Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Into Fender DRRi - Better than PA

CWILD_FR

Hello

I have had my Helix for about 6 weeks now. Overall it is an impressive bit of kit in many ways. I have been using it into my Fender DRRi and generally getting some good sounds in that way - even with the full amp and speaker simulations. Of course this is not how Helix is meant to be used and I am probably limited in doing this. However when I try to go directly into my PA mixer I do not have sa good a result, even after much tweaking and playing with the EQ; it just seems a little cheap and artificial to my ears and does not sit with the backing tracks I use at all. This is true with the presets from GlenDelaune as well (though they sound reasonable through the DRRi, oddly enough)

Given the results we can hear on the web I am assuming that I am either doing something wrong or that my kit is not up to it.

My PA setup is:

Yamaha MG1166CX

ART 415-A speakers

I am going into the Line inputs on the Yamaha (and I have the XLR outputs set to Line).

I am prepared to spend more time tweaking and playing but if anybody has any more hints on this or any comments then I would be happy to hear them. I have been through this forum and tried a few of the EQ settings but so far no luck.

• Upvote 1

One thing I noticed- your Deluxe Reverb amp has IIRC a 12 " speaker with no tweeter or horn. You have adjusted Helix to this amp, with full amp and speaker IRs on. The  PA- 415-A is a 15" speaker with a compression driver, and crossover is at 1800 hz. I would expect them to sound different. Now if you were using an FRFR setup like the Firehawk 1500, and this sounded WAY different than your PA, something might be amiss. 

One thing I noticed- your Deluxe Reverb amp has IIRC a 12 " speaker with no tweeter or horn. You have adjusted Helix to this amp, with full amp and speaker IRs on. The  PA- 415-A is a 15" speaker with a compression driver, and crossover is at 1800 hz. I would expect them to sound different. Now if you were using an FRFR setup like the Firehawk 1500, and this sounded WAY different than your PA, something might be amiss. 

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I actually tried starting from scratch with the PA and from Glen Delaunes patches for Helix with only middling results. I will try again over the weekend and see if I can make a recording as well. Basically I am going to try the extremes of EQ; I begin to suspect that my mixer/speaker chain has a response problem. Given the results that people like Glen Delaune are getting I am sure the sounds I want are in there somewhere.