Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone using the Helix for bass live?

njglover

And if so, how are you running it? Straight to the PA and monitoring out of the wedges? In-ears? One line to the PA and one to an amp? Effects only? I set up a preset to run a signal with no amp models out of the 1/4" jack to go to my amp for a stage monitor but a modeled output (basically modeling my same amp) out of the XLRs to go to FOH. The thought was that there was no way I'd be able to hear myself on stage without a real amp up there with me, but the exact opposite seemed to be true. Granted this engineer seemed not to really know what he was doing, but for our first song he had the bass cranked in the monitors. I have never even heard bass in the monitors at all before last night. It was thin, for sure, but I could definitely hear myself. So now I am curious how other people might be using it. On the one hand, it would certainly be easier to just bring a bass and the Helix, on the other hand it would probably sound really boring on stage without a proper amp rumbling the floor. (Keep in mind that I am mostly talking about places that have proper PAs. Obviously I would have to use my amp at smaller venues without a real system)

I'm reduced to only playing a church gig in a small, wonderfully live early 1900's church that has an amphitheatre C-Shape.  

My faithful Demeter pre-amp is showing it's age, so I did the same thing, without the FOH feed.  I usually play guitar, but the couple times I've covered bass, I've used the Helix with preamp models, into my Crest power amp and a Goliath II.  The SV Beast Normal pre sounded wonderful, but it was a little too big for the room, so I used the G Cougar 800 pre.

I still like the consistency of "my gear with my sound" on stage.  It takes a certain soundman to get DI right and I've worked with too many that couldn't deliver to my satisfaction.  I've often felt like I'm "mentally compensating" to play - instead of just playing.

The pastor of this church is a really good working soundman with a pro system that he loads in every week - one reason this church felt like "home", even before we played there.  He has bass players in a couple of his regular bands that run DI.  

He'd like to bring his bigger JBL monitor in and have me try it sometime.  It will probably be a while, but I'll let you know when I do.

I just tested with my Mesa bass amp and one of my JBL 515XT Eons. Doing 1/4" Helix Left Output to 1/4" effects return of the Mesa M9, then XLR Left out of the Helix to 1/4" of the JBL sounded great. I ran the full Helix Amp+Cab models. SVT Beast and Cali 400 models sounded great. I have a Mesa 400+ and Helix does a great job on that model...and I don't have to deal with the tubes!

With this setup, there is no need to configure two separate signal paths. Just set the what sounds good into the effects return of your amp. The sound guy will eq to as needed for the PA. Luckily the power sections of solid state bass amps are pretty clean. Bass cabs are sometimes bassier than PA cabs, but nothing that the sound man couldn't handle if you have the preset fine tuned to your bass cab.

Going to try Helix on live bass now for the first time this Friday. Although it will be for a medium 100-200 person venue through my own amp. This particular guy I play with only has two 15" speakers on poles and no subs. I will just be running my Mesa M9 and 2x12 cab, no bass signal to the mains or monitors. So it's not really the exact configuration you are requesting.

I'll probably go ahead and set my rig up 4CM so I can get the real preamp from the M9. But as 4CM will pass the preamp from the M9 effects send to the Helix, I still would probably only send the Helix Left XLR to the PA.

I was considering taking a JBL Eon instead of the Mesa M9 2x12, but I REALLY like the sound of my bass rig at that venue.

I run the Helix as both a guitar and bass rig at the same time. I usually play bass but for a bunch of songs in the set, I switch to guitar and the key/harmonica takes the bass. I run the minotaur set all the way to no gain as a compressor, an LA comp for some tones, a couple different EQ's the Teemah, and a chorus. I run that DI and also have a 2X10 amp for stage that I can adjust. Sound guy does what he needs to FOH which includes (2) subs