Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Editor "Can not connect to device"

fabbr

Anyone on MacOS 10.11.4 experiencing this? 

I know the Helix is connected and I know that the Mac sees it but the editor (almost always) shows this message.

I opened a ticked with Line6 Support but I figured I would check if anyone else is having this problem and have a workaround. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-01%20at%2012.04.

Oh, yes, I know that screen quite well.  iMac with El Capitan 10.11.4.

I HAVE been able to get the editor up and running several times.  I'd say my success rate is about 50%.

Yesterday I thought I had it licked by using a powered USB hub.  Right after I posted here that that was a solution, it stopped working.

OK so the $64 question is...

Is this a Line 6 issue or a Mac OS issue?

Depends on how you see it. If you develop of software (that's what I do for living) you have to make sure it's compatible with the OS they will be running. MacOS 10.11.3 and Windows 10 runs ok. So ... Line6 have to figure out what's different with 10.11.4 and adapt it's software. 

That's why they have Beta releases of the MacOS out before deploying to the public: To make sure developers like Line6 have time to make their software work. 

We also have to remember that the Editor is BETA ... so ... you know. 

It doesn't depend on how Apple see's it because on their OS update it says "The OS X El Capitan v10.11.4 Update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users."

It doesn't depend on how Apple see's it because on their OS update it says "The OS X El Capitan v10.11.4 Update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users."

Yes you're right. But let's consider that by "improving stability" Apple's change a line of their MacOS code from 0 to 1. It will improve stability for millions of users, but if Line6 was counting on that line to be a 0 they have to change their software. 

There's no way Apple can guarantee that they will update their OS and every single software that worked before will continue to work because they are making changes. 

Ok then, to answer my own question, Line 6 needs to fix their Editing software to play nice with the Mac version of the Helix editor. Another question, since OS makers give out early pre-copies as you say, then how come the Mac version doesn't work again?

Ok then, to answer my own question, Line 6 needs to fix their Editing software to play nice with the Mac version of the Helix editor. Another question, since OS makers give out early pre-copies as you say, then how come the Mac version doesn't work again?

I'm sure they are working on it. That's why their software's BETA.  Let just hope the "fix" come really quick or someone here finds a workaround 

Is this the mssg anyone is referring to?? a1.PNG and if no, does anyone know why this thing would be harassing me? Things *seem* to work normal, but being new to the Helix makes it a little hard to tell....and then i havent tried to run Helix as an interface yet so who knows....

No. I posted an image of the error I'm talking about on the first post. Also you're running a Windows computer. 

No. I posted an image of the error I'm talking about on the first post. Also you're running a Windows computer. 

ok...maybe you put that up after i posted because it wasnt there 5 minutes ago.....but yeah then somebody asked if it was a "mac only" issue so i thought the info might be relevant. 

I believe the issue is with the USB 3 ports on 2012 MacBook Pro Retina models and beyond. These ports do not play well with all USB 2 devices, in particular Helix. I have a older early 2011 MacBook Pro with USB 2.0 ports that is also running 10.11.4, and it works flawlessly for audio, MIDI and Helix app. USB audio and MIDI work ok on my 2012 with USB 3 ports, but not the Helix app.

An easy workaround seems to be to use a higher quality USB 2.0 hub connected to the Mac. I have one plugged into a Belkin Express Dock and then into the Thunderbolt input and it seems to work fine. No problem with latency either.

I suspect the issue is related to timing issues with the USB 3 ports on particular computer models. 

ok...maybe you put that up after i posted because it wasnt there 5 minutes ago.....but yeah then somebody asked if it was a "mac only" issue so i thought the info might be relevant. 

No, I posted the image when I created the topic. Maybe it didn't load for you? I suggest you open a ticket with Line6 Support to see if they can do something about your Windows issue. 

I believe the issue is with the USB 3 ports on 2012 MacBook Pro Retina models and beyond. These ports do not play well with all USB 2 devices, in particular Helix. I have a older early 2011 MacBook Pro with USB 2.0 ports that is also running 10.11.4, and it works flawlessly for audio, MIDI and Helix app. USB audio and MIDI work ok on my 2012 with USB 3 ports, but not the Helix app.

An easy workaround seems to be to use a higher quality USB 2.0 hub connected to the Mac. I have one plugged into a Belkin Express Dock and then into the Thunderbolt input and it seems to work fine. No problem with latency either.

I suspect the issue is related to timing issues with the USB 3 ports on particular computer models. 

I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) and I have this issue 

Also, I tried a USB3 hub I have here, problem persist. :( 

On my iMac iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) it works perfectly. 

Yes, I am connecting Helix to a USB2.0 hub connected to a Belkin Express Dock which connects through Thunderbolt to the computer. So I'm bypassing everything related to the USB3.0 hubs. This seems to work without any problems for USB audio, MIDI, Updater and Helix app. So I really think it's that USB3.0 port that's the problem - causing some timing issue that make Helix think it's loosing the connection.

Note that it's only the Helix app that looses the connection when connected to the USB3.0 port using OSX 10.11.4. USB audio and MIDI now work fine.

So is there anyone else with "only" a USB 2 capable computer that does not get an editor disconnect ? I mean one like mine (Late 2009 iMac) that has no USB 3 ports in it? Backing up the idea that its related to USB 3 capable computers like amsdenj says (no matter if your running USB 2 or not) would help confirm his idea.

I don’t think spending another few hundred bucks is an easy workaround.

USB 3.0 has been around for quite awhile so it’s surprising Line 6 hadn’t accounted for that and used 2.0 instead.

I have an iMac (iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)) which has USB3 and is running 10.11.3 and Helix App works perfectly. 

I'm not quite sure that the problem is USB3 since I have two macs with USB3 and one works and the other one doesn't. 

fabbr, whats different software wise between the two?

iMac is running 10.11.3 the MBP 10.11.4

I'm holding up on updating the iMac because that's the only way to use the Helix Editor for me. (no that it would case it to stop working but I don't want to take a chance)

• 4 months later...

I just received my new Helix board and love it. But, I'm having the USB disconnect problem that seems to be described in this thread.  Was wondering if there is anything new since the April 2016 post on this topic. 

Both my Macs have the issue.  An iMac desktop running 10.11.6 as well as a MacAir laptop, also on 10.11.6  

Same issue plugged directly into USB, or via a USB hub. Sometimes won't connect at all, but usually stays active and connected for minutes then suddenly disconnects.  The pedalboard also gets frozen by this sometimes, and unfreezes when the cable is disconnected from the back of the board. 

Editor version 2.01, Helix firmware 2.01

Thanks in advance

Fabian

I just received my new Helix board and love it. But, I'm having the USB disconnect problem that seems to be described in this thread.  Was wondering if there is anything new since the April 2016 post on this topic. 

Both my Macs have the issue.  An iMac desktop running 10.11.6 as well as a MacAir laptop, also on 10.11.6  

Same issue plugged directly into USB, or via a USB hub. Sometimes won't connect at all, but usually stays active and connected for minutes then suddenly disconnects.  The pedalboard also gets frozen by this sometimes, and unfreezes when the cable is disconnected from the back of the board. 

Editor version 2.01, Helix firmware 2.01

Thanks in advance

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you have a look in this thread and see if there may be a solution there.

http://line6.com/support/topic/19809-helix-mac-driver-100-public-beta-now-available/?do=findComment&comment=159427

This driver was supposed to solve certain audio/USB issues with some Macs. IIRC, I tried it and didn't do anything to fix my problems (MIDI & Re-Amp), so I removed it. I have not experienced the USB disconnect problem though. Mysteriously, the USB re-amp problems which I was having, just vanished after the last FW update. So, apart from my ongoing MIDI fault (I bypassed that with a cheap cable) - all works just fine on my iMac 27" Retina 5K & OSX 10.11.6

Try the driver and see if it helps - you never know, because there are so many spurious errors occurring while hooking up both Macs and Windoze - anything is worth a shot.

Good luck.

Hi Fabian,

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest you have a look in this thread and see if there may be a solution there.

http://line6.com/support/topic/19809-helix-mac-driver-100-public-beta-now-available/?do=findComment&comment=159427

This driver was supposed to solve certain audio/USB issues with some Macs. IIRC, I tried it and didn't do anything to fix my problems (MIDI & Re-Amp), so I removed it. I have not experienced the USB disconnect problem though. Mysteriously, the USB re-amp problems which I was having, just vanished after the last FW update. So, apart from my ongoing MIDI fault (I bypassed that with a cheap cable) - all works just fine on my iMac 27" Retina 5K & OSX 10.11.6

Try the driver and see if it helps - you never know, because there are so many spurious errors occurring while hooking up both Macs and Windoze - anything is worth a shot.

Good luck.

Thanks for the response.  I reviewed that thread and the only thing that resonated was that I should try the "beta" driver that was available to fix "audio" issues.  I had low expectations, but remarkably that seems to have cured my disconnect problems.  I was able to work with editor on both my laptop and desktop.  So far so good.  I haven't explored recording yet or any MIDI stuff, but for now things are looking good! 

Fabian

Thanks for the response.  I reviewed that thread and the only thing that resonated was that I should try the "beta" driver that was available to fix "audio" issues.  I had low expectations, but remarkably that seems to have cured my disconnect problems.  I was able to work with editor on both my laptop and desktop.  So far so good.  I haven't explored recording yet or any MIDI stuff, but for now things are looking good! 

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

Yay! Great news, glad you managed to fix the problem. Now you can get on with the never-ending job of trying out new patches and storing them somewhere safe. Oh yeah, and playing some amazing stuff from this box of tricks.

Have fun.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone updated the APP and had luck with this problem? Mine's still there :(

Im not sure if you guys are still thinking this is a MAC specific issue, but im now seeing this on my PC. Have never had a problem until updating to 2.0 and it is persisting in 2.0.1

Started by me seeing a lot of this screen first.helix%20junk.png

but that screen has since chilled out with the 2.01 update and just skips to the "cannot connect to device" screen.

Closing and reopening the Editor is the fix but sometimes thats 10 times in an hour. Lately once an hour or less.

Well,  i was definitely plugged into a usb 3.0 jack......Only time will tell now.

I havnt had any connection problems for the last 4 or 5 months, and i know helix WAS in a 2.0 jack.....so im betting thats it. 

Appreciate it Amsdenj............ Sorry i missed that.  Youve already mentioned it plenty of times. I think i just did a fly-by on this thread. :)

Im not sure if you guys are still thinking this is a MAC specific issue, but im now seeing this on my PC. Have never had a problem until updating to 2.0 and it is persisting in 2.0.1

Started by me seeing a lot of this screen first.helix%20junk.png

but that screen has since chilled out with the 2.01 update and just skips to the "cannot connect to device" screen.

Closing and reopening the Editor is the fix but sometimes thats 10 times in an hour. Lately once an hour or less.

I had something similar when i tried to change routing in some of fremens presets even with lates firmware and latest editor and drivers

I think it has to do with some usb issue and not enough powerful computer as my laptop have an Intel i5 cpu and only 2 gb memory i havent had the same issue using my studio PC that have an i7 cpu and 32 gb memory i am also am hooked up to that using a powered usb hub instead of a built in usb port.

i have this issue with win10 pc

i cant be sure but i think whenever my pc lags abit. helix editor lollipops itself. i just unplug usb and replug and it works. or reboot works to. it might work for an hour. or all day. weird

As Amsdenj said...i would just drop the 3.0 connection completely if thats where youre plugged in. I had no trouble with mine until i plugged in to the 3.0 jack.

As Amsdenj said...i would just drop the 3.0 connection completely if thats where youre plugged in. I had no trouble with mine until i plugged in to the 3.0 jack.

thanks man . i have like 10 usb ports on the back of this pc. but i hadnt tryed them all (lazy), its going well so far 3 hours in. if it stays on all day ill post results