Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Adding A L2t To Hd500 And Blackstar Amp Question....

Robzebr

Hi,

I was able to make the 4 cable method work ... going back and forth between my amps preamp and the HD500 being the preamp...just with one stomp... works great ... with a little volume tweaking...That's using the amps power section... and either the Blackstar preamp or the HD500 preamp driving a 2x12 cabinet...

Let's say I get a L2t... If I'm connecting the 500's R (mono) to the Blackstar amps FXreturn... and L (mono) to the L2t input....

THen I will get sound out  of both... whether I am using the Blackstar preamp.... or the HD500 to do the modeling....  whatever comes out of the 500's R mono and L mono goes to whatever you plug R and L into....

So when the Blackstar preamp is selected... both speakers play it...

When the HD500 is doing the modeling ... both speakers play it...

Can you think of any issues with this?    

I guess it would be ... just make it work... (tweak it) on a patch by patch basis...

Oh.. almost forgot...  The MIXER....   Path A and Path B...  that only pertains if I have a Dual Path model set up.. correct?

In other words... Path A and Path B  (in the mixer)... has nothing to do with R(mono) ... and L(mono)

Said another way...  "I can't use the mixer Path A and Path B  to tweak the volume levels of R and L... correct?

If I'm not using the Dual Path feature in the HD500... then Path B in the mixer is a mute point... correct...?

So  then I wouldn't use the mixer to adjust the outputs to the Blackstar amp and the L2t....

In this case ... the increasing of the level on Path A would impact both outputs... R and L jointly... so the output to the blackstar and the L2t go up and down together....

Any volume tweaks would have to be done on the individual equipment... either the amp or the volume control on the L2t.... (?)

Did any of that make sense?  Basically I'm trying to see how by adding a L2t to the Blackstar and the HD500...  how does that impact the issues of configuration... limitation... etc...

Thanks,

Bob

4CableMethod.jpg

This should be doable. The mixer can adjust the output of the right and left output but you'll want to make sure you pan path1 hard left and path 2 hard right to ensure separation. You'll also have to be careful not to place any mono summing fx after the mixer.

If you use the 2LT in FRFR mode you'll need to include the cab model on path 2 but turn the cab model off on path 1, otherwise it may not sound great through the Blackstar.

Out of curiousity what is the goal of this setup? To get a stereo rig? Running acoustics into the 2LT? It seems that you could greatly simplify by using one or the other.

"The mixer can adjust the output of the right and left output but you'll want to make sure you pan path1 hard left and path 2 hard right to ensure separation."

Thanks for the reply.  

No, I'm just reading learning and seeing whats possible..  I like the L2t because is versatile for so many things... small pa for a lecture, speaker for a outdoor party with mp3 input, and of course guitar/band settings...

I'm messing around with HD Edit with the 4CM.  In order to use my existing amp as the preamp the patch looks like this...

signal in - no effect-no effect-no effect - studio EQ+12db - FXLOOP - no effect - no effect - no amp selected(black amp icon) - mixer - to the output...

So when I hit this patch.. the FXLOOP sends the signal out the FXSend to my preamp.. then back in on FXReturn.. and then no effects or amp models selected to the mixer... and then out... to the FXReturn on my amp...  so with this patch the HD500 is acting as a soft switch ... routing the signal to my amp with no HD effects or models selected...

On a different patch... I take out the FXLOOP so no signal goes to my amps preamp,  it goes though the HD500 as it normally would where I can add models or effects or whatever...  so back and forth from this Patch 1 to Patch 2  its either just my amp ... or just modeling...  and right now the output goes to the power section of my amp and output to the 2x12 cabinet that I have...  works great...

So then I was wondering.. how to set it up so on the same patch I can have both the sound of my preamp and a modeled amp ... with the sound of my preamp going to the existing 2x12.... and the modeled sound going to the L2t....

I have to mess around with it but I think I need to do the dual path in the HD500 software early in the signal chain...so as to split out the signal for my preamp... on Path A... and on Path B configure it for whatever model I want ... and then bring it back together in the mixer at the end....  something like this...

signal in to HD500... Dual Path A-B split out...  on Path A... FXLoopSend to my preamp... FXLoopReturn .. then no effects - to the mixer .. and out on L(mono) to my amps FXReturn...

On Path B... select a model ... and then straight thru to the mixer and out R(mono) to the L2t....

"The mixer can adjust the output of the right and left output but you'll want to make sure you pan path1 hard left and path 2 hard right to ensure separation."

So then I was wrong with what I said earlier... ??  The mixers function is to adjust the 2 sides of the signal   A and B...  ... so that is not? related to the Dual Path scenario?  but to the outputs on the HD500 R(mono) and L(mono) ...

So picture dual path with a Fender and a Marshall.... what is the mixer doing at that point... Is it adjusting the output of the amps on A and B in the mixer...?   Or is it adjusting the output on R(mono) and L(mono) ?   

Or is that the same thing?   I might be confusing what the mixer does in the mixers Main Mix Path A and Path B... I'm looking at a patch I made with a single amp path... and in the mixers Main Mix ... Path A and Path B are both active and configurable... so that tell me that in that case its talking about R(mono) and L(mono) outs...

In a Dual amp Path ... same thing... both A and B are settable in the mixer... So the mixer's Path A and Path B is referencing ... what level do you want each out to be..?

How does one know which output R - L is which amp in a dual amp config...?

Thanks for the reply....

You are on the right track - and I believe you should be able to do what you want (send path A to your 2x12 and path B to the 2LT). Path A and B in the mixer are both in stereo, so you have a lot of flexibility with what sounds actually get to which output. If you did not pan them hard left/right then you would get both chains to both outputs.