Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Control Helix App From iPad or Android Tablet

radatats

Chuck R. over on the FB Line 6 Helix User Group turned me on to a great solution that lets you have complete control over your Helix app from your iPad or tablet from literally anywhere.  It uses an app called Splash Top (free for personal use) that lets you remotely view and control your computer screen from your tablet.  I just loaded it on my Kindle Fire HD and my desktop and bamm, there was my Helix editor fully functional on my tablet, wireless from another room in the house.  The resolution is good but quite small as you would expect but normal pinch to expand works fine. 

It's not perfect but it is a solution for those times I want to work out an idea and get it programmed for testing later without having to go to the studio.  Might not be helpful to many of you but I thought it was worth sharing.  Hope it helps someone...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's not perfect but it is a solution for those times I want to work out an idea and get it programmed for testing later without having to go to the studio. ...

Sounds great. Thanks.

I think the Helix editor requires that the Helix device be on and connected to the computer. Is that always the case for you, or would you have to go to your studio anyway to turn the Helix device on?

a surface 3 and above should also do the trick.  Its a full windows 10 machine capable of running the editor directly.  Probably really cheap on the used market considering the huge success of the early windows surface units.  :blink:​

Thanks for the promo Rad!

Here is the link to my video that shows how well it works:

This is absolutely awesome! Thank you very much! My only concern would be what permissions this iPad app has in regards to accessing my computer. I would hate to be logged into my bank and have that info being shipped off to a server somewhere. Do you know anything about the security on this app and how much access it has to your computer once installed? I looked at the permissions it requires for an Android download and through Microsoft and they look pretty extensive.

There are some articles out about security issues with Splashtop and other remote screen apps. People employing this solution may want to use this on a laptop that has no personal information on it although Splashtop does seem to have some methods for locking things down fairly tight.

http://www.securityweek.com/hackers-turn-remote-desktop-tools-gateways-point-sale-malware-attacks

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/06/splashtop-remote-desktop-for-ipad-app-gets-impressive-update

Some user discussion on security

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-apps/7315-splashtop-remote-desktop-security.html

I have a Dell Tablet with an Atom Processor running full Windows 10 and the editor will not run on it.  Test the Surface units first.

It works natively on my 2014 Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet with Windows 10 and i5 processor.  Haven't tried it over splashtop yet though.