Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question for the Forum About Wireless Variax

One thing to remember is that, while the VDI uses an Ethernet cable, it's not operating as a lan system using packet protocol. They used it for the 4 pairs of conductors. One pair for power, one pair for control (Variax to pod or helix and back to control the Variax), one pair for digitized mags, and one pair for digitized model/mags. The digital guitar signal is more akin to spdif streaming, not lan packet traffic. Numerous users have tried to use compute lan equipment and found it not to work, so WiFi is not going to work either, as all that is is an rf translation of the lan packet protocol...

Power transmission is out with rf, the Variax battery would be needed to power the guitar end, so you'd still need 3 rf paths for bidirectional control and 2 paths for digitized audio streams, though they may be able to multiplex 2 into 1 transmission. This would be the way to get the same functionality of the VDI via a wireless system. Can it technically be done? Yep, but not cheaply. Not surprised at the $1k likely price range.

Dave

And WiLAN (Wireless Local Area Network for the uninitiated) typically uses I/Q, with

the quadrature (Q-signal) signal phase at 90-degrees with a +0 to -3 degree tolerance range.

Very good Dave.

Taking the wireless packs and sub-planting them into a guitar is not so easy. 

The mod connector (RJ45) is also used for updates through Monkey and Workbench HD,

which would complicate things even more.

Nice idea, but there would be hurdles to be overcome first before something like that would be doable.

• 2 weeks later...

I would be interested.  I think 1K for a VDI wireless is on par with most pro wireless systems today.   If I was gigging (and I will be again soon), it would be a must.  

It would also be great to have one extra audio channel to plug in a headset mic.  Now before you role your eyes... it just needs a body pack you can plug a mini-xlr into.   I always hated having to wear two body packs.

• 3 months later...

I would love to see one of these brought to market. The $1,000 price point is tough, though. I might go in at that price, but I am not sure it would get widespread market acceptance at such a high price point. At $500 to $600, I think it would be a hit. For more than Variax Standard or a Helix LT? That's a tough sell.

I would love to see one of these brought to market. The $1,000 price point is tough, though. I might go in at that price, but I am not sure it would get widespread market acceptance at such a high price point. At $500 to $600, I think it would be a hit. For more than Variax Standard or a Helix LT? That's a tough sell.

Indeed... it's like buying the old Duster that's been rotting in Gramps' driveway for $300, then putting $2K worth of rims and tires on it. ;) I'll pass...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use a low latency BT interface between my ear monitors & studio monitors (which works very well btw), and I've often thought about how liberating a wireless VDI would be. But $999 is hardly worth it for home/studio use. On the other hand, for on-stage use paying gigs would justify the cost.

✔ï¸

• 4 months later...

I seriously doubt we're going to get built in wireless with gen 3 Variax. I'm actually keeping my gen 3 expectations low, so I'm not too disappointed. Any improvements over the JTV, which are pretty good in my opinion, will be welcomed by me. I'd love wireless. I'm not sure how much I'm willing to pay though. Most of my gigs have limited space and wireless would be wasted. 

So now, 2 years later, can we make this happen for sub $500?

... Or will the gen 3 models have built in wireless?

Inquiring minds want to know

The inquiring minds will find out at the exact same time as the completely indifferent minds...with the official press release. Remember, recommended pickup height is "007" stuff around here. 😂

And while they certainly don't invite me to the R&D meetings, I'm gonna go ahead and guess a big fat "no"...

• 2 months later...

The second Line6 goes wireless with their Variax system, I'm throwing my old 4000 bucks rack out the window and getting a Line6 rig instead. I love the Variax guitars, but my set-up (patch switching etc.) is heavily automated via MIDI and wireless. I set it up this way to get rid of the friggin cables and not to be forced to tip-toe on my pedal board every couple of seconds. No way I'm going back to wired set-ups... Don't give a damn about the price point. Heck, I'd even pay good money for any third party solution to this problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I would probably pay something slightly above 500$ for wireless VDI as soon as I started gigging with my Variax.

Honestly, 1000$ seems to steep, in particular because that would make it more expensive than many Variax models themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@Digital_Igloo I do not get it. Why not simply use the G10 or any other relay system for audio separately and just develop a separate wireless solution ONLY for the control communications of the VDI? even better, move to standard MIDI an use one of the existing solutions around (Yamaha, Quiccosound)?

No need to make a do it all device that would not be price appealing. Granted, the VDI interface can do a lot, but I bet that most of the players that demand a wireless solution for VDI and are forced to be tethered, they only look for a way to control the Variax remotely and take benefit of the wonders of added control.

I myself are a user too of a now discontinued Antares Auto-tune for guitar (similar to Variax) whereas I run full Wireless. I use my trusty G10 for audio (models and passive) and use Wireless BTLE MIDI (bidirectional) for the control, changing presets, models, turnings, even firmware upgrades and programing. it works simply flawlessly in conjunction to a MIDI foot controller and the cost was:

$50 for the BTLE MIDI on the guitar (Quiccosound mi.1)

$50 for BTLE MIDI for the foot controller (CME Widi-Bud)

$100 for a USB host to MIDI adaptor (Primova MIDX20)

$150 for the L6 G10 

Total: $350

And even better, Quiccosound is about to release the mi.1 pro version that can connect directly to another unit allowing to spare the USB host and Widi-Bud. So potentially less that $300 and you know what, it can also connect to Android, iOS, MAC, Windows. Imagine Workbench in your phone?

Reach out to me if you want further details and pictures of how I am doing this.

• 3 months later...

I think I paid $350 for my current wireless and it’s simply 1/4” capable. (It’s a Line 6 producer)

I own a Helix and I’m looking at a Variax. But holy hell...no wireless option? I, like many here, am a gigging musician. I don’t do hard wires to my rig. I have to move around. 

The $1k price point is a bit heavy. Even with it all it requires. Line 6 R&D should be able to figure this out for something in the $500-$700 range. 

Frankly, it should have been figured out a LONG time ago. How long has it been since the first Variax left the plant? 

C’mon Line 6 folks...let’s get with it. You claim to serve the professional community. Prove it. 

5 hours ago, tim_lovick said:

I think I paid $350 for my current wireless and it’s simply 1/4” capable. (It’s a Line 6 producer)

I own a Helix and I’m looking at a Variax. But holy hell...no wireless option? I, like many here, am a gigging musician. I don’t do hard wires to my rig. I have to move around. 

The $1k price point is a bit heavy. Even with it all it requires. Line 6 R&D should be able to figure this out for something in the $500-$700 range. 

Frankly, it should have been figured out a LONG time ago. How long has it been since the first Variax left the plant? 

C’mon Line 6 folks...let’s get with it. You claim to serve the professional community. Prove it. 

This ship sailed long ago. It's a business decision, nothing more. There are two hurdles:

1) Only a small percentage of guitar players actually get on stage on front of an audience, thus creating the need for a wireless, and

2) Variax is hardly a household name.

Until a significant percentage of the guitar playing world has one sitting next to their Strat and Tele, there simply won't be enough of a demand for a wireless for them to bother with the expense of developing one and bringing it to market... that might change one day, but till then it's a waste of resources.

8 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

This ship sailed long ago. It's a business decision, nothing more. There are two hurdles:

1) Only a small percentage of guitar players actually get on stage on front of an audience, thus creating the need for a wireless, and

2) Variax is hardly a household name.

Until a significant percentage of the guitar playing world has one sitting next to their Strat and Tele, there simply won't be enough of a demand for a wireless for them to bother with the expense of developing one and bringing it to market... that might change one day, but till then it's a waste of resources.

Agreed. Here is another product you'd think would be out by now. A wireless guitar pack with in ear monitors for those playing the same guitar all the time. 

Jd

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, jakeman19 said:

Agreed. Here is another product you'd think would be out by now. A wireless guitar pack with in ear monitors for those playing the same guitar all the time. 

Jd

I have seen several people mention this sort of thing, but it doesn't seem like it would necessarily be self-evident to combine these products. If you think about the typical locations for an IEM transmitter and a wireless receiver, they're not generally in the same place. Most bands keep their IEM transmitters in a rack near a monitor mixer or breakout box. A guitar wireless receiver would typically be in the guitarist's rig somewhere. I'm sure there are some people who could make it work, but it's probably not enough to justify the R&D and production costs of a combination unit.

I would DEFINITELY pay $500 for wireless VDI, not sure about $1000 - when I need to go wireless I currently get around the issue by setting up custom banks on the Variax that are aligned with my Helix presets/setlists/snapshots so that I can make quick switches using the guitar's toggle switch. BUT, most of those gigs I have sheet music nearby, so I just note those switches on the music - if I had to make the switches from memory it would be bad, my brain would be the weak link, and that's mighty weak indeed. Those Helix presets/setlists/snapshots contain all the same Variax switching so that when I'm connected via VDI it all works the same, just without the manual switching. I also expect this to not get off the ground, but would be delighted if it did.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Old topic but still very relevant.

See this Video for a wireless VDI solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s89gJ0aHNPo

Please support this idea in ideascale so the Helix received an update that allows full native control of the Variax wirelessly, otherwise only using standard MIDI messages.
https://line6.ideascale.com/c/idea/72350/comments/72392