Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Separate USB Outs for Each Path?

soundog

I am using my Helix sort of like a mixer, with 4 separate instruments on 4 separate paths (1A, 1B, 2A, and 2B). Each path is assigned to mono XLR out, to a PA. Works great.

But, I would love to be able to record each path separately via USB. Is there any way to assign (for example) single-channel USB outs separately to each path? Either dry (at input, preferred) or after fx blocks (at output)? Sort of like:

Path 1A -----> record USB 3

Path 1B ----> record USB 4

Path 2A ----> record USB 5

Path 2B ----> record USB 6

Thanks.

Since each path has a stereo output the output blocks are only assignable in a stereo pair, e.g. USB 3/4. Your DAW however can select and record each side of the stereo pair as a mono track. So you may have to mix your paths so that each output carries a mono signal of the path using one side of the stereo pair. In other words, assign the outputs of both path 1A and 1B to USB 3/4. In the processing blocks of each path pan 1A fully L and 1B fully R. In your DAW select USB 3 for 1A and USB 4 for 1B.

I'm basing this on theory rather then experimentation so it may not work like this, but worth a try.

Thanks, silverhead. Makes sense, and it sounds like that should work. I'll give it a try....

Update: Oh yeah! It works great! Since I used USB 3/4 and USB 5/6 for the outputs, I stuck a Send 3 Out block on each path to use for my PA mono out. My gosh this beast is flexible!

You can actually use this thing as a mult-track mixer AND record the multitracks to DAW via USB. Outrageous.

I am using my Helix sort of like a mixer, with 4 separate instruments on 4 separate paths (1A, 1B, 2A, and 2B). Each path is assigned to mono XLR out, to a PA. Works great.

But, I would love to be able to record each path separately via USB. Is there any way to assign (for example) single-channel USB outs separately to each path? Either dry (at input, preferred) or after fx blocks (at output)? Sort of like:

Path 1A -----> record USB 3

Path 1B ----> record USB 4

Path 2A ----> record USB 5

Path 2B ----> record USB 6

Thanks.

Since each path has a stereo output the output blocks are only assignable in a stereo pair, e.g. USB 3/4. Your DAW however can select and record each side of the stereo pair as a mono track. So you may have to mix your paths so that each output carries a mono signal of the path using one side of the stereo pair. In other words, assign the outputs of both path 1A and 1B to USB 3/4. In the processing blocks of each path pan 1A fully L and 1B fully R. In your DAW select USB 3 for 1A and USB 4 for 1B.

I'm basing this on theory rather then experimentation so it may not work like this, but worth a try.

I think Silverhead has it pretty much right. The bottom of this post has the layout I think will work if you want to skip ahead. Currently on the Helix you can only assign an output block to USB 1/2, USB 3/4, or USB 5/6. You are limited to 3 stereo USB outs, which can also be used as 6 mono outs. The USB 7/8 output is reserved for reamping and is not available as output block destinations (see page 21 in the manual). So if you want to use four separate output paths you will not be able to run 4 separate stereo USB outputs. However, you can run in essence 4 mono USB connections out by simply using the pan control on the output block. You could also run 2 mono and two stereo USB outputs by assigning the first two outputs blocks (1A & 1B) to the same USB connection, for example USB 1/2 and panning them left and right; this will leave you two stereo USB connections (3/4 and 5/6) if you wanted them for your second pair of outputs paths (2A & 2B).

4 Mono Path Instructions

Assign USB 1/2 to path 1A and pan it all the way to the left. Then again, assign USB 1/2 to Path 1B and pan it all the way to the right. Then assign USB 3/4 to path 2A and pan it all the way to the left, and again assign USB 3/4 to path 2B and pan it all the way to the right. You will then have the  USB 5/6 connection left over to stare at admiringly. 

2 Mono & 2 Stereo Path Instructions

Alternatively if you wanted two mono and two stereo paths you could use USB 1/2 for two mono paths (1A and 1B), and then use both USB 3/4 and USB 4/5 for the 2A and 2B output blocks. The difference is you won't be panning the USB 3/4 and USB 5/6 output blocks like you did with the USB 1/2 block.

3 Mono & 1 Stereo Path Instructions

I am sure you have gotten the idea by now from the first two sets of instructions.

Now just set up your DAW as you always do, for instance, with each track receiving consecutive USB inputs. I believe this should work, feel free to correct me ye more experienced Helix and DAW users. So your path setup on the Helix through to the DAW would look like this:

Path 1A -----> Helix Output Block = USB 1/2 (panned 100% left)  --->   DAW Track 1 = USB 1 Input 

Path 1B ---->  Helix Output Block = USB 1/2 (panned 100% right)  --->  DAW Track 2 = USB 2 Input 

Path 2A ----> Helix Output Block = USB 3/4 (panned 100% left)  --->   DAW Track 3 =  USB 3 Input 

Path 2B ----> Helix Output Block = USB 3/4 (panned 100% right)  --->  DAW Track 4 = USB 4 Input 

HonestOpinion, thanks for all the good advice. As I mentioned, I got everything working splendidly. Had to do a bit of Send Out routing trickery, as Helix only allows one Output block, so I was using those up for USB.