Bühne noch Kleinigkeiten zu ändern, ist es ja ganz lustig wenn man da mit dem Smartphone oder
Tablet noch ein bisschen herumspielen kann, aber das ist doch nicht geeignet um umfangreichere Aufgaben,
wie das Einstellen, Editieren und Verwalten, der Settings usw. zu bewerkstelligen.
Und ich nehme doch lieber ein Windows Notebook mit auf die Bühne als mich mit einem Tablet oder Smarphone herumzuqälen!

Also Bitte liebe Line6 Menschen entwickelt eine Windows Software mit der man wie in der Amplifi Remote App,
eben nur in brauchbar und effektiv am Windows PC arbeiten kann!

Danke,
LG

Marco Großert

Google Ãœbersetzung/Translation (Deutsch/Englisch):

Hello,
I understand not all English posts here completely, but basically all of me here probably out of the soul,
When I panned the Amplifi 150 after the purchase and tried the first time, the first great disappointment,
I need a toy :angry: like z.Bsp. A smartphone or a tablet with Android or IOS, I was horrified,
Why can not I use the Windows PC, as for all my other hardware also?

I do not know in what strange world the developers of Amplifi grew up, but I do not use any
Ineffective and imprecise to use tools such as tablet or smartphone to do technical tasks,
In order to configure and control hardware, PC's are probably much more suitable.
Good times to quickly change on the stage still small things to change, it is quite funny if one there with the smartphone or
Tablet can still play around a bit, but that is not suitable for more extensive tasks,
Such as setting, editing and managing, settings, and so on.
And I would rather take a Windows notebook on the stage than me with a tablet or Smarphone around!

So please love Line6 people developed a Windows software with the one as in the Amplifi remote app,
Can only work in usable and effective on the Windows PC!

Thank you,
best regards

Marco Grossert

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the sentiments above.  I have Android devices but they just aren't as reliable as my Windows laptop is.  I don't do Apple.  The silence from Line6 on this subject is disturbing.  I love my Amplifi 75 but having to use my phone to get complete use of it's features is unacceptable.  Like someone mentioned above, my music is stored on my laptop, not on my phone.  Please Line6, at least acknowledge the problem and let us know what you plan to do about it.

Thanks,

Mark Brown

• 10 months later...

So the fact that I'm here in a 2 year old post looking for solutions is a pretty bad sign...

I really don't know what's wrong with my head, but I bought the Amplifi 75 AFTER I had the TT for a while, for some reason thinking It's problems wouldn't necessarily translate. BOTH of these units have been NOTHING but frustration from day one. Now here I sit, unable to edit a tone on either of them, because they won't sync with ANYTHING anymore. I mean they've always been buggy as hell; my 75 left me completely stranded once when it bricked itself at a gig and I couldn't get so much as a squeak out of it until I hooked it up to my laptop and reset everything to default. Now, "Device Not Connected" seems to be a permanent affliction. Yeah, yeah, yeah, update everything, blah blah blah. My iPhone is fully updated. My iPad is fully updated. My wife's android is fully updated. The 75 is fully updated, the TT is fully updated, the UPDATER is fully updated- STILL, NOTHING TALKS TO THESE RED AND BLACK PIECES OF JUNK. 

I sat down to try to record one little guitar track tonight and instead spent 2 hours screwing with expensive garbage equipment and ended up just bitching on a forum with no answers. Really unleashed my creative potential. Great work Line6.     #neveragain

Yes!!! The app is such garbage. I also lost about 6 months of usage when an apple iOS update rendered the app unable to connect with the amp. Using touchscreen to make minor tone adjustments is just a nightmare. The irony of all of this is that I wanted a semi-portable and loud Amp to be able to play along to backing tracks and I am now just lugging around my laptop and POD UX2 and using the headphone jack. The amplifi has essentially become a glorified bluetooth speaker, great for parties, but not much else.