Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone matching *sort of*

Onomatopoeia

This might be covered in some ways allready but here we go.

I'm not really trying to exactly replicate somebody's bass tone or anything but if someone knows a simple way of doing that with your POD HD500X and plug in for DAW (Reaper 5) please go ahead!

What i'm trying to do is this: I have I clean bass tone that i'm quite happy with. For distortion I run i parallell signal with distorted preamp for gain. It sounds good, but something is missing (or to much of) when turning the distortion amp on, compared to the clean amp model. My thinking was that it would be nice to play those to into some type of spectrum analyser to match the freq better. Can this be done and how?

/Danne

Here's something that may be of use (free): http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_FreqAnalyst/

There is also a built-in vst called ReaFir, probably less useful than the above link.

iZotope makes a rather expensive suite of tools, one of which is specifically tone matching: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mixing-mastering/ozone/

I think you're on the right track with trying to see what the frequencies look like because you may be running into some phase cancellation when turning on the distortion amp leading to the perception of something missing.

Or you could just continue to use your built-in hearing. Likely less accurate, more time consuming, and very susceptible to ear-fatigue without you even knowing.

Here's something that may be of use (free): http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_FreqAnalyst/

There is also a built-in vst called ReaFir, probably less useful than the above link.

iZotope makes a rather expensive suite of tools, one of which is specifically tone matching: https://www.izotope.com/en/products/mixing-mastering/ozone/

I think you're on the right track with trying to see what the frequencies look like because you may be running into some phase cancellation when turning on the distortion amp leading to the perception of something missing.

Or you could just continue to use your built-in hearing. Likely less accurate, more time consuming, and very susceptible to ear-fatigue without you even knowing.

Will look in to this!

This might be covered in some ways allready but here we go.

I'm not really trying to exactly replicate somebody's bass tone or anything but if someone knows a simple way of doing that with your POD HD500X and plug in for DAW (Reaper 5) please go ahead!

What i'm trying to do is this: I have I clean bass tone that i'm quite happy with. For distortion I run i parallell signal with distorted preamp for gain. It sounds good, but something is missing (or to much of) when turning the distortion amp on, compared to the clean amp model. My thinking was that it would be nice to play those to into some type of spectrum analyser to match the freq better. Can this be done and how?

/Danne

I don't know how you make your dual amp bass patches, but the best way I have found to do this is to high-cut the clean path and low-cut the distorted path.

Use a guitar amp & cab for the distorted path and maybe a screamer.

Maybe if you would tell us the tone you are after, we could help you better.

The spectrum analyzer would be no use for you, if you don't have an isolated mono track of the tone you are after. So your best choice is to start using your ears and your hands to tweak your patch.

If you start doing this, I can guarantee that after a certain point, your ears will be trained enough that you will be able to build any tone you wish with the Pod HD.

Hope these help! :)

I don't know how you make your dual amp bass patches, but the best way I have found to do this is to high-cut the clean path and low-cut the distorted path.

Use a guitar amp & cab for the distorted path and maybe a screamer.

Maybe if you would tell us the tone you are after, we could help you better.

The spectrum analyzer would be no use for you, if you don't have an isolated mono track of the tone you are after. So your best choice is to start using your ears and your hands to tweak your patch.

If you start doing this, I can guarantee that after a certain point, your ears will be trained enough that you will be able to build any tone you wish with the Pod HD.

Hope these help! :)

Thanks for the input!

I'm currently using the GK amp sim for clean and I'm happy with the sound I'm getting. Perhaps some high cut would be in order. Suggestions without altering the sound?

For the distortion I'm using the Engel F-ball pre and I think I'm getting some where now (had some wierd phase issues). Where would you set the low cut?

Thanks for the input!

I'm currently using the GK amp sim for clean and I'm happy with the sound I'm getting. Perhaps some high cut would be in order. Suggestions without altering the sound?

For the distortion I'm using the Engel F-ball pre and I think I'm getting some where now (had some wierd phase issues). Where would you set the low cut?

You basically need the bass response from the clean path and thehighs from the distorted path. So I would try cutting around anything above 500-700 Hz on the clean path and anything below 600-800 Hz on the distorted path. But these numbers are really subjective, therefore you should try for yourself what you like best.

I also believe that if you set up your patch like this, you won't be getting any phase issues.

You basically need the bass response from the clean path and thehighs from the distorted path. So I would try cutting around anything above 500-700 Hz on the clean path and anything below 600-800 Hz on the distorted path. But these numbers are really subjective, therefore you should try for yourself what you like best.

I also believe that if you set up your patch like this, you won't be getting any phase issues.

The problem is that I i don't use it like a distortion patch for bass. I use it like a pedalbord with the clean amp on all the time and using the preamp more like a distortion pedal (along with other fx) when I need it. EQ:ing your whay would thereby unfortunately not work for me.

The problem is that I i don't use it like a distortion patch for bass. I use it like a pedalbord with the clean amp on all the time and using the preamp more like a distortion pedal (along with other fx) when I need it. EQ:ing your whay would thereby unfortunately not work for me.

But what would be the problem if you had a clean patch and a distorted patch? You could save both in your Pod HD and with a press of a button, you could be changing them really fast.

But what would be the problem if you had a clean patch and a distorted patch? You could save both in your Pod HD and with a press of a button, you could be changing them really fast.

The problem is that I like to play with different effects and beacause of that like to have acces to them all as I wish. I might set it up another way some day but now I preffer not.

The problem is that I like to play with different effects and beacause of that like to have acces to them all as I wish. I might set it up another way some day but now I preffer not.

I still don't get what is the problem here. You can have any effect you want in any of these 2 patches and you can control up to 4 effects in each patch.

I still don't get what is the problem here. You can have any effect you want in any of these 2 patches and you can control up to 4 effects in each patch.

Yes, I'm aware of this. There 3 reasons this is a problem for me.

1.) I use 5 and not 4 effects (not counting comp) and like to turn them, and the distortion, on/off as I go, regardless  of each other.  When setting it up in patch-mode, I have to order them differently while subtracting or adding the 5th one (as you said, you can only control 4 in each). This is a total mind lollipop for me and I need to be thinking about more important stuff like playing. That being said, I have been thinking about setting it up in patch mode and for example, leaving one fx like delay on with one patch, so I can go clean -> clean/delay.

2.) When switching patches there is a small but really annoying moment when the sound cuts out.

3.) When switching patches the delay doesn't trail off.

And this is why I prefer my POD HD500X i 1-8 mode :)

Yes, I'm aware of this. There 3 reasons this is a problem for me.

1.) I use 5 and not 4 effects (not counting comp) and like to turn them, and the distortion, on/off as I go, regardless of each other. When setting it up in patch-mode, I have to order them differently while subtracting or adding the 5th one (as you said, you can only control 4 in each).

You can assign more than one effect to the same footswitch. So unless you're a strictly "one effect, and only one at a time" guy, then you should be able to do what you need in ABCD mode as well, and with less tap dancing. If you have even one effect that's always on, or a pair that are always used together, then your problem is solved.

You can assign more than one effect to the same footswitch. So unless you're a strictly "one effect, and only one at a time" guy, then you should be able to do what you need in ABCD mode as well, and with less tap dancing. If you have even one effect that's always on, or a pair that are always used together, then your problem is solved.

Yes I'm aware of that, but already stated my reasons. A little tap dancing is fun :)

• 1 month later...

Okej after a whole lot of tweeking I realized this approach probably is the best one for my needs (sorry for being a bit stubborn). How would you set up such a "crossover" betweend the amps? I tried with the mid focus but it only works to around 500 Hz for both high/low pass. Any  suggestions?