Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Playing Multiple Instruments With L3t!?!?!?

Hey

Is 1 L3T able to handle my POD HD500 playing all types of electric distorted sounds, a keyboard and my voice at the same time with good tonal quality for each of these instruments?

Will it play the guitar sounds faithfully while acheiving the same thing with my voice at the same time??

I have used a Pod HD500 (for electric guitar) using the L3t rear-panel XLR inputs, and a mic and acoustic guitar into the two channels of the side-panel mixer. Works well. I see no reason why you couldn't add a keyboard into the rear-panel RCA inputs. The only potentially tricky part will be to balance the levels using the L3t mixer for the vocal mic and the output level controls on the HD500 and the keyboard, because the rear-panel inputs have no level control. I think for best results you should set the L3t to use Reference/PA mode.

Thanks silverhead

My major concern is sound quality...I don't want the guitar to sound bad, like too "squeelly", or the voice too unclear...

I own a Bose L1 compact, and it's become way too underpowered for the voice and keyboard, and I wanted to have something practical but that sounded GOOD playing guitar, keyboard and voice at once!

wouldn't it be better if I connecter the HD500 via L6 link to the L3t??? 

I find the sound quality to be excellent - not at all squeely or unclear. Yes, you can connect via L6 Link as well but I find it very loud. More difficult to balance volumes. Having said that, I didn't experiment with the L6 Link too much - I immediately got good results with the XLR outpus and stuck with that.

My general comment: you'll be happy with it.

I can't possibly see how adding more instruments would detract from your guitar tone. Most of the time I use two L3t's either with a L3s or without but either way I am either running everything (drums, bass, two guitars, 3 vocals) or if no sub, 4 vocals, electric guitar and acoustic guitar.  In both of those scenarios the sound is outstanding and loud with plenty of headroom.  If I am just jamming and only need my voice and my guitar I take a single L2t and still get amazing sound quality.  In whatever situation I have used these speakers the guitar tone has never suffered, in fact the guitar tone shines.  I used to own 2 Bose L1 model II both with B2 subs.  I loved the guitar tone of going direct through them but I have to admit the guitar tone is much better through these speakers, and I didn't think that would be possible.  Much thicker and warmer guitar tone.  I'm even finding that with a little EQ work I can get the vocals to be close to as good as they were on the Bose.  I play through  a Roland GR-55, my other guitar player plays through an HD500, both of us are extremely happy with our guitar tones and like I said, these tones are competing for speaker space with drums, bass, vocals and each other.  That includes the fact that my GR-55 is a guitar synth and I sometimes do keyboard sounds through it.  No worries, these speakers will handle all that easily. 

Well, I'm happy to hear that...

My doubt with the guitar tone had to do with the DSP modes...I mean, they say tone is best when in electric guitar mode, in which it emulates a 212 cabinet...but when having that, I think that if I play keyboard or sing, those 2 sounds won't sound right, so I would have to select PA mode, which (in my mind) wouldn't have a good enough guitar tone...

Anyway, I just ordered an L3T today and I'm probably keeping the DT25 as well, unless I get really surprised with the L3T to the point of making me forget about the AMP...we'll see

...I mean, they say tone is best when in electric guitar mode, in which it emulates a 212 cabinet....

That would probably work best if you use your HD500 presets with no cab/mic selection (the Pre rather than Full amp models). In Electric Guitar mode, the L3t will provide the cab. But if your HD500 preset uses a Full amp model, with cab/mic selection, then you want the L3t in PA mode.

• Upvote 2

Can't help you there, I don't have a DT25 or DT50 and I never will have. I don't need it to get great sounds.  I do like the concept of it and I'm sure it sounds great but so does the L3t and L2t.  I've done experiments with my other guitar players HD500 using line 6 link which automatically put the L3t in guitar mode.   If I remember correctly I think it automatically bypassed  the HD500's speaker modelling.  It sounded awesome but it also sounded great using the speaker modelling going into an input on the L3t, so in that respect it's very versatile. 

I think once you get the L3t you'll better be able to decide if you actually need to use both, but if you are determined that you do need both I don't think the L6 link would be the way to go.  Isn't there a direct speaker out on the DT series amps?  That would likely be the better route to go, I have a feeling that if you did try using the L6 link, and it worked, it would be telling the L3t to go into guitar mode all the time unless you spend a bunch of time setting things up so that it doesn't.  I think you would have to do something to every patch to make the L3t stay in PA mode.  If you just use the direct out into an input it will just help make your DT louder, if you even need that.

Once it arrives try all the scenarios and see what's best and hopefully report back, I'd like to hear about your findings.  You may just find that using the HD500's speaker sims through the L3t in PA mode kills.  Maybe not, it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Is it possible to connect a DT25 to an L3T via L6 link? does the L3T recognize its receiving signal from an amp?

Yes but when you do this, the master volume of the HD500 switches off and only the master volume knob of the L3t effects the master volume. This is also very loud and not very practical for an HD500 user. I'd say leave the HD500 for the line input in the back of the speaker. The L6 links are more for linking speakers together than plugging in the HD500, although it can be done.